Problems with installing modifications

Started by Cyber™, February 06, 2012, 05:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber™

Hello,

I'm having problems with my board (2.0.2, fresh installation). When I try to install the modification (after solving issues with file permissions and temp folder within Packages dir), I'm able to finish the installation, and it says: The mod is succsessfully installed, you will be now redirected to the settings page (or something like this), but then it turns back to the main admin panel page. When I go to Admin panel / Configruation / Modification settings - there is nothing. The only mod I was able to install is OHara YouTube Embed (even there, the text on settings page is missing, but looking at the code itself I've understood what to do on settings page). Mods that are "installed" (but not functional) are: Add Facebook like to posts, SA Facebook, Simple portal, Header addon. When I try to uninstall them, the test is failing for almost all files.

My first SMF installation was done using Installatron (od DirectAdmin), but after that I have downloaded and uploaded a fresh copy of files to the server. The result is the same, I can't install (or make working) any modification. It's such a frustration that I began to consider changing the software for my board. Which is the solution I would like to avoid.

Any idea? Anyone willing to take a look? Thanks in advance!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can see more details here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=467828.0

Edit: here is the board. Here is PHP info page.
The opinion is like an asshole. Everybody has one.

Sitepearl

Not that you would have posted this without checking, but the mods you have are compatible with your SMF release, yes?

Matthew K.

Suki's modification is compatible with SMF 2.0.2...your best bet is to post in her modification's support topic directly.

Cyber™

This is something that is SMF/my server/host related.
It's not a single modification issue.
Not compatible mods won't install, so I'm talking about compatible which are not installed correctly.
Anyway, thank you for your replies.

Anyone else has an idea how to solve the problem?

Matthew K.

The first part of my post was in response to Sitepearl's question. The second part of my post was for you.

It's related to Suki's mod, post in her mod support topic.

Illori

but the op is having issues with other mods, so it is a server configuration issue, not a mod issue.

Quote from: Cyber™ on February 06, 2012, 05:13:26 PM
Mods that are "installed" (but not functional) are: Add Facebook like to posts, SA Facebook, Simple portal, Header addon. When I try to uninstall them, the test is failing for almost all files.

Matthew K.

Just because the edits are failing on uninstall doesn't mean it's a server issue, it's possible the modifications conflicted, therefore not allowing them to be automatically unisntalled (via package manager).

Illori

please read the other thread on this issue, i determined it had to be a server configuration issue as the op says all folders are chmod correctly and chown correctly but they are still unable to get mods installed.

Cyber™

Is there a solution for this issue or I should give up?

Illori

have you tried chmod 755 for folders and 644 for files?

Cyber™

I have tried, but then...

An Error Has Occurred! You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

I'm a patient man, but this issue is really frustrating. I have no idea what to do to solve it.

Cyber™

I have double checked permissions and ownership now, and I have tried to install Ad Managment mod, which is compatible with version 2.0.2. Here is what I get.

Illori

that is normal, now if you apply the mod does it actually do the changes to your files or not?

Cyber™

When I try to apply it, it says:

The package was installed successfully. You should now be able to use whatever functionality it adds or changes; or not be able to use functionality it removes.

But I can't see any changes. Or I am stupid, or something is wrong.

Illori

there is no option in the menu to control the mod in the admin panel?

Cyber™

No option at all.
The same thing happened with ADK Blog mod. I have just installed it, but no result. And to be worst, I'm not able to change the theme now. I have changed it in admin panel & in my profile, but it still shows the theme I've used before.

Ok, I can roll back files from backups dir, but is this the solution?

Edit: the theme issue is browser related. If I use other browser to browse the forums, everything looks fine. Regarding the theme. But there are still no options for installed mods.

Illori

you can just uninstall it and ignore the errors as the server is not writing to the files. if you go to admin -> package manager -> file permissions and click on the sources folder does it say writable next to the folder and files in it?

Cyber™

Illori

Quote from: Illori on February 07, 2012, 05:30:46 PM
if you go to admin -> package manager -> file permissions and click on the sources folder does it say writable next to the folder and files in it?

Cyber™

When I click on the Sources folder all files under it are writtable.

The same thing is with the Themes folder. But for some reason, the Package dir is not clickable, although it says it's writable. Strange or normal?

Advertisement: