News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

embeding video

Started by jimv8673, February 08, 2012, 03:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimv8673

what do i have to do to allow embedding code in the posts, right now my forum will accept NO html in posts, and all embed code shows up as text instead of the normal video thingy???  I would also like to allow HTML to be posted.  Thanks for the help

Illori

the way smf works it would be a HUGE security risk to allow everyone to post html, so it is limited to admin only. if you want video's embeded in your forum try searching the mod site and install one of the mods that will handle it for you.

jimv8673

It wont even let "me" do it, and i "am" the admin, and the security risk should be my decision to make. how do i fix that,  ill take your suggestion on a embedding mod, if that dont work ill be back.
;)  Thanks

Suki

Security risk is never a decision the final user should made, mostly because the final user don't have any idea of what a security risk is or look like.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

jimv8673

But, the user owns the forum and the hosting contract, and what makes you think anyone at smf has the right to make "any decisions" for me at all???  this is America where i live, and at least for now, i make my own decisions about what is good for me or not,  but trust me i know there are people out there just like you that think they should be allowed to make all decisions for everyone else in the world, Thats exactly what i fought in Vietnam, and Korea to put a stop to.

At any rate.  This is what i found to embed video in my posts with, can i just download it then use the package manager to install it correctly on version 2.2???  without doing any coding or decoding, whatever.??   and it wont break my forum??

Mod Name:
    YouTube BBCode
Created By:
    Nao 尚
Type:
    New Feature
First Created:
    September 11, 2007, 11:40:47 PM
Last Modified:
    August 13, 2010, 04:30:31 AM
Latest Version:
Compatible With:
    1.1.8, 1.1.10, 1.1.11, 2.0 RC1, 2.0 RC1.2, 2.0 RC2, 2.0 RC3
Total Downloads:
Notifications:
    Notify me of updates.

Suki

Do you only want to embed youtube videos or are you looking to embed videos from other sites as well?
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

jimv8673

i dont care about video period, but i have a Moderator who also owns a relivant YouTube site, that would like to imbed videos of his fish doing fishy things, so thats what i want for now.

Also why is it i cant put HTML in the posts myself??

Illori

you must not have the option enabled to use html in the admin panel.

Eudemon

as an admin, to use html code simple place a
[html][/html]tag between the codes

in case you want to embed it from ur server
i just gave support to a similar thread regarding how to do that if you're interested
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=468032.msg3271398#msg3271398
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=468032.msg3271415#msg3271415

kat

Admin>Posts and topics>Bulletin Board Code>Enable basic HTML in posts :)

jimv8673

Thanks  K@ it took you about 2 seconds to say what ive been trying to hear for about an hour, you should be put in charge of this board, thats exactly the kind of answers folks want, short, to the point and correct, without the gibberish and opinions thrown in,  thank you and i were the boss there,  you would get a raise today. 

and you as well  Eudemon  :)

kat

If they doubled my salary, I'd get... er... nothing! ;)

Glad to help, mate.

Eudemon

anytime, glad i can help  ;)

Advertisement: