Add & Create Social Media Icons To Profiles

Started by hcfwesker, January 30, 2012, 10:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elf_fu

Thank you!

And as far as waiting is concerned, you made a mod that's free to use with your own free time. People have lives and obligations. No matter how eager I am to get something fixed, you're doing this for free. I can wait as long as it takes! xD

So far the custom link to phpBB forum profiles works perfectly, thanks for setting me straight!

Unfortunately, I tried the edits to my Display.template.php as you suggested, then cleared cache, refreshed website, logged out and logged back in but it seems that icons are still out of alignment.

GR

hcfwesker

Quote from: elf_fu on August 12, 2013, 01:18:21 AMI tried the edits to my Display.template.php as you suggested, then cleared cache, refreshed website, logged out and logged back in but it seems that icons are still out of alignment.

without testing myself, gotta take babysteps lol.

Where you just made these edits ...

// This shows the social media icons.
if ($message['member']['has_messenger'] && $message['member']['can_view_profile'])
echo '
<li class="margintop">

JUST below that last line <li class="margintop"> in the file is <ul>
Find
<ul>
Replace with
<ul class="reset nolist">

hcfwesker

Quote from: CheeseHead05 on August 09, 2013, 09:46:04 PMWhen I click the icon, I only get facebook's sign in page.
Most likely because you're adding your entire facebook profile URL in the field, when all you have to do is just add your facebook username. The one that shows at the END of your facebook URL (thats all you're suppose to add to the field)

elf_fu

Quote from: hcfwesker on August 12, 2013, 01:31:34 AM
Quote from: elf_fu on August 12, 2013, 01:18:21 AMI tried the edits to my Display.template.php as you suggested, then cleared cache, refreshed website, logged out and logged back in but it seems that icons are still out of alignment.

without testing myself, gotta take babysteps lol.

Where you just made these edits ...

if ($message['member']['has_messenger'] && $message['member']['can_view_profile'])
            echo '
                        <li class="margintop">

JUST below that last line <li class="margintop"> in the file is <ul>
Find
<ul>
Replace with

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY that fixed it! Thank you so much for your time and patience! It looks so much better now!  :laugh:

GR

TopCatToo

Hi,

If it helps anyone.............

I was getting the "8 Undefined index: customsmiicon"  on Load.php Line: 1315, error every time a post was viewed, even after a clean install of this mod at v1.1.0.

Following the advice here all the changed files and database all seemed OK, so........

I un-installed v1.1.0 and installed v1.0.7 (which provides all that I need) and all now seems well with no errors.

Steve

hcfwesker

Quote from: elf_fu on August 12, 2013, 04:39:21 AMthat fixed it! Thank you so much for your time and patience!

You're welcome :)  If that theme has it's own files like personal messaging and profile you may want to look at them as well and make sure they are aligned too.

Quote from: TopCatToo on August 12, 2013, 11:22:24 AMI was getting the "8 Undefined index: customsmiicon"  on Load.php Line: 1315, error every time a post was viewed, even after a clean install of this mod at v1.1.0.

I un-installed v1.1.0 and installed v1.0.7 (which provides all that I need) and all now seems well with no errors.

yeah, if you dont plan on making your own custom icons for other sites and just want to use the default ones with the MOd, then v1.0.8 or below is the more ideal one to use.  Though, the temp fix is to create a custom SMI icon and add an image with it, then just leave it 'inactive' in the settings.

I'm keeping track of all current issues and plan on updating with the fixes, just finding the time to do it is any ones guess :D

TheListener

Quotejust finding the time to do it is any ones guess

* Grumpy Old Sod stands behing Wesky with a whip in hand

:D

CheeseHead05

Ive installed this mod in another forum, made all edits to the folders that allowed me to (some edits my notepad++ couldn't find) but the icons aren't showing up on the forum profiles.

TheListener

CheeseHead05

Grump,

I transferred the files to my current custom theme from default. When I go to to add my name in the field and click save, it doesn't save.

hcfwesker

Quote from: CheeseHead05 on August 18, 2013, 12:08:04 AM
Ive installed this mod in another forum, made all edits to the folders that allowed me to (some edits my notepad++ couldn't find) but the icons aren't showing up on the forum profiles.

^^ This statement is about as confusing as it gets.  :o

Quotemade all edits to the folders that allowed me to

so you're saying you didn't do ALL the edits that are required?

Quotesome edits my notepad++ couldn't find

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you just left off edits your Notepad++ couldn't find for you??  You do know you don't have to search the exact phrase listed. If it doesn't find the exact set of lines then it means edits were made for those lines. 

This MOD adds the social networks icons BELOW the instant messaging icons.  So just try searching the files for things like yim or msn  .... 9 times out of 10 that search will take you straight to the set of lines in the file you're searching foe.

Quote from: CheeseHead05 on August 18, 2013, 01:06:03 AMI transferred the files to my current custom theme from default.

Wait!  What!  So you're saying your siye doesn't have it's own theme file labeled 'default'??  That's gonan be your BIGGEST problem with installing MODs.

Quote from: CheeseHead05 on August 18, 2013, 01:06:03 AMWhen I go to to add my name in the field and click save, it doesn't save.

Have you checked in your database for smf_members and made sure facebook, youtube, etc got added towards the end of the columns.  If you in fact manually installed this MOD, then the mistakes and reasons it's not working is because you messed alot of edits or installation parts up.  No other users are having these issues like this with adding the MOD.

Kindred

hcfwesker,

at this point, I think that it is very clear that cheesehead has absolutely no clue what he's doing and actually should not be allowed near a code editor... He ignores required edits (because he couldn't find the exact code -- which - if it was present, the auto-installer would have found in the first place) and he makes changes (and copies files) without actually understanding what he's doing.

Cheesehead...   why would you copy files into your custom theme directory? ???
The mod parser will tell you what edits need to be made to your custom theme... every other change should be made to the template files in the DEFAULT theme directory.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

hcfwesker

Quote from: Kindred on August 19, 2013, 02:29:09 PM
hcfwesker, at this point, I think that it is very clear that cheesehead has absolutely no clue what he's doing

I know.  But some reason I'm just compelled to try and help.  Even though for the past few weeks of trying to help CheeseHead it just feels like I'm on a figure 8 racetrack going in infinite circles lol. 

Problem is, this is getting nowhere and it just boils down to the fact it's not the MOD's fault these things are happening, and I can't go any further with support for you, CheeseHead, without getting into your site, see it's files, and database myself and just see what the heck is going on with what you've done. 

NekoJonez

Quote from: hcfwesker on August 12, 2013, 01:06:32 AM
Quote from: NekoJonez on August 03, 2013, 03:08:06 PM
Maybe this is reported already but all profile fields I create with this mod, aren't hidden for guests.

Seems that even though SMF2 defauult Custom Profile Fields are located within the "guests cannot view" parts of the mini-profile, they're still viewable to guests.  I haven't tested, but perhaps try this in the Display.template.php ...

Find
// Any custom fields with Social Media?
if (!empty($message['member']['custom_fields']))

Replace with
// Any custom fields with Social Media?
if ((!empty($message['member']['custom_fields'])) && !$context['user']['is_guest'])

Yes, this one fixes it. :D Nice! Thanks a lot.
Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

hcfwesker

Quote from: NekoJonez on August 23, 2013, 01:17:56 PMYes, this one fixes it. :D Nice! Thanks a lot.

Nice, I'll bookmark that post and add it to my update queue

elf_fu

I hate to be back here, but I've noticed a few things:

If anyone accidentally places the entire URL of the link for their profile instead of just the last few images, the list/disarray of information on their mini profile returns and, it stays even after they fix it.

What a profile with the feild filled out correctly (or left empty looks like)

What it looks like when user places entire URL instead:
Do you have any idea what is causing it and what I might need to fix? Same theme, browser and info basically from before on my part.

GR

hcfwesker

Quote from: elf_fu on August 28, 2013, 12:50:06 AM
I hate to be back here, but I've noticed a few things:
If anyone accidentally places the entire URL of the link for their profile instead of just the last few images, the list/disarray of information on their mini profile returns and, it stays even after they fix it.

First off, IF they mistakenly add the wrong bit of info to the specific SMI field, all it's going to do is redirect the image to an "URL not found" page ... it won't cause what you're seeing.  The problem is you are possibly using default SMF2 Custom Profile Fields along with this MOD, which causes the profile to lay out in a disarray.  There's a fix for that that I supplied earlier in the topic for another member with a custom theme, hopefully it'll work for you.  I'm not sure what all changes you've made, so if you can attach your Display.template.php file in a reply I'll take a look at it and see if the changes would work before supplying them.

If you want to try it your self,
Display.template.php

Find
echo '
<li class="margintop">

Replace With
                                 echo '
<li class="margintop">
<ul class="reset nolist">';
echo '

If that doesn't fix it by itself, then try this ALSO with the above changes.

Find
if ($shown)
echo '
</ul>
</li>';
}

// Show the profile, website, email address, and personal message buttons.

Replace With
if ($shown)
echo '</ul>';
}

// Show the profile, website, email address, and personal message buttons.

elf_fu

Thank you AGAIN so much!

This right here:
                                 echo '
<li class="margintop">
<ul class="reset nolist">';
echo '

Fixed it immediately for my Argentum theme. And I was able to edit myself--without making everything explode! All thanks to you :3 Sorry for being such a clueless noob and appreciate all the help!

GR

estes

i just installed this mod on SMF 2.0.5.  when i navigate to the Admin > Configuration page i dont see any links for Profile Fields.

the install said it installed correctly.  did i skip something?

hcfwesker

Quote from: estes on September 09, 2013, 10:17:02 PM
i just installed this mod on SMF 2.0.5.  when i navigate to the Admin > Configuration page i dont see any links for Profile Fields.

the install said it installed correctly.  did i skip something?

Admin > Configuration > Core Features > "Click on Custom Profile Fields to Activate"

Goto the Core Features link in the admin panel and you must first enable the default "Custom Profile Fields" setting for this MOD to work.

Advertisement: