News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

"Can't LogOut"

Started by Snuffy, February 21, 2012, 09:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snuffy

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2011
XHTMLRSSWAP2
Page created in 1.011 seconds with 32 queries.

OK from the thread title of this one I am sure that you have had this several times as I have done about 3 searches and have came up with about 35 - 40 thread answers
or rather questions about this as well.  But seems only one solution and that is to clean your browser catch.

I have removed all my catch and still when I click LogOut I get the :

An Error Has Occurred! Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.
Back

Well If I can't logout to log back in then something seems to be stopping me from logging out along the way the first time I hit logOut to me,
as I said I totally clean my catch and lose all my cookies from all I had and a few other things as well as I cleaned my history and everything
to try to make sure all is clean and still I can not log out of the system.

I am the Administrator of my system and I have always had a admin account and a user account as well so I can log out as admin and log in as a user
to check to see what screens are being seen by the user to make sure things are working correctly. But I have not been able to do that for some time.

And now I have a member that has been a member for about 8-9 years and his Son has as well for a few years, (as a Veteran with injuries),
he has had to move in with him and on the Golfing site I run and now since they both live in the same house and use the same system
they can not log out and log back in with their own accounts.

The Clearing the Catch does not seem to be the fix for this problem as it seems that there is something in the code that needs looked at a little deeper to try and find a fix for this problem.
It seems that EVERYONE has the problem but just choose to ignore it as long as they as a single user can get in and on no problem.

But there are a few that do have circumstances that are differant than normal single user and fixing this would sure be a big plus to those that are having to fight with this.

Thanks in advance for any input or help with getting this fixed.

Dave 'Snuffy' Smith
Webmaster: Golden Bears Den
www.goldenbearsden.com

ethankcvds

After you get this message have you clicked log out again without hitting the back link?
No Pm's for support please!

Snuffy

Quote from: ethankcvds on February 21, 2012, 09:45:20 AM
After you get this message have you clicked log out again without hitting the back link?

Yes I just tried that, I cleaned all out and hit logout again and still returns to the same error screen without logging me out. . .   :'(

Bigguy

I have moved this to a more appropriate board. Have you tried to rename cookies in the server settings--->cookies and Sessions. ???

Snuffy

Quote from: Bigguy on February 21, 2012, 10:02:07 AM
I have moved this to a more appropriate board. Have you tried to rename cookies in the server settings--->cookies and Sessions. ???

No I have not but the info in the cookie is what is read ain't it? and what makes things work?!?!?!  not the name of the cookie.

I am not that up on cookies so forgive me . . .   :)

Bigguy

Renaming cookies will force a change for all users and should log everyone out I do believe.

Snuffy

I changed the cookie name in server settings and cleaned the catch and shut down the browser and it still reading my old and won't let me log off.

Here is what my Server Settings screen settings are at now, hould i change something?

Bigguy

Try turning off database driven sessions and turning on use subdomain independant cookies. Also your cookie login time should be lowered I would think.

Snuffy

Quote from: Bigguy on February 21, 2012, 10:37:36 AM
Try turning off database driven sessions and turning on use subdomain independant cookies. Also your cookie login time should be lowered I would think.

I'll try those suggestions, as I have mostly been letting that area run on the defalt settings . . .  ;)

Snuffy

Well I made those changes and closed out the browser and started it and it still will not log me out?!?!?!?!?

Bigguy

There was a fix around here for session verification errors, unfortunately I am not on my main o/s at present to find it. Something had to be done server side as well as a manual edit to one of the files. It worked for me.

Snuffy

OK! do you think that you will soon be able to get to that system in the next day or so and then reply with what worked for you so I can try it here and see if we can get this option to work again for my setup?

If so I will wait till you have a chance to get to the fix that worked for you and I will try anything to get this working for me and my users as well . . . .   ;)

note: just reply here when you have some info as I have this thread set to notify me and I will get it ASAP  :)

THANKS!

Bigguy

It seems I may have wasted your time. The fix I had that I thought worked doesn't. I will search around and see if I can find something for both of us. :)

Snuffy

Quote from: Bigguy on February 21, 2012, 02:08:22 PM
It seems I may have wasted your time. The fix I had that I thought worked doesn't. I will search around and see if I can find something for both of us. :)

Thanks Bigguy!

And maybe we will both get lucky and someone will pop in with something that will fix this for all . . . .   8)

Sir Osis of Liver

Snuffy - just registered on your forum.  Please activate me so I can have a look.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Snuffy

Quote from: Krash. on February 21, 2012, 02:18:11 PM

Snuffy - just registered on your forum.  Please activate me so I can have a look.

You IN   ;)

Sir Osis of Liver

Can't logout in IE.  Can logout in FF after deleting cookies.  Chased this problem for weeks, and every forum I looked at was affected differently.  A few questions:

- What was the last change you made before the problem appeared? 
- Are you able to access all Admin sections?
- Are the verification errors being posted to your error log?
- Did you upgrade to 2.0.2 using package manager?  If so, have you tried uninstalling and reverting to 2.0.1?
- Have you tried uninstalling the portal?

- R. Waters

Snuffy

Quote from: Krash. on February 21, 2012, 02:53:50 PM

Can't logout in IE.  Can logout in FF after deleting cookies.  Chased this problem for weeks, and every forum I looked at was affected differently.  A few questions:

- Did you upgrade to 2.0.2 using package manager?  If so, have you tried uninstalling and reverting to 2.0.1?

I don't remember really, as I noticed this about 1 to 1 1/2 year or so ago. And have posted here 3 or 4 other times trying to get a fix.

Yes I seem to be able to get to all admin areas with no problems.

As far as I can tell they are but if they are not then I don't know.

Yes I upgraded with Package Manager. And this started long before 2.0.1 and I think it was when I was still on 1.?.?

No I have not tried that either.

I will not do anything till you get back to me on this post with my answers above . . . .    ;)

Sir Osis of Liver

What is $boardurl in Settings.php?

Can you do a scratch install of 2.0.2 in a different subdirectory (i.e., goldenbearsden.com/testforum/) without TP and see if you get the same problem?

- R. Waters

JohnS

I have a scratch install on 2.0.2 on one site, no modifications, no add ons and very few boards and topics, it is mainly a test site. I have been unable to simulate this problem on my PC, but a colleague gets the problem. Which leads me to think that it is Browser/OS related rather than something in SMF.
We both run IE9 and Win 7 but on different types of machines.
I have almost given up on this one, I have a few users who suffer from it out of a membership of about 3,000 on one of my main boards, which is essentially an unmodified install as well. I can't find anything common. On that board it has happened to me a few times with v1.x.x but not since I upgraded to 2.0.2
I will certainly be interested if anyone can actually work out what is doing it.

Advertisement: