News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Advance Fake Users and Guests Online for SMF

Started by Ricky., February 19, 2012, 06:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky.

Yap, instead we can show message saying "You need to register in order to access this profile" and for registered member, we can say "You don't have access to this profile".

humbleworld

will it overload the server if you increase the number of guests to, say, 10,000 in 15 minutes period?

David111567

Quote from: humbleworld on March 02, 2012, 10:54:59 AM
will it overload the server if you increase the number of guests to, say, 10,000 in 15 minutes period?

It doesn't seem to impact the server at all, in my case.

humbleworld

thank you david for the input. hope to hear from ricky what he thinks about it.

David111567

Quote from: humbleworld on March 02, 2012, 01:14:53 PM
thank you david for the input. hope to hear from ricky what he thinks about it.

lol.... no problem. I'm a poor "Ricky" substitute, I realize :-)

What I can tell you is that SQL treats it as just a number. whether it's 1 or 1 million...it just plugs in the number and lists it in the forum.  That's about all I know, but again, he probably knows more than me and can give you more accurate details.

GOOD MOD...I'm loving it.

David111567

I made a manual modification that might help people who use this mod....

Every fake user name that I create...I'm also creating an actual account for.  So... every fake member has a profile.

However... when you click on the fake names in the list...it says "This User Does Not Exist".

So here's what I've done to rectify that:

In the file "Errors.english.php" ....I found the string:

"$txt['not_a_user'] = "

(it's around line 32)

and replaced "This user does not exist" with

"This member\'s profile link has been marked as "Private - No Follow". All profiles may be accessed directly from the "Members" section"

But you can replace it with anything that sounds convincing.  It beats being told that the member does not exist when they click on them.

Hope this helps.

GREAT MOD!!

humbleworld

Hi David, how about making the link profile not clickable. Will it be possible?

Ricky.

Hey, David, thanks, you are right, this stuff will not make any load on server in any case as its just game of "FAKE numbers" :)

Regarding changes to this mod,  we have some good ideas I can see here, I can definitely make use of them to improve it, but only once I get time. My original plan was to add real looking fake profile but seems , we can do better, as I mentioned earlier, it may actually further encourage guest to register ie.
When guests click on a profile he gets :
"You need to register in order to access this profile" and
for registered member, we can say "You don't have access to this profile, become premium member to access it ".

And you cans for premium members ;)

David111567

Quote from: humbleworld on March 02, 2012, 08:46:11 PM
Hi David, how about making the link profile not clickable. Will it be possible?

Yes, it can be done, but remember, if you make it not clickable, you're also removing the ability for members to click on other real members to get to their profiles.  It's sort of an "all or nothing" scenario, I think.  Maybe Ricky has another way to do it that I am not aware of, though.

Mstcool

ONE question!

It says make a real looking profile
i made a profile named bot
and when i wrote bot in the users online it said it doesnt exist and i looked at the link at the end it said bot
and when i went on the profile it said a id
SO what do i do?

luuuciano

Quote from: Ricky. on March 03, 2012, 12:10:02 AM
Hey, David, thanks, you are right, this stuff will not make any load on server in any case as its just game of "FAKE numbers" :)

Mmmmm, but you have to generate all that information (to each member, bot, browser, spider, seeing that page)... it is not the same showing 10 fake users than 1 millon fake users...
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Ricky.

Quote from: Mstcool on March 07, 2012, 10:06:00 PM
ONE question!

It says make a real looking profile
i made a profile named bot
and when i wrote bot in the users online it said it doesnt exist and i looked at the link at the end it said bot
and when i went on the profile it said a id
SO what do i do?
I think you have little confusion as I have plan to add real looking profile, have not added yet.

Mstcool

Ricky.

Ya plans are so and have more features however, kind of little occupied currently.

engrz

there is one problem in this mode. when we are adding fake members, it cant make fake profile. when some real user want to see that user profile it shows error. that is a problem.

luuuciano

Quote from: engrz on April 01, 2012, 11:03:20 AM
there is one problem in this mode. when we are adding fake members, it cant make fake profile. when some real user want to see that user profile it shows error. that is a problem.

You may want to read previous replies...
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Mstcool

engrz i asked and they said they will make a feature in ther next update

engrz

Quoteengrz i asked and they said they will make a feature in ther next update

thanks mstcool

Advertisement: