[WIP] Mobile Notifications System

Started by Matthew K., February 02, 2012, 11:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSector

My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Matthew K.

Unfortunately, Email-to-Text is a little bit more difficult than just knowing the carriers name.

Each carrier has an extension that allows email-to-text. For instance, AT&T's is [email protected] and Verizon's is @vtext.com and so forth. I need that extension for each network I add to the compatibility list or it won't work.

NanoSector

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 04, 2012, 12:19:05 PM
Unfortunately, Email-to-Text is a little bit more difficult than just knowing the carriers name.

Each carrier has an extension that allows email-to-text. For instance, AT&T's is [email protected] and Verizon's is @vtext.com and so forth. I need that extension for each network I add to the compatibility list or it won't work.
Ah, I see. I'm not into carriers, lol.

Then I can't really help you, I'm afraid :(
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Matthew K.

Yeah, unfortunately I can't add a carrier without the extension :(

Right now, I am having some issues with Verizon Wireless phones receiving mail from the server (PHP mail();) so I am going to be placing a call soon to see if I can't straighten things out. I don't plan on continuing until the main couple networks are working with my system.

Matthew K.

Now, the verification system has been tested and confirmed functioning for Verizon Wireless, AT&T, and Sprint. Onward I go.

JBlaze

It's a great idea in theory, but actually getting it to work in even an average sized forum would be futile. I spent the better part of 8 months trying to get it to work with my stress tests, and had a message drop rate of just over 30%. When you're sending notifications, anything over 5% is unacceptable.

The best way to go about it would be to sign up for SMS gateway and pay a subscription fee or whatever they do now. That's the only way to guarantee better results than just the standard email-to-SMS method.

Good luck though. It would be awesome if this works!
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Matthew K.

Thanks for stopping by, JBlaze! It's really unfortunate that email-to-text isn't more reliable.

In all of my tests, I have not had any issues, although I trust you that they exist on larger scales.

Have you found a good SMS Gateway yet? I'd love to add their API to this modification too.

JBlaze

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 04, 2012, 04:24:29 PM
Have you found a good SMS Gateway yet? I'd love to add their API to this modification too.

Never bothered with a gateway, although I had thought of setting one up on my own. Unfortunately, the lack of money and time prevented that.
Jason Clemons

Matthew K.

JBlaze

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 04, 2012, 04:28:18 PM
Okay, well I appreciate the input :)

No problem. This was one mod that I had high hopes for. Unfortunately it just wasn't feasible to mass-produce it. You're definitely going to run into some problems on different hosts and server setups, especially if you want to go the API route with a Gateway service.
Jason Clemons

Matthew K.

Is there any real point in continuing then? I assume you've already done your research since you yourself also attempted this.

Should I not be wasting my time, and spend it writing something that will function properly?

JBlaze

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 04, 2012, 04:31:40 PM
Is there any real point in continuing then? I assume you've already done your research since you yourself also attempted this.

Should I not be wasting my time, and spend it writing something that will function properly?

It's totally up to you. There is a lot of work involved in this, and in the end it's up to you if you want to invest that much time into something you're not going to get paid for. If you're willing to put in the work, then by all means keep going with it. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.
Jason Clemons

Matthew K.

No, I appreciate that, and I most definitely would rather hear the sad truth than not know until it's completely done.

I think for now I am going to put a stop on the project, and if eventually I can think of a good reason to do it, or am comfortable spending the time with the strong possibility of it not functioning for a lot of people, I might pick it up once again.

Thanks again! :)

JBlaze

Jason Clemons

Matthew K.

Advertisement: