News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

I'm having a massive spamming problem

Started by krash661, January 15, 2012, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

Absorb

Hi krash661,

I had massive spam problems until I started using the verification questions right.

Before I was using them - Spam everywhere

When I first started using them I put in simple questions like "what is the sum of 2 + 3" - Answer "5" and those Spam Bot programs were still getting through big time.

How I rectified - I put a picture on my front page that had letters in it and I asked the verification question of what were the three letters in the picture. People registering simply had to scroll to the top of the page to get the answer and this was an impossible task for an automated Spam Bot, they do not see pictures on a page, just text.

I was reading in another part of this forum where someone else had the same problem and they had a picture of an Eagle in the background - They asked the question "What is the Animal in the picture"

Until you organise the picture try a difficult type of simple question that everyone should know
Q. "What is big, furry, white and growls that lives at the North Pole" - A. "Polar Bear"
Working to decrease our dependency on Fossil Fuels with Hydrogen
http://www.reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum

Arantor

QuoteWhen I first started using them I put in simple questions like "what is the sum of 2 + 3" - Answer "5" and those Spam Bot programs were still getting through big time.

Math questions are trivial to beat. As a guide, try searching for them on Google and see if you get the answer. Even your question, if put into Google will yield the Wikipedia page for 'polar bear' as the first response, and it won't be long before it's broken.

Better still, pick a question that applies to what your forum is about, rather than a general one. You get the benefit of likely keeping bots out but you also help keep out the sort of people who just sign up to spam (because they're the ones who will have to do some work to find the answer)

Advertisement: