News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Offline editor

Started by meetdilip, January 20, 2012, 08:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meetdilip

There are many limitations to online editor that is pre loaded in web page. A word like offline editor can be a first from SMF kind of addition in forums. It can have

1. All BB codes SMF supports (can release updates as and when we have more options).

2. Preview option.

3. Live preview pane as in Kuenena.

3. Better tables and list feature.

4. Create in WYSIWYG mod but post as normal code.

any additions are welcome.

It will help a lot while creating articles off line. We need not be browser dependent all the time. And helps advertising SMF as BB codes are more or less the same.  People using other script will come to know about SMF. Like Cynogenmod for Android, if it is made open source, we can demand them to leave SMF logo and link intact.

Arantor

Or do what the rest of us do: write the base text offline and copy/paste it into the editor for formatting.

NanoSector

Just do it in Word (or OpenOffice.org), paste it in the WYSIWYG editor in SMF and everything gets the correct style. Basta, done.

Plus the Live Preview stuff can be done in WYSIWYG, the Preview function is integrated, and there's nothing really to change about the Tables feature as far as I know...
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

meetdilip

Quote from: arrowtotheknee on January 20, 2012, 09:41:08 AM
Or do what the rest of us do: write the base text offline and copy/paste it into the editor for formatting.

Much easier this way, I feel. Won't be much trouble to make one. Considering the popularity it will receive, SMF can definitely take advantage. 

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on January 20, 2012, 09:49:59 AM
Just do it in Word (or OpenOffice.org), paste it in the WYSIWYG editor in SMF and everything gets the correct style. Basta, done.

Does word / open office support BB codes ? If we type in red bold in those editors, does it comes as red coloured and bold in SMF editor ? Also embedded links like Source can be done with those ?

Arantor

QuoteMuch easier this way, I feel. Won't be much trouble to make one. Considering the popularity it will receive, SMF can definitely take advantage.

Oh, you are kidding, right? It's really NOT that simple to make one.

QuoteIf we type in red bold in those editors, does it comes as red coloured and bold in SMF editor ?

If you read the post as stated, you'd have the answer. SMF has a WYSIWYG mode. When you paste into WYSIWYG mode, it deals with that FOR YOU.

NanoSector

Quote from: meetdilip on January 20, 2012, 09:53:33 AM
Quote from: Yoshi2889 on January 20, 2012, 09:49:59 AM

Does word / open office support BB codes ? If we type in red bold in those editors, does it comes as red coloured and bold in SMF editor ? Also embedded links like Source can be done with those ?
Everything done in OpenOffice that's pasted into the WYSIWYG in SMF gets copied exactly as it is. No BBCode involved as the WYSIWYG editor alters the styling code to work like BBCode (in other words; paste so it converts to BBCode > post)

Let me test that:
Some bold text with some colour!

^ That's just made in OpenOffice. If you don't believe me I can upload screenshots.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

meetdilip

QuoteEverything done in OpenOffice that's pasted into the WYSIWYG in SMF gets copied exactly as it is. No BBCode involved as the WYSIWYG editor alters the styling code to work like BBCode (in other words; paste so it converts to BBCode > post)

Let me test that:
Some bold text with some colour!

^ That's just made in OpenOffice. If you don't believe me I can upload screenshots.

The bad thing about conversing in text. My tone was neutral, never knew about that. :)

I did try W..G editor, members were complaining it of being buggy. Line spacing had some problems to mention the least. I don't see W..G it enabled here either. Thanks for the info. Embedding links and images can be done this way ?

Arantor

Links yes, images probably, provided they're done as linking it by URL.

It's available here, it's just not used by default.

meetdilip

Thanks. Is Open office open source ?

Arantor

Hmmm... yes? openoffice.org will tell you plenty more.

NanoSector

Quote from: meetdilip on January 20, 2012, 11:27:15 AM
Thanks. Is Open office open source ?
Yup. And free. I prefer it on top of Microsoft Office. The address is not just the name, it's also their home page.
http://openoffice.org/

Quote from: meetdilip on January 20, 2012, 10:45:19 AM
My tone was neutral, never knew about that. :)
Heh, mine was too. Just an If, y'know ;)

Arantor

Personally, I'd also consider LibreOffice as well, but that's just me.

For the record, my tone wasn't neutral. I have a problem with people who fail to read the posts actually given and feel the need to re-ask a question that was already answered before.

NanoSector

Quote from: arrowtotheknee on January 20, 2012, 12:16:19 PM
Personally, I'd also consider LibreOffice as well, but that's just me.
Well, you can try every one you can get, actually. It's a matter of personal preference to choose which one you like most.

For the record, my tone wasn't neutral. I have a problem with people who fail to read the posts actually given and feel the need to re-ask a question that was already answered before.
In my opinion, it does not help to yell at users and get mad at them. Some users need a bit of time to understand what's being told, and as such they fail to properly read the instructions. I'm not trying to be mad at you, but have you ever had a situation in which you had to re-read the instruction manual of the product? That's what's going on with newbies. Maybe you can't imagine that with all the experiences you've had with SMF, but the newbies need to read the instructions a few times before actually understanding.
(yup, I may sound confusing but 'ey, just ask again if you don't quite understand ;))

Arantor

QuoteWell, you can try every one you can get, actually. It's a matter of personal preference to choose which one you like most.

And bug fixes...

QuoteIn my opinion, it does not help to yell at users and get mad at them. Some users need a bit of time to understand what's being told, and as such they fail to properly read the instructions

I wasn't referring to the instructions. I'm referring to this very conversation.

QuoteThat's what's going on with newbies. Maybe you can't imagine that with all the experiences you've had with SMF, but the newbies need to read the instructions a few times before actually understanding.

You know, I didn't just magically have SMF dumped into my brain. I was a newbie once too. I'll note that it was 3 years between my starting to use SMF and my first post here originally.

There's a difference between having to re-read the manual and re-ask a question that has been answered just above where you're writing.

meetdilip

Quote from: arrowtotheknee on January 20, 2012, 12:16:19 PM

If you think that keeping silent means a person is a fool, I can't help. My apologies was to @ Yoshi2889 who cared to mention a way as an alternative. I ignored your post as you had nothing useful to offer and used that tone. I prefer to keep quite if I have nothing good to say. Do you think a person running an SMF site for more  than 2 year would not know about W...G editor ? I see only 500 posts to your credit, I have 20,000 + useful in many forums. That is there, this is there, if it is so why make Windows 7 ? Windows XP was good, Why linux, Ubunutu, why update SMF ? It will be great help if you keep you " I am the king attitude " with people who have no other go but depend on you.

I have every right to make a suggestion and it is quite possible for a team which made such a great script to make such an editor. If you do not like anything other members say and nothing useful to offer, would be basic manners to ignore the thread or at least not to taunt them since I do not see a staff tag under you name.

Arantor

QuoteDo you think a person running an SMF site for more  than 2 year would not know about W...G editor ? I see only 500 posts to your credit,

This is a new account. My previous accounts here totally more than 45,000 posts. Just go looking around for the name 'Arantor'.

Here's my problem. It was stated that the WYSIWYG editor could do this. If you weren't sure what that was, why not ask what 'WYSIWYG editor' is or how to activate it? It's been in 2.0 for years. But instead, you asked whether Word support bbcodes, which to me sounds like just ignoring what was said to you.

This is why I get so frustrated, and I'm sorry you're getting the rough end of it (today marks the second anniversary of the passing of my father, so I'm in a more crabby mood than usual) - but when information is given that you don't understand, it's great to ask. But when information is given and promptly seemingly ignored... what am I supposed to think?

NanoSector

Guys guys guys, no fighting, please.

@arrowtotheknee: I am sorry for you and your father, I honestly didn't know - However, I can agree with meetdilip at some points.
He's just like me - He's trying to follow up the support in the topic whilst trying to solve the problem on his own. That's why it seems like "information is ignored", but in fact the user is just posting his own suggestion, fast-forwarding over the previous information and as such skipping some of it.

And, if I may ask anyway, why are you creating new accounts all over the place? This is confusing lots of members, to be honest. Somebody comes in, looks like a new person but in fact is somebody with a lot of experience which has been on this forum for way longer..?

(I'm sorry this is going off-topic, if you don't want this discussion anymore, just tell us so we can continue with the real subject :))

Arantor

QuoteThat's why it seems like "information is ignored", but in fact the user is just posting his own suggestion, fast-forwarding over the previous information and as such skipping some of it.

And you like offering suggeestions that get ignored?

As for accounts, I deleted the last ones out if frustration at how things were going, came back to answer one person's question and ended up getting sucked into helping more out of pity.

NanoSector

Quote from: arrowtotheknee on January 20, 2012, 03:48:56 PM
QuoteThat's why it seems like "information is ignored", but in fact the user is just posting his own suggestion, fast-forwarding over the previous information and as such skipping some of it.

And you like offering suggeestions that get ignored?
I never said that -- I said, that if my suggestion gets ignored for one reason or another, I don't get mad, because it's pointless and will just give you the attitude of "king know-it-all so don't ignore me". I'm not telling you this because I like starting fights -- I'm telling you this because I've seen several people look at you like that.

As for accounts, I deleted the last ones out if frustration at how things were going, came back to answer one person's question and ended up getting sucked into helping more out of pity.
I've had frustration on this account too, but I never ended up deleting.
Forgetting by destroying is never the good way to solve your problems, y'know.

Arantor

Thing is, I'm choosing to spend my time offering support, so when it gets ignored, it isn't about "knowing it sll", it's another reminder of how much time I've wasted trying to help people and that I shouldn't have bothered.

Advertisement: