Add & Create Social Media Icons To Profiles

Started by hcfwesker, January 30, 2012, 10:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcfwesker

Let us know.  I personally don't like the 'core' theme and choose not to support it with my MODs.  So there may be more required if that doesn't work.

Starz0r

Quote from: hcfwesker on September 20, 2013, 04:35:32 PM
Let us know.  I personally don't like the 'core' theme and choose not to support it with my MODs.  So there may be more required if that doesn't work.
Alright, when I did this the icons for the mod seem to be unaligned to the normal Social Media Icons.

ModList:

hcfwesker

It would be easier for me to help you, if you could post a screenshot, and attach your Display.template.php file

NIAB

Hey guys,

This is more dirrected @   hcfwesker

Would you be ablle to make a little extra addon for this so it is possible to users to add authentication codes, and the linking, to their profiles? Reason is I am trying to have feeds/statuses from each of the networks added on their profile page.

Example: http://i.imgur.com/rq5uPPM.png

With Twitter, Instagram, and most others, you need auithentication with their new API. It can all be retreived via RSS, but that can get quite messy.

Let me know if it's possible via reply or PM. Thanks

hcfwesker

Kind of confused on what you're asking, because all this does it link to that member's social media profile page (offsite).  It doesn't collect any info from that social media site nor display any info from the social sites in their profile.  They're just favicon's in members profiles that loink to their social site profile. 

<--- like how my profile has the profile and online/offline message image at the bottom of my mini profile, thats all this MOD does is add stuff like that.

NIAB

Yeah I know, was just wondering if ya could help me take it a little bit further and enable users to setup feeds on profile pages. All I need is to know how to setup an extra field for it

NIAB

Nevermind, checked out your code for installing the mod. It's not too complicated when adding more too it. Hardest part was the SQL, but I got it. I'll post the completed product to show you what I achieved with your awesome mod :) Love it

Kindred

looks like you double installed...

you will have to manually uninstall the duplicated code (probably from several files)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

[OG]Anirudh

Quote from: Kindred on October 30, 2013, 07:56:43 AM
looks like you double installed...

you will have to manually uninstall the duplicated code (probably from several files)
how can i?

Kindred

you will have to manually edit the files....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

[OG]Anirudh

Quote from: Kindred on October 30, 2013, 08:04:13 AM

you will have to manually edit the files....
:( no other way..??

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

hcfwesker

yup, you made a double install, indeed.  if that screen shot is the only page affected, start with Display.template.php and remove the dupliicate code for this mod in that file and go from there. but be sure you know what youre doing before attempting.

Anarchology

I've been playing around with this MOD in order to remove a couple unwanted fields as well as add some custom ones. Once of which is add the feature of having a custom one setup that would direct to a member's in-side blog. However, I want to it setup so that by default for every member, the value is not only default (seen already typed in when changing their profile), but also is shown as default under their user info in every post until they otherwise change it to their liking.

I figure that the block of code in the mod that would need to be modified is in Theme/defaul/Profile.Template.php. The original snippet of it for Facebook is below:

<tr>
<td><b>', $txt['smi_facebook_title'], ':</b><div class="smalltext">', $txt['smi_facebook_desc'], '</div></td>
<td><input type="text" name="default_options[facebook]" maxlength="25" size="24" value="', @$context['member']['options']['facebook'], '" /></td>
</tr>

I tried just adding text to value="', but that only created text that then would just disappear. I'm trying to figure out a way to make that default value live for everyone until they manage to go in and change it to their liking. I feel like I'm just some simple snippet of code away from accomplishing it, but I'm scratching my head to say the least.

Thanks in advance!

hcfwesker

im on my cellphone atm so can't give any technical help.  but if i understand what you're asking, it means you would have to change the field in the database to have a default value rather than 'null'(no value by default) as it is in the database.

doing this for custom ones you create is actually much simpler, but cant explain off the top of my head until i get home.

please provide me with as much info as possible on what youre trying to do. if it is a custom social icon, post what all info you're using when creating it.  please DO NOT edit any codes in any files related to this mod. it wont do what you're wanting, and break functions for the rest of the Mod icons.

Anarchology

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized I didn't mention I'm using 1.1.19 in my previous post. I now see that 1.1.x and 2.0.x are vastly different in install and setup.

Install details
- Currently on 1.1.19
- Manually installed MOD to the four files
- I never touched the database when installing (i.e. used an executable file to implant tables)
- No Admin panel options as the code is generally easy to work with

Overall, the only files modified have been...
Themes/default/Display.template.php
Themes/default/Profile.template.php
Themes/default/PersonalMessage.template.php
Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php

I haven't changed any of the coding, but have removed the codes for Social Networks that wouldn't really apply to the forum like Pinterest and LinkedIn.

Example of what I'm trying to figure out using Facebook for example, and want a default FB profile:

- For example, facebook.com/JohnQPublicccc
- Want JohnQPublicccc to be pre-typed in the field in everyone's profile
- Have the icon show up under their details on every post by default
- The member can change it to whatever they want, but unless they manually change it the default JohnQPublicccc will always show.

Ultimately, I was planning on just modifying the code for the ones I'm not using like Pinterest to add a custom field that would be member blogs that would point to something like blog.mysite.com/[the user's input or otherwise a default page as explained above]. In this case, I assumed I could just then change all parts of the code from let's say 'pinterest' over to 'myblogsite', change the destination address setup, and also the icon.

I hope this helps out. I do understand that the 2.0.2 version of the mod likely comes with more features, and that the Install.php file deals with the database changes. There didn't seem to be an install file needed for 1.1.19.

hcfwesker

unfortunately, as stated on the Mod Download page, the create your own icons option, is only available for Smf 2.

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

If anyone is interested, I have a method of customizing/tweaking this mod so that spammers cannot exploit it with their stupidity... it only requires one other mod and some minor tweaks to Profile_Modify.php, & what happens is that members will not be able to post anything in selected Profile fields until they make a preset number of successful posts...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Advertisement: