The New Online Manual has gone "Gold"

Started by Angelina Belle, February 15, 2012, 10:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gisfreak

Me fail English? That's unpossible.

BlondChick

kat

* K@ wonders if it might be an idea to remove the "Docs site" link from the menu, now, or not...

emanuele

Quote from: TE on February 16, 2012, 02:54:32 PM
Quote from: SleePy on February 16, 2012, 02:27:07 PM
Well your welcome to start translating TE :D
You're joking, right? ;) Well, I have quite a bit of spare time but let's be honest, the german help was ~95% complete and has been totally wiped out by a team decision.  You can't expect from someone to do the entire work (again)...
There have been several changes from the help that was distributed with SMF in the past, but it's not forbidden to open a language file and do a bit of copy&paste.
I would do it by myself, but not having any knowledge of many of the different languages I can't be sure of what I'm putting into the wiki...

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

karlbenson

Good job.  Alot of work goes into these manuals which doesn't always get the attention it deserves.

Jorin

Quote from: TE on February 16, 2012, 02:54:32 PM
You can't expect from someone to do the entire work (again)...

I did!  ;D

http://hilfe.smfportal.de (can be installed as modification, changes the help link in navigation)

Angelina Belle

Quote from: K@ on February 26, 2012, 03:55:18 PM
* K@ wonders if it might be an idea to remove the "Docs site" link from the menu, now, or not...
Or at least label it "old, outdated help files", for the moment, I suppose...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

kat

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on April 17, 2012, 10:47:41 AM
Quote from: K@ on February 26, 2012, 03:55:18 PM
Or at least label it "old, outdated help files", for the moment, I suppose...

Shall we wave at someone? ;)

Angelina Belle

Any one of us can do that at any time.
I've started with a site comment: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=474434.0

I've also followed up with more private note to the site team, to bring this to their attention.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

kat

karlbenson

Well done to everyone who has contributed to it.

Angelina Belle

Acans

Good work guys, it's great to see it go gold!
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

gerzok

This infomation is great for me to support correctly to my customers !!! :D

JXDavise

Quote from: GravuTrad on February 18, 2012, 08:19:10 PM
Quote from: AngelinaBelle on February 16, 2012, 03:07:43 PM
I agree - the change to the new help is a big hassle for the translations.

It would be possible to copy the strings out of the language editor into the wiki translation tool, because the pages on the wiki are > 95% identical to what was in the language editor at the time.
But even this will take time, as you can see by the fact that the German wiki translation has not been done.
We did not have a tool to automate the proces.

At this time, a few changes have been made to the base (English) pages. These changes were mostly made at the request of translators. This means that, after copying strings from the LE, the translator would need to check if the original had changed, and update the translated string.

+1

+1*2

kingston250

I appreciate your work. All those put good efforts.

Advertisement: