News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Constantly getting "SMF Database Error!" emails

Started by hiwd, February 19, 2013, 06:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hiwd

Hi all,

I am constantly getting an "SMF Database Error!" email from the forum. I have checked the forum logs and there is nothing in releation to a database error.

Also I have checked the MySQL server and all looks like, the site is never not accessable and is always running quickly, so I don't think it is a server side issue.

Anyone know if there is other ways of looking into this?

Cheers.

Kindred

well, there will not be any error in the forum error log since that requires the database to store it.

you can always check with your host....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ricky.

Let me give you more info, I used to get that error from one of my smf forum when suddenly there was a spike in load and MySQL server restarts and for few moments its is not accessible and thats when I used to get that error.

I solved that problem by moving my that forum to better server.

hiwd

This is a dedicated server I have root access to. It only has a hand full of web sites on it and a pretty good spec. I have been watching server load and check logs, MySQL is not going down. I installed fresh copy of SMF on a new hosting account on the same server and have not been getting emails from that.

I'm just a bit stumped where to look next.

Ricky.

Well, this issue probably goes into server performance section and also you should check stickies there.

hiwd

I have made tweaks to MySQL config, adjust max load/connections and have been monitoring it. It is not going down yet I am still getting email's. The forum is not running slow and I have never seen a database issue.

I also upgraded MySQL to the latest stable verison along with PHP and I'm stilll getting emails at least once an hour.

LiroyvH

Means there still is an issue with your mySQL server that makes SMF be unable to connect to it.

What is your mySQL connection limit set to and do you use persisting connections in SMF?
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

hiwd

Hi,

Persistent connection is not enabled but I will give it a try.

Max connections is currently set to 500.

Thank you for the replies.

LiroyvH

I wouldn't enable persistent but you can give it a try nontheless, lol.

I'd up the maximum connections to a higher count, see if it helps. :)
Try something like 1024 for starters.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

hiwd

Thank you. I have upped the max connections to 1024 and enabled persistent for now, its a dedicated server with only a handfull of other very small web sites so should be ok. I will continue monitoring.

No email's the last hour anyway.

hiwd

No email's since 2PM GMT today, thank you for the help guys. Really appreciate it.

Ricky.

Glad to know that, it simply means you were reaching your max connection limit. Have you looked into script I mentioned ?

hiwd

Quote from: Ricky. on February 20, 2013, 11:31:02 PM
Glad to know that, it simply means you were reaching your max connection limit. Have you looked into script I mentioned ?

I have not had a chance yet, I was planning to trial it later today. Thanks again.

butch2k

Advertisement: