News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[SOLVED] Proper "Local Path to SMF"

Started by Augster, January 18, 2012, 05:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augster

Read the online manual to understand what should be the "Local Path to SMF" under Admin->Configuration->Database and Paths as I'm having difficulty installing a mod (Bad Behavior), but I'm unsure what file path should be entered

Currently, the path is: /hermes/bosweb/web296/b2961/ipg.mydomain.com/forums
I assume it should be: mydomain.com/forums [nofollow]

I logged in the FTP site and verified that the path "/hermes/bosweb/web296/b2961/ipg.mydomain.com/forums" does NOT exist.

My SMF is latest 2.0.2.

So what should the real path be?

Arantor

No, that IS the local path. What you see as 'mydomain.com/forums' through FTP is only part of the physical path - the full path is the real location on disk. I assure you, it does exist, you just don't see it because FTP doesn't let you see the entire disk.

Augster

Oops, I modified my question as I dug further.

The question now is whether the path "/hermes/bosweb/web296/b2961/ipg.mydomain/forums" under Admin->Configuration->Database and Paths is truly "accurate" or whether it should be "mydomain.com/forums"

This is all because I can't seem to install the Bad Behavior mod as it tells me it doesn't have WRITE permissions, but according to Admin->Package Manager->File Permissions, the path "/hermes/bosweb/web296/b2961/ipg.mydomain/forums" has full write permissions (755).  Same with the Packages directory.

Arantor

Quote/hermes/bosweb/web296/b2961/ipg.mydomain/forums

This is the real physical path.

Quotethe path "/hermes/bosweb/web296/b2961/ipg.mydomain/forums" has full write permissions (755).

That path might have full write permissions but you also need to extend the same permissions to every file in Sources/, every file in every folder in Themes/ and also to Packages/ (and a temp/ folder if there wasn't one created)

Augster

Quote from: arrowtotheknee on January 18, 2012, 06:08:01 PMThat path might have full write permissions but you also need to extend the same permissions to every file in Sources/, every file in every folder in Themes/ and also to Packages/ (and a temp/ folder if there wasn't one created)

According to said Admin section, all directories show 0755 and all files show 0644.  :o

I selected the Packages directory an applied All Files Writeable, but still NO-GO with Bad Behavior as it says "You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

Arantor

Is Packages/ writable? Is there a folder in it called 'temp' that's also writable?

Augster

Yes Packages shows Writeable (0755); and I set it to apply to all enclosed files and directories and SMF showed the progress as it iterated through all child files/folders.

There is no "temp" directory listed in the FILE PERMISSIONS page.  Since I can't "FTP" to that directory, I can not view any child files/folders under Packages, nor is it a "hot link" like other directories listed (e.g. Themes).

Arantor

Why can't you get to it via FTP? (Proper FTP, not through SMF)

It sounds like you'll have to make said temp folder, you see.

Augster

I don't see the path "/hermes/bosweb/web296/b2961/ipg.mydomain/forums" when I use an FTP client.

Arantor

What you see in an FTP client is the very end part of that. It's still the same thing, just your FTP client hides it away from you for a variety of complicated reasons. They're exactly the same just referred to in different ways because of limitations in the FTP protocol.

In your FTP client, go make the Packages/temp folder, and then see what happens.

Augster

Geez.  Okay, I ignored that "hermes" path and simply located my SMF forums directory via FTP, found the Packages directory, created a "temp" directory (0755) and Bad Behavior was able to finally install.

WHEWS!  And THANKS!

But why was this directory not automatically created or present if mods require it?

Arantor

QuoteGeez.  Okay, I ignored that "hermes" path and simply located my SMF forums directory via FTP, found the Packages directory, created a "temp" directory (0755)

*shrug* You just used a different name to refer to the same thing. It's still the hermes path being changed...

QuoteBut why was this directory not automatically created or present if mods require it?

It's supposed to be but on some configurations it just won't be.

Augster

Quote from: arrowtotheknee on January 18, 2012, 06:28:29 PM*shrug* You just used a different name to refer to the same thing. It's still the hermes path being changed...

Understood.  Like network shares wherein the share name (typically just the "final" directory of the path) you see on the network is different than the "true" path on the server.  Got it.

Advertisement: