News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Simple Machines is expanding

Started by Norv, February 24, 2012, 02:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emanuele

Unless a project starts nobody can work on it.
Unless we start using OOP in SMF it's very unlikely that developers with good knowledges of OOP would be (deeply) attracted by it.

Use OOP on the current code base could be not the easiest thing to do and probably not even the most attractive (it's mostly a rewrite of the entire code, you can take it piece by piece, but in the end means rewrite it).
The development of smCore and 3.0 will be for sure more open in respect to what SMF's development has been in the past, so many more people will be able to join and demonstrate their skills.

As far as I remember it's also easier to improve code in an OOP code base rather than in a procedural one.

So I understand your fears, they are absolutely legitimate, but I also think that break legacy and move forward is also something that must be done at a certain point.

Quote from: feline on February 27, 2012, 08:09:03 AM
1+
Without a lot of new programmer with a very good know how in OOP and all other, this project is dead before starts. My 2 cent...
When the coffin is ready let me know I'll go buy the nails! :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

feline

Quote from: emanuele on February 27, 2012, 11:18:44 AM
You're better than you think ... But thinking is not your strength.  :P

Fustrate

emanuele doesn't have to think, we just push a button on the back of his head and out pops code :) definitely a wonderful robotic team member
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

IchBin™

Quote from: feline on February 27, 2012, 04:27:30 PM
Quote from: emanuele on February 27, 2012, 11:18:44 AM
You're better than you think ... But thinking is not your strength.  :P

You're better than you speak... But speaking is not your strength. :P
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Dzonny

Deaks

good to hear this is finally public, i remember sitting in the conference room at a motel in Tucson at the MoTM hearing about all this, as for 2.0 bugs being transferred over to 3,0, simply as 3.0 is not same style as previous releases the bugs that are on 2.0 will not exist. 
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

emanuele

Quote from: Fustrate on February 27, 2012, 04:43:03 PM
emanuele doesn't have to think, we just push a button on the back of his head and out pops code :) definitely a wonderful robotic team member
And you are lucky: at my old job I was only able to pop out numbers! :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Akyhne

Night09

An interesting thought I had reading over some OOP literature is how will a server be effected as in OOP 3.0  v 2.2 smf for overall consumption of bandwith and server resources ? Ive got no other sites running that can compare but was wondering if the initial thoughts from the dev team touched on this at an smf level in general.

Joshua Dickerson

Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Fustrate

Quote from: nightbre on February 27, 2012, 11:13:52 PM
An interesting thought I had reading over some OOP literature is how will a server be effected as in OOP 3.0  v 2.2 smf for overall consumption of bandwith and server resources ? Ive got no other sites running that can compare but was wondering if the initial thoughts from the dev team touched on this at an smf level in general.

Bandwidth won't change one byte from procedural to OO - it doesn't change what data is sent to/from your site.

Resources should ideally go down from 2.x to 3.0, but as always it depends on the server. If you're worried about server resources and haven't installed an opcode cache and moved away from Apache, there are larger things to worry about than OOP :)
Steven Hoffman

Night09

I just had those users in mind who get hammered for usage ect by slick hosts promising the earth but not delivering. I also wondered since a whole script isnt run and only the relative data accessed in oop as per module then technically shouldnt the queries go down giving a lower usage and faster page load?  I just finished a 10 hour shift btw so might be a bit too sleepy atm to make real sense. :)

I cant wait to see the cogs in this new engine! ;)

Fustrate

There are things we're doing that should reduce resource usage, like lazy loading the database connection so that we don't open a connection that can go unused. We're also going to have smarter caching and (hopefully) cleaner code, so that bugs are easier to prevent/spot/fix. You're definitely on the right track of what we need to do :)
Steven Hoffman

OCJ

About time... hope this will be followed up by the real effort involved making such changes and providing the addons like a gallery etc. Already divergent mods out there so will be interesting to see how the developer personalities play out on this.
:P

And a unified portal??? Or would it just make it easier for people to keep writing their own versions perhaps.
Hope it works, even if only half of the intentions make it.

Lawrence Wright

This is great news, I'm glad SMF is taking this direction.

GravuTrad

On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soi! (Petit!Petit!)

Think about Search function before posting.
Pensez à la fonction Recherche avant de poster.

gisfreak

Me fail English? That's unpossible.

choloman05

Interesting. Pleas just don't turn into Wordpress or something equally terrible.  With the plans to incorporate all kinds of modules, I'm afraid of more problems and the whole thing not being too "simple".  But, I'm no developer so I'll just sit back and watch how this turns out. 

But SMF is my favorite software I've worked with so far, so I'm optimistic about it all. Best of luck!

live627

Wordpress is badly written and horribly inefficient. As a direct consequence, it's slooooooow, moreso with plugins.

French

Quote from: Norv* Ability to integrate with other essential website components -- blog CMS, gallery, etc, without writing an external integration. Modules written using the smCore platform can be instantly compatible with each other. You won't need to install any modules you don't need, but you will be able to add them on just by checking a box and clicking "install".
Great innovation,is this similar with Drupal´s add-on modules and designs. Which they offer in Drupal core files

Advertisement: