Forum Width and Position Changes from Index to Board Index

Started by comixjoint, February 25, 2012, 09:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comixjoint

I have my forum width set to 80%, but somewhere along the way I messed up the code, and now the width of the forum changes from the Index page to the Board Index page and the Topic View page (I think these are the right terms, correct me if I'm wrong).

This link is to my Index page:
http://comixjoint.com/smf/index.php [nofollow]
hxxp should be http

From there, if you click on a board, the Board Index page shifts to the RIGHT by 2 pixels and also expands by maybe 10 pixels on the right edge. Then if you click on a topic, the page shifts back to normal.

I have looked through the padding and margin options in my index.css file and can't find the fault. Let me know if you'd like me to paste any code in my reply...but I'm not sure what lines of code you need to see.

floridaflatlander

I don't see it, are you using IE? If so depending on the compatibility mode, can it be the scroll bar on the right not being present in smaller boards?

Also you have rounded edges on the main board but square on the topic, that may make a small shift to you to, but it didn't to me.

floridaflatlander

Duh, the round corners depend on what mode my ie is in not which page.

comixjoint

I'm on a Mac and use Safari and Firefox (which seems to be the closest to IE). I can access IE through my company computer, but it is IE 6, which sucks. In general, I don't use IE for anything related to SMF.

But I think you are right about the scroll bar! Its presence or lack thereof would seem to account for the discrepancy in forum width on the right (stupid of me not to notice that). But I wonder if it has anything to do with the slight shift of positioning on the left.

My board will never be huge, but eventually I will get enough topics to prompt a scroll bar. Do you guys think the scroll bar issue is the sole source of my display issue?

comixjoint

Man I am dumb. All I had to do was reduce the vertical size of my browser window to test whether the scroll bar was the lone factor in affecting my forum positioning and width. And it was! So my "issue," which was never really an issue, is solved.

Thanks for your help. This board is great and I'm sure I'll encounter other problems with my forum along the way (it's only been launched a week), but I know where to come for expert help!

Advertisement: