News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Reduce queries

Started by keith021773, January 07, 2012, 12:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith021773

What is the best way to reduce queries on SMF 2.0?    I know about removing mods and such, but what are the best things to tweak that are build-in to SMF?

Matthew K.

Have you made sure caching is on? That'll help somewhat.

keith021773

I did turn that one the other day after reading some of the sticky posts here.    It was off and I turned it on to level 1.  However, it doesn't seem to be doing that much for me.

Any suggestions?

Matthew K.

If you're having loading issues, or it's too slow, might you consider moving hosts? You'll have problems if your host is an overseller.

keith021773

Thanks for that suggestion.     I am pretty good friends with my host, He and I have been talking this morning looking at other sites that run on the same server.  We are very confident that it isn't the server because the issues aren't happening on the other sites.   It's probably mods that I run.    I am in the process now of removing some mods that don't get used a lot. 

If you can think of any other reasons please let me know.   The issues don't happen all the time.   One minute everything is good and then the very next page load might take 7 seconds.   It's weird, but we are tracking it down.

Matthew K.

Do you have a list of the modifications you have handy?

keith021773

Sure do.

1.   Default Avatar   2.2   [ Uninstall ]
2.   Optimus Brave   1.8.1   [ Uninstall ]
3.   More Spiders   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
4.   PM to New Members   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
5.   SMF Canonical Tag   1.2   [ Uninstall ]
6.   Forum Firewall   1.1.5   [ Uninstall ]
7.   SimplePortal   2.3.4   [ Uninstall ]
8.   Invitation Message In Your Face (IMIYF)   0.3.1   [ Uninstall ]
9.   SMF Gallery Pro   3.0.23   [ Uninstall ]
10.   Users Online Today   2.0 RC1   [ Uninstall ]
11.   6 Custom buttons / tabs with Sub Menus (4)   0.5   [ Uninstall ]
12.   Aeva ~ Auto-Embed Video & Audio   7.1   [ Uninstall ]
13.   Treasury   2.09   [ Uninstall ]
14.   Contact Page   2.1.2   [ Uninstall ]
15.   BlogBridger   1.1.4   [ Uninstall ]
16.   Tapatalk SMF 2.0 RC4/RC5 Plugin   2.0.0   [ Uninstall ]
17.   Stop Forum Spam   0.6   [ Uninstall ]
18.   Google Member Map 2.0.6b   2.0.6b   [ Uninstall ]
19.   Pretty URLs   1.0RC2a   [ Uninstall ]
20.   SA Affiliates   3.3.5.6   [ Uninstall ]
21.   httpBL   2.5.1   [ Uninstall ]
22.   SMF Links   2.3.2

But I'm now using Google Member Map, SA Affiliates and Pretty URLs at the moment.

butch2k

Activate the debug mode and look for the slow requests and in turn identify which mod is making the requests.

Arantor

Don't forget that the theme is also making some queries too, like for the users' avatars.

Though I think you'll find a proportion of them simply attributable to the portal.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

There are many ways to cut down the number of queries, but truth be told - it's not as much the number, than the speed of those queries. A well configured server, and some caching do wonders.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

keith021773

maybe then you could visit my site and just tell me what you think.  daddyplace dot com

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, you have a lot going on there. Portal, adds, tags, shoutbox... etc...

Simply put, there's a lot of stuff visible at any given time that really doesn't need to be there on all page loads.
Get rid of the shoutbox if you really don't need it, check if your MySQL server has any inbuilt caching active ( you may ask your host if you don't know ),
try tweaking the amount of topics / posts visible per page load and so on...
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: