How can I manual convert a 1.x database to 2.x?

Started by richardwbb, February 13, 2012, 10:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardwbb

Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading to 2.x SMF, but I would like to be able to use a database copy, work for a week or so on the whole 2.x forum, where the database grows one week old.

Then, when all seems to work fine, I want to shut the live 1.x forum, copy it's database, convert it manually and make everyone happy.

Somehow I can not find how I can do this? I tried with the installer, but I can't figure out how to point to a database and make it convert to 2.x

If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

mashby

Do you have any mods or themes you are tied to? If not, I'd throw caution to the wind and follow live627's link's directions. Takes about 5 minutes. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

richardwbb

Do you mean that under this part in the smf upgrade manual:

Run the Upgrading Tool

This will convert the current copy of 1.x database, to 2.x?

I do have mods, there are only 2. At the moment, the installing of mods, blocks some .php file write and some it doesn't. Not sure yet, why. I work with an ISP and shared hosting.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Illori

richardwbb

Ah, I got it now, now I wanted to reinstall all the mods anyway, and be able to do a emergency full reinstall which mean I write down everything with the test install before thinking about messing in the live www space.

Illori

mods for 1.1.1* do not work on 2.0 they would need to be updated.

richardwbb

I have the country flags and the ARBP anit bot registration puzzle.

Even the slightest/ smallest mod's won't work?

How so?

Illori

no mods that are coded for 1.1.1* will work on 2.0, you will have to find updated versions of them or live without them.

richardwbb

Thats fine, I bet language flag won't be much of an issue to find again and there are a lot of anit-bot soft

Can you explain to me what is improved on version 2.0? I just ran in to that moderators have the right to post in locked topics and they complain to me.

But as site admin, I also seem to reply in a locked topic, which is akward to the users.

Can I take away this right somehow?

Or should I post a new question?

Illori

that is how it works, admin and moderators can reply to locked topics, in 1.1 and 2.0.

there are many changes to 2.0 but they are not really documented anywhere.

richardwbb

You are a hero!

May I ask, why is this implemented, when everyone, mods and site admin, have to unlock a topic first before being able to reply to it?

On our humble forum people stumble over this.

Can I post such things to support?

Illori

you dont have to unlock the thread to post to it if you are admin or moderator.

richardwbb

Exactly.

But the 'roadsigns' are there, only it is me and the mods, not reading those signs. We are kinda typing-bots, clearing our notifcations in our mailbox the whole day.

I would like the need for unlocking first, it seems more democratic to me.

Illori

richardwbb

Do you have a modding SMF 101?

I'm a PHP n00b but I would even hack the script somewhere, write that down in the emergency install as a 'must do but not urgent'

Also, I need to keep track of everything anyway, the owner of the club, where I volunteer as site admin, requires SMF and Drupal integration, including the shop modification, Drupal ridding Joomla and the shop for the merchandise (we are non profit)

And for now, my ISP tempts me with a 500 in there Installatron and say to me, I am doing something wrong:

I assume you know the feeling. About the ISP's I mean.

This is also why I write everything down, I just moved ISP, then notice that Installatron seems to work fine, but with SMF and the ISP tell me, I have made wrong file rights on the Apache.

Illori

if you are going to upgrade you should use our scripts to do it, otherwise we cant tell you what the results will be.

richardwbb

Argh.  ;D

Then I have to convince the ISP, that is telling me, file permission problem something to make him fix their PHP filter, am I correct?

Illori

php filter? what does that have to do with using our upgrade.php script?

richardwbb

Well, I have serious issues with installing mods which pinpoint to ISP issue.

The old ISP made a lot of logging telling me mod-security is in effect, also troubling SMF, but some inside friend installed that forum and I was not site admin back then.

The new ISP, I turned on PHP logging via .htaccess, seems to be restricting too, but I do not fully understand what PHP is saying in the log.

What I did find out, I install language flags for example (proper version on a 1.x SMF forum I am still on) it installes ok, I also can de-install it, but it turns out that *soms* file modifcations are succesful and some are *not* made.

So I ended up doing manual install for each and every mod, so I have a proper working forum right now, that wants to go 2.0

Also, aren't able to explain well but installing mods this way, ended up in a broken forum.

While I can install those specific mods on that specific platforum on a personal Linux server with no probs.

This tells me, ISP is blocking.

And my plan is to have quite some mods and also want to be able to go to 3.x SMF forum when it arrives.

I don't see how I can fix this myself, I do not want to install future mods manually, while I just did with the new ISP, but that was because else the users would have no forum at all.

I seek advice with convincing the ISP he is the culprit. (And SMF is awesome, so I only want SMF  and I know why  8))

Illori

if your host will not help you solve the problems, then maybe time to find a new host.

richardwbb

True.

But I am at the point to write unfriendliness to the dude telling me it's file permissions (bearing the booboo in their Installatron in mind)

Also I let them fix several things before (not SMF related) and what they have built being ISP for 2 years is very impressive.

I rather explain to them better before I play my anger card with them.

But, I am not sure how to get help with this and where in this forum?

Oldiesmann

I would recommend finding a real host. The hosting provided by ISPs is generally only designed for small personal websites and static HTML files. It's difficult to say what the problems could be as we don't know how your ISP has things set up.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

richardwbb

I am under the impression all ISP use soms form of PHP execution prevention. PHP is from CGI right?

PHP runs great on my Linux box, same SMF forum same mods, I do the same thing to several ISP, I can name 3, all seem to be blocking SMF somehow.

How come there is no better answer then get a good ISP, I seem not to know how to know beforehand what ISP is good and not. I can not get a free run with a decent host.

Also, I let them fix more stuff, especially mod security based and also another ISP helped me in similar 'PHP restrictions fixing', but not with SMF, that was another PHP based app also in Installatron, don't remember what exactly

Based on my experiences with ISP above, I don't see how to get a good ISP nor want to.

What I do know, SMF reports installed correctly, while it updates some files, but also some aren't updated. Existing in the same directory. File permission issue can't be the point, since I used FTP when installing for that, but there is no report in the log and again, SMF says correctly installed.

Am I missing something? With so many SMF users and zillion's of ISP's, all people switch ISP  to get SMF running? That can't be serious, no?

Oldiesmann

Quote from: richardwbb on February 14, 2012, 09:41:28 PM
I am under the impression all ISP use soms form of PHP execution prevention. PHP is from CGI right?

PHP runs great on my Linux box, same SMF forum same mods, I do the same thing to several ISP, I can name 3, all seem to be blocking SMF somehow.

How come there is no better answer then get a good ISP, I seem not to know how to know beforehand what ISP is good and not. I can not get a free run with a decent host.

Also, I let them fix more stuff, especially mod security based and also another ISP helped me in similar 'PHP restrictions fixing', but not with SMF, that was another PHP based app also in Installatron, don't remember what exactly

Based on my experiences with ISP above, I don't see how to get a good ISP nor want to.

What I do know, SMF reports installed correctly, while it updates some files, but also some aren't updated. Existing in the same directory. File permission issue can't be the point, since I used FTP when installing for that, but there is no report in the log and again, SMF says correctly installed.

Am I missing something? With so many SMF users and zillion's of ISP's, all people switch ISP  to get SMF running? That can't be serious, no?

Check out Paid Hosts and Hosting for suggestions of a good host. I've never seen hosts limiting PHP to specific directories like that.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

richardwbb

They don't Oldiesmann!

It's just another ISP not doing it's homework.

However I just switched ISP.

I was hoping for some more analysis on PHP issues on shared server environments.

richardwbb

I was able to advance on this major last night, till 7u30 in the morning.

First, I learned that mods seem to install in Subs and Templates directory, together with Packages directory for backup purpose.

Then I copied the live forum to my Linux server, learned that the specific mods, CountryFlags and ABRP, eat eachtother, since they both use this:

Find:
   // Are there age restrictions in place?
   if (!empty($modSettings['coppaAge']))

to place before.

This means, ./Themes/default/Register.template.php will fail for deinstallation. Also, I learned that and IDK how I did, but both mods seemed to be working with several of the same entries made, I also learned that was coincidental, the whole forum might fail or just a part of it, like profile page.

However, ABRP requires ./Packages/temp chmodded 777. This works fine on my Linux. With the ISP, this fails. I made the whole directory path 777, this doesn't help either.

So, that must be the reason for the issue with the forum, because ISP seems to block temp dir 777. I can workaround this, by installing on my Linux server, which gives a pretty safe way of adding more and more mods.

Also, the php error logging I enabled with .htaccess, is after a day of regular forum usage, on the live forum, still 0 bytes.

However, also CountryFlags doesn't install properly with the ISP, I am not sure why.

HTH

BTW

I was able to upgrade a 1.x forum to 2.x with the ISP on a testing domain. Database conversion went well, all with Installatron, which seems not to error anymore for reasons not understood.

However, now my template goes a little bust, which I happily will solve, but I still have trouble finding the logical route, it means a manual DB conversion since I must work on the 2.x forum first for the template and getting countryflags and abrp, to work, it's a chicken and the egg thing.

Matthew K.

There are four known bugs in the latest package of the Country Flags mod, if you look at the support topic, I posted three of the four fixes, and 4Kstore posted the first.

Advertisement: