News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Like system

Started by Ashley S, January 28, 2012, 01:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley S

Hello guys.
I think on the next update SMF should come with a Like System.

Where you can Like posts like you Like comments on Facebook.
A bit like XenForo.

What do you guys think?
Thanks.

Oldiesmann

I agree. I think this could be a useful feature for a future version of SMF, given how the internet is becoming more and more "social", even in the world of forums :)

There is already a mod for this as well, but it's not free (see http://www.smfpacks.com/likes if you're interested).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Ashley S

Thanks for the reply, Oldie :).
I don't think i'll be buying that SMF Likes Modifications, I will have to wait and see if this feature gets added ;).

hcfwesker

You do know the author offers a 'free' version for his Likes MOD.  It just doesn't have all the features the Likes PRO version has  ( Ex. Lite version only allows members to like the 1st post of a topic) http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3029

But the Pro version is where its at. :)  Even if SMF added a system like this, I'd still use Nibogo's paid version.

oOo--STAR--oOo

Or you could edit the thank you mod and change it to LIKE..
You can't fool a sufficiently talented fool.

http://www.uniquez-home.com
In Design Phase!

Mods I am designing,  No refresh Collapse Categories , Poll Redesign , Pure CSS Breadcrumb , Profile Statuses, Profile Views.

Norv

I've been quite against the social features in general. I'm quite sure I have changed my mind on at least a few. The web is changing, and the users find more value in interacting more than just discussions in themselves (as the forum is, basically speaking).
I guess we have been spoiled by social networks. :)
Dunno if in a nice sense or not, lol.

On the like system, though, dunno. I think there's another discussion in these boards (I don't seem to find it now) about details as to how it would behave.

As a general idea, though, I will mention that this kind of features are not going to be implemented in SMF 2.0 or 2.1, but for SMF 3.0, with a strong preference for being optional features.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

impreza

for integration in the sense like it to facebook and google + is also I agree
Portal ToTemat.pl - treści w postaci artykułów i filmów tematycznych.

Norv

Quote from: tomeh on February 22, 2012, 03:13:40 PM
for integration in the sense like it to facebook and google + is also I agree

Just to be clear. This is already for SMF 2.0 implemented as mods (these are 3rd party mods today that can be found on the customize site afaik). This will always be "external" (mods, modules, plugins), and that's intended. While I understand the appeal and usefulness of the 'sharing on' buttons, they have no place in core in any sense. Not only because of third-party sites, which is an item to consider, but also, they enable a tracking of users activities, from G+/Facebook servers, which not something SMF will ever do - nor enable - , itself.
As long as admins choose their mod/module/plugin themselves, and want to set up this, that's their choice to make. SMF will not do it.

Most of the features discussed here may or not be default, one way or the other. I just want to be clear, that this particular one won't. I'm not sure if I'd favor it as official modification... maybe, dunno.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

spiros

Norv, I was pretty much against social implementations as well, for the very same reasons (user privacy), but the web is changing very fast. What I mean is that one simply cannot ignore the boost in traffic that may come with social features enabled. Facebook, to start with, is much more popular than OpenID. Many more users are likely to use Facebook log in than OpenID log in. For example vbulletin offers Facebook Connect, facebook log in out of the box, since 8 April, 2010, vBulletin 4.0.3.

I would hate SMF being left behind. I am sure it could be an optional feature that the admin can decide on.

Kindred

again...    facebook, twitter, google+ connections are all available as mods.
the "like this post" option is available for many services in many combinations in many mods...

I don't see this as being a standard part of SMF.
OpenID is/was completely different in that it was a standard, not a specific third party.

(also, I'll note that, if you are comparing softwares - WordPress doesn't have it out of the box either - nor should it)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ashley S

I think SMF should come with a like system anyway without using a Modification.
Same with a built in Facebook, Twitter connections, but you must enable it through the Admin Control Panel.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ashley S

I like the XenForo like system, built in.
I think all forum softwares should have it to be honest.

Kindred

personally, I hate it. :P

That being said, there are several mods which do this sort of thing and they don't seem to be the most popular in the system.

As for third party stuff like facebook, etc...    we've already discussed why it would not be appropriate as a feature.   SMF doesn't typically include things which require third party systems or accounts as standard features.
Слaва
Украинi

Ashley S

Okay, well this has been discussed enough now ;)

I request this topic to be locked.

Kindred

oh, no need to lock it.    If others have any input on why they think it would be a particularly good (or bad) idea
(other than  I like it or I don't like it -- ACTUAL input) then they should be able to contribute.

If this is eventually/actually rejected, then it would be moved to the accepted/declined board. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Ashley S

Alright thanks ;)

Edit: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=421381.0
Lab, is making a custom Like mod.

Which I will be using.

Oldiesmann

There's also one from Nibogo available for $15 from smfpacks.com.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

TheListener

The danger I see is the Likes being misused.

Ashley S

Quote from: Oldiesmann on March 27, 2012, 12:35:38 PM
There's also one from Nibogo available for $15 from smfpacks.com.

I ain't paying for mod.
Lab is making a free one, which is up on release in 2 weeks.

Advertisement: