News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Random Pagan Verse

Started by vbgamer45, January 13, 2012, 06:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

I believe that the problem is indeed your portal mod...

The issue is that the portal mod assumes control of the "home" page....   and, in some cases, it appears that this assumption screws up several mods that target the same area or use that area of code to set themselves.

i.e. Every portal mod that I have tried (except ADK Portal) kills the ADK Blog mod
I know that the random verse mod works with SimplePortal and EZPortal...   I don't know about ADKPortal, PortaMX or Tiny Portal
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deaks

more trying to get it to work with the portal aswell :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

DarkAngel612

http://angelwingcreations.thefantasiesattic.net/forum/index.php?action=forum

it shows on the portal page and in the category/topic areas but not main board index.

just my own personal site that has no members.
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

IchBin™

Quote from: Kindred on April 22, 2012, 06:52:32 PM
I believe that the problem is indeed your portal mod...

The issue is that the portal mod assumes control of the "home" page....   and, in some cases, it appears that this assumption screws up several mods that target the same area or use that area of code to set themselves.

i.e. Every portal mod that I have tried (except ADK Portal kills the ADK Blog mod)
I know that the random verse mod works with SimplePortal and EZPortal...   I don't know about ADKPortal, PortaMX or Tiny Portal

Yes, the problem is indeed that the portal assumes control of the section where an action is not set. SimplePortal will have the same exact problem. The problem will show in at least SP, TP, and PMX from what I recall of how they work. 

I guess those portals are "crap" too? ...

Either way, this could be fixed in this mod if it was wrote using hooks. Wouldn't even require file edits if it did.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Kindred

Ummmm... You quoted me, but I never said that any portal was crap...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

IchBin™

Yeah I should of hit return there eh? :D Wasn't directed at you.

Deaks

IchBin, bad news for you this mod works fine with SimplePortal or it did when I tested it.  So please chillax.

And I dont think all portals are crap ... just the ones you have touched :P

(Brad before you go cry the tongue is there to indicate a joke)
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

IchBin™

Actually no it doesn't work with simple portal. It has the same effect on SP that darkangel was indicating that it had on TP. I just tested SP, TP, and PortaMx. And the mod behaves the same on all of them as I mentioned it probably would. While the install problem was because of TP removing the comment, the problem with your quotes for this mod displaying is what I'm referring to.

If you'd like I can show you a way to code this so it would work on any site without having to worry about file edits.

Deaks

please would save me alot of time and would hopefully solve this issue :)
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

IchBin™

Quote from: Runic on April 23, 2012, 11:00:08 AM
please would save me alot of time and would hopefully solve this issue :)

Check it out Runic. This why hooks are so cool! No file edits required now. Credit goes to Emanuele for the cool do_hooks.php code though. :) The rest is just a matter of knowing what the hook does and how it's used.

Although I'm not sure if you intended the quotes to show on all pages, that's what it does for now. :) You can throw in some checks to avoid that if people want though. Anyway, here's the zip.

kyhk

How change text from Havamal Verse ?

DarkAngel612

YES! It now shows on all pages which is ok and all I had to do was find the proper places to add the apostrophe's, additional breaks and give border/color of box/font size....you know just a few tweaks.

Thanks guys
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

IchBin™

Quote from: kyhk on April 23, 2012, 02:16:54 PM
How change text from Havamal Verse ?

Change it in the Themes/default/PaganVerse.english.php file.

Deaks

Thank you Brad I will update the mod shortly :)

kyhk: out of curiosity what do you feel needs changed in the Havamal, these are the english translations from the words of Odin (browsers wouldnt accept it written in runescript), so I am unsure why you would wish to insult Odin and change his words.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Deaks

The mod has been updated to include IchBins, and I do wish to thank him for doing this for me.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

IchBin™

No problem Runic. It's not real complicated. So this should give you a glimpse into how useful hooks can me. And a reference for others to see too if they need to look at something using them.

kyhk

I added my own text in PaganVerse.english.php at Havamal please, but still showing original Havamal messages. what is wrong?

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

kyhk

My own text
<?php
//Havamal
$txt['paganverse1'] = 'Added text <A HREF="http://www.link.com">link</A>';

and deleted other 165 lines from Havamal but other lines I left.

Deaks

post the exact file .... makes it alot easier to give help ...
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Advertisement: