News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

google checkout

Started by rocknroller, January 21, 2012, 06:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocknroller

about subscription payments.

any news on this?

ethankcvds

One of the Devs said sometime ago about needing to provide documentation on how to extend the subscription service.
No Pm's for support please!

Arantor

Can't see it happening for a while.

There's already more than one subscription handler in the repository that is yet to be released (and Google Checkout isn't even on that list but I can't remember what else is), so it's possible that it'll be a while.

Does Google Checkout support something similar to PayPal IPN for notifying a site of payments?

ethankcvds

Quote from: Arantor on January 21, 2012, 07:06:16 PM
Can't see it happening for a while.

There's already more than one subscription handler in the repository that is yet to be released (and Google Checkout isn't even on that list but I can't remember what else is), so it's possible that it'll be a while.

Does Google Checkout support something similar to PayPal IPN for notifying a site of payments?

It seems they do https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!category-topic/checkout-merchant/integration-troubleshooting/mfcEes7QY5o
No Pm's for support please!

Arantor

Hmm, looks like it's a fair bit different to what PayPal's does so that may adverse affect how it can be implemented - it may require far more than a drop-in script as the subs system was supposed to be.

SleePy

I did some research on this for another script I was going to write.

Google Checkout is missing a few key features.
One of them is a true subscriptions system.  They appear to have one but its still very unclear on how to use it and not an easy to toggle between a subscription and a regular payment.
The second happens to be a IPN feature.  Far as I can tell google will not send back a request to a secret url once it has completed the payment.  So this basically leaves the code on our side up to wasting resources to continue to check that the payment came through or something.  We cant' rely on the user clicking the correct continue/return url as if they don't then SMFs subscription system will never know.  I suppose some hackery could be done to allow us to force a check.  But again wasting resources on something that if Google implanted would make it so much easier to handle things like this.

I don't think using any of their advanced shopping cart features or things like XML/HTML API requests should need to be done.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

vbgamer45

I heard the support for them is not that great from Google  and would be worried if they drop the product.
Haven't seen any major advantages for using them.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: