Changing Forum to Paid - Need input/ideas for already existing members

Started by CR Forum, February 23, 2012, 02:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CR Forum

Hello all,

I am converting my forum to paid view only. I don't want to use the paid subscription mod and will be taking subscribers through a payment gateway Following is what I would like to achieve.

1. Except for Administrators and Moderators,  restrict login for all of my other 23000 members with a specific redirected page that will tell them how to subscribe. I can let them in and have the boards invisible but the preferred way I would like to do it is have this happen at log in level only.

2. If the above can't be achieve, could we immediately log out members who belong to a particular member group with redirection to a page that will give information on how to restore access.

3. You can suggest any idea that may work in this situation.

I am pretty sure this can be done. I am not an expert so will need help keeping that in mind.

Thanks and regards
Sam

Jeremy M.

Quote from: CR Forum on February 23, 2012, 02:53:11 AM
Hello all,

I am converting my forum to paid view only. I don't want to use the paid subscription mod and will be taking subscribers through a payment gateway Following is what I would like to achieve.

1. Except for Administrators and Moderators,  restrict login for all of my other 23000 members with a specific redirected page that will tell them how to subscribe. I can let them in and have the boards invisible but the preferred way I would like to do it is have this happen at log in level only.

2. If the above can't be achieve, could we immediately log out members who belong to a particular member group with redirection to a page that will give information on how to restore access.

3. You can suggest any idea that may work in this situation.

I am pretty sure this can be done. I am not an expert so will need help keeping that in mind.

Thanks and regards
Sam

Paying to use a forum?  I'm not quite sure, buddy. . . I believe you may lose members if you start charging. Good Luck

CR Forum

My forum is a part of a new society and the forum will be available to only full members of the society.

Anyway, I am hoping to get some technical help from one of the experts here...

Thanks
Sam

pkrack

I am not php/MySql expert but a rough sketch i want to give you is like this.

Your index page should have a code like this for logged users IF (MYsql fetch array) = (0) {header location=the url to the gateway page}
else if (mysql fetch array)=(1) { your remaining site code}

Now in your mysql database , select the members table and create a field like "paid_level" with default value 0 . In this way all your users will be not be paid subscribers.
     On your gateway page, when the user submit his card / bank info and transaction occurs, then on landing page, you have to insert a code like
if (isset$_request[secrete code for every user generated during completing of transaction, should work like a captcha]
    {if $_request==$code_generated_on_transaction
    { mysql code like (insert * into smf_members paid_level = 1 where id = member id and pass = md5(userpass))

so the code number two will change the paid level from 0 to 1 so when he will logg to forum, the script will get number = 1 and so he will continue to the forum.
         This was my general poor sketch of how the script should work. It requires great modifications from some expert to give it real shape.

pkrack

Sample code 1  IF (MYsql fetch array) = (0) {header location=the url to the gateway page}
  else if (mysql fetch array)=(1) { your remaining site code}
sample code 2:  if (isset$_request[secrete code for every user generated during completing of transaction, should work like a captcha]
     {if $_request==$code_generated_on_transaction
     { mysql code like (insert * into smf_members paid_level = 1 where id = member id and pass = md5(userpass)).

CR Forum

Thanks Pkrack,

This should start as a basis for somebody else to come and give it more shape, perhaps even a mod, if possible.

Thanks
Sincerely
Sam

Matthew K.

Sir Osis of Liver

Save yourself a lot of work and use the paid subscription feature.  You can run an SQL query to place all existing members in an unpaid membergroup, then set up a welcome board for unpaid members that explains the subscription process with a subscribe link, and set board permissions accordingly.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

pkrack

You wellcome @ sam

and @ krash , paid subscription is the easiest choice but i think it doesnt fullfills his needs or may be sam simply do not want to use it.

CR Forum

Paid Subscriptions is very simple. Plus I have wordpress integrated with SMF with the bridge and I have roles defined. So I will be granting conditional access on the wp as well based upon the criteria defined in SMF member group.

This makes paid subscription not so effective for me. Also, the interface of Paid subscription and the fact that it can't be easily integrated with third party payment gateways is another challenge.

I am trying to do things manually; The scheme is as follows:

New member comes --> Registers through a form provided ---> Redirected to Payment Gateway ---> Successful Payment ---> We create an account for him/her on SMF

Old member (23000) ---> Access denied at login --> message asking to become full member ----> Goes to membership page ---> Registers through a form provided ---> Redirected to Payment Gateway ---> Successful Payment --->We restore access to the member

Now I hope somebody can just give a simple solution to this problem....

Thanks all of you for your willingness to help.
Sam

pkrack

Thats the easiest but the most time consuming.
        Besides the new members, you have to upgrade manually, not only upgrading, you have to keep an eye on all of them so that to downgrade those who havent paid the fee.
         You need an automatically working script to make your work faster. I think you should contact some mod developers, there are a lot who makes custom mods may be some one make it free for you or with a littile donations.
          Any how best of luck, may you get a piece of script which fits your needs like a jigsaw puzzle :-)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Are we ready to mark this solved, or is there something you still need help with?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: