News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Attachments problem

Started by blackshoe, February 20, 2012, 12:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackshoe

New SMF 2.0.2 install. No mods. One of my users tried to attach a file to a post (default settings wrt attachments). He got a message about creating a directory, which he apparently did. In the attachment settings, the directory is listed as /hermes/web01/b1906/moo.rababr/forums/attachments. The forum software is installed at /rababr/forums, but the attachments folder has no attachments in it. I can't find this /hermes/... directory anywhere on my server. So I have no idea where these attachments are. My user thinks they're on his system somewhere.

I tried adding another directory for attachments, but I keep getting "directory does not exist" errors, even though I created it. So apparently I'm specifying the path incorrectly.

At this point I have three questions: how do I find my attachments (3 so far), and how do I specify the default attachments directory within the forums directory as repository for attachments? Or do I not want to do that?

Oldiesmann

The attachments directory is in the same directory as all the other forum files. You shouldn't need to do anything, as that folder is there by default and SMF sets the path to that directory when the forum is installed.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

blackshoe

What's confusing is there are no attachments in that directory, although three have been uploaded attached to different messages.

A light dawns (maybe). Are they in the database? I'll go check.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Check Admin -> Forum -> Attachments and Avatars -> Attachment settings

See what directory is set in "Attachments directory" and make sure that directory exists, and is writable.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: