News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Need Help: forum on fritz after 2.02 upgrade.

Started by alanbrit, February 09, 2012, 11:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanbrit

Hey guys, I am having some very annoying issues with my forum. I recently did a 2.02 upgrade according to the wiki and little things seems to be broken.

For example, As an admin, I cannot go to: ADMIN > FEATURES AND OPTIONS setting because I will get:

"Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again."

..and I cannot enable the WYSIWYG editor without getting "Your message body is empty" error - not only that, without enabling the wysiwyg editor, I cannot see the bold/italic/font buttons either. I want all the buttons (bold, italics, font, font size) and options and captcha like this particular forum when a user replies to a post or starts a new thread.

**edit: I just realized that the screenshot indeed has a "empty message body" - this error still happens with a full message body and thats the point I wanted to make, sorry about the misleading screenshot.

See screenshots of my errors: hxxp://imgur.com/a/Qj7YY

Ive googled and tried everything on the forums without much luck (including modifying php.ini, adding specific mods/code to ManageServer.php, modfying cookie prefix/path, dropping the session table from sql database, clearing out forum/browser cache, reinstalling, etc)

These are some of the errors from the log:  hxxp://pastie.org/private/vmihoccgmex4ynrtzv12g

I have 1 MOD installed: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2383 [To Remove The SMF Logo up top]

Here is a file-check report if it helps: hxxp://pastie.org/private/drarzdmwfyk5jr6tewuhjg

I have also ran the repair_settings.php file to be sure the paths are correct. Furthermore, My users are complaining with messages like:

"...Still having sporadic password rejections, possibly related to server response times..."

"..I'm not seeing my formatting tools (font size, color, insert hyperlink, etc.) in my posting screen.  Is this a personal setting that has changed or a global change?..."

"..I can't login sometimes, it says session verification failed..."

One last issue I am having is, unless I am really blind, I cannot find a option to show avatars underneath the username in message/topic view like this forum. The avatars show when you go to someones profile, but how can I enable them underneath the username in message view? I swear I have gone through every option.

I am generally decent with figuring out the problem via google and the reason I am posting here is because I have no idea what to do next.. I upgraded from 1.1.1 following precise instructions from the SMF wiki - which went well, but now I am discovering all these little glitches. For reference, I am currently using 1 theme - the default one (like this forum).

I would truly appreciate some direction from someone more experienced.
Thanks!
alan

P.S: I have attached the same attachments here, just in case.

kat

The session thing COULD be down to a corrupt cookie, Alan.

Try going to Admin>Server settings and simply renaming it.

Unlikely, I know. But, there's a remote chance that doing that might sort the other hassles out.

I realise it was because of your problem. But, anyway, we're glad to have you on board, mate. Welcome to the ol' forum! :)

alanbrit

Hey K@:

yes, I forgot to mention, I also tried renaming the cookie twice with no luck.

kat

Bugger. :(

Those session errors can be a real pain to figure-out, sadly.

If you do a search, here, you'll find it cropping-up, a lot.

One thing that it might be worth trying, is going to Admin>Server settings>Cookies and Sessions and looking at:

Enable local storage of cookies
(SSI won't work well with this on.)

Use subdomain independent cookies
(turn off local cookies first!)

One'll be selected, the other won't.

Try swapping 'em over.

Matthew K.

Have you tried running repair_settings.php? It sounds like the paths could possibly be off.

What is repair_settings.php?

alanbrit

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 09, 2012, 02:46:06 PM
Have you tried running repair_settings.php? It sounds like the paths could possibly be off.

What is repair_settings.php?

Quote from: alanbritI have also ran the repair_settings.php file to be sure the paths are correct.

Yup ^^

Any other ideas?

kat

Quote from: K@ on February 09, 2012, 02:44:18 PM

One thing that it might be worth trying, is going to Admin>Server settings>Cookies and Sessions and looking at:

Try swapping 'em over.

alanbrit

Quote from: K@ on February 09, 2012, 02:44:18 PM

Try swapping 'em over.

Hmm. I tried that and did the standard clear browser, forum cache type thing, but no difference. I get the same error. Strange that it's only for "ADMIN > FEATURES AND OPTIONS", my error log is also 5-7 pages long at this point (mostly from the same errors).

Check out the screenshot, those are my current settings. I swapped the local cookie option.

Anyone got any ideas? I highly doubt having this much issues is even remotely normal.

kat

Weird.

I'm off to bed, now, I'm afraid.

I'll try and keep my braincell warm, so that I can have another think, about this, in the morning. :)

Unless, of course, someone else can figure it out.

As I said, those session errors can be a right pig. :(

alanbrit

Quote from: K@ on February 09, 2012, 05:11:19 PM
Weird.

I'm off to bed, now, I'm afraid.

I'll try and keep my braincell warm, so that I can have another think, about this, in the morning. :)

Unless, of course, someone else can figure it out.

As I said, those session errors can be a right pig. :(

Enjoy your beauty sleep  ;) See ya in the morning.

A few updates:

1.) I figured out the Avatar & Formatting bar on new post/topic issue. That *seems* to be fixed at the moment.
2.) The session errors still exists -- for everyone. I included a small mod in ManageServer.php that will "IGNORE" session verification if it's an admin (which sort of helps me) but all my users are still getting this error

So, that is my priority #1. If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

alanbrit

Bump. Anyone have any ideas?

Just to recap, the two biggest issues I am having is:

1.) Session verification errors: hxxp://imgur.com/a/Qj7YY
2.) Lots of errors 200+ on the error log: hxxp://pastie.org/private/drarzdmwfyk5jr6tewuhjg

Any help would be appreciated!

kat

Sorry, mate.

Had a bit of hassle, here. (Cat's had heart failure)

Back in a while...

Matthew K.

What are the errors? And sorry to hear that, K@

alanbrit

@Labradoodle: Here is an updated copy of just the first page: (current at about 10 pages of errors: hxxp://pastie.org/private/5tajzvnt2gf0kozrqquba (Just need to replace hxxp with http)

@L@: Take it easy for a bit. No hurry.

Thanks

kat

Ta, guys!

Al... Can you go to Admin and "Disable evaluation of templates"?

That "eval" bollox is hiding the true error, I'm afraid.

It's in Admin>Server settings.

alanbrit

Quote from: K@ on February 13, 2012, 03:46:52 PM
Ta, guys!

Al... Can you go to Admin and "Disable evaluation of templates"?

That "eval" bollox is hiding the true error, I'm afraid.

It's in Admin>Server settings.

Hey K@:

Done, this is a sample output from it:

alanbrit
    Today at 08:44:41 AM
2022849cb132db4469429dc28138bbe1
Type of error: Undefined
http://domain.com/messageboard/index.php?action=admin;area=featuresettings8: Undefined index: descriptionFile: /home/alan/domain.com/messageboard/Themes/default/GenericMenu.template.php
Line: 303
    alanbrit
http://domain.com/messageboard/index.php?action=admin;area=featuresettings8: Undefined index: titleFile: /home/alan/domain.com/messageboard/Themes/default/GenericMenu.template.php
Line: 291
    alanbrit
http://domain.com/messageboard/index.php?action=admin;area=featuresettings8: Undefined variable: user_infoFile: /home/alan/domain.com/messageboard/Sources/ManageServer.php
Line: 2125

kat

That's screaming "Mod not installed properly!"

featuresettings8 isn't something I remember ever seeing.

Soooo... Which mod's it from?

Can you attach GenericMenu.template.php to your next post, so we can have a butcher's?

Matthew K.

Actually, can you attach ./Sources/ManageServer.php? That appears to be where the true error is.

kat

Matthew K.

I actually don't think there's any issue in GenericMenu.template.php, I think it's an issue caused by another file, and it's outputting an error in that file.

alanbrit

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 14, 2012, 01:26:36 PM
Actually, can you attach ./Sources/ManageServer.php? That appears to be where the true error is.

@Labradoodle: In the attached ManageServer.php - I made the following modification as an attempt to fix the issue (which never did - or rather, I am not sure about it even having an effect). I also tried it with the original file with no mods = same problem.

K@: GenericMenu is also attached for you - just in case.

I have only one MOD installed in the forum as mentioned earlier (http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2383) --- which I just found out was written by Labradoodle himself? Thats freakin' awesome :)

Anyway, let me know if you guys spot any issues -- having errors make me really nervous.

if ($user_info['groups']['0'] != '1') 
checkSession('request');

Illori

the line(s) causing the error in your mangeserver.php file are not in a default file. are you sure you dont have any other mods installed? or did you try to do any manual changes?

related to http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=453641.msg3173387#msg3173387 ??

alanbrit

Quote from: Illori on February 15, 2012, 05:42:17 AM
the line(s) causing the error in your mangeserver.php file are not in a default file. are you sure you dont have any other mods installed? or did you try to do any manual changes?

related to http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=453641.msg3173387#msg3173387 ??

Actually, that thread is exactly what I did on my own ManageServer.php -- and yes, that is the only MOD I have right now and was originally done to (hopefully) remedy the situation but did not help at all.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

kat

Hmmm... This is kinda weird.

What happens if you rename that file and put a virgin copy in it's place?

alanbrit

Quote from: K@ on March 01, 2012, 05:50:04 AM
Hmmm... This is kinda weird.

What happens if you rename that file and put a virgin copy in it's place?

Very strange. I had like 6 different versions of the file in a folder and I re-tried them all and one of them magically decided to work ('so far'). I do not have those errors anymore. Hopefully it will stay that way!

Thanks a lot everyone!

kat

Go figure!

Glad it got sorted, in the end, Alan!

Advertisement: