News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Simple Machines is expanding

Started by Norv, February 24, 2012, 02:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcarv

anything related to the development of SMF is a good thing.

Dragmire

Going to smcore.org and after a rapid check, it seems you are planing to use some Symfony component if not the entiere Sf2 framework, isn't it? At which point is Symfony going to be involved?

I think it's a good choice. I know PHPBB4 will also be built around Symfony 2, as well as Drupal 8 with some components.

So good luck, I'm myself working on a Sf2 website with a SMF2 forum ^^  :laugh:

Joshua Dickerson

There are no plans to use Symfony. We were discussing other frameworks to use to get a start.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Fustrate

We're only using their YAML parsing component - PHP doesn't have YAML built in like it does with JSON, but it's a very good configuration format.

We also have a few components from Zend Framework in there, which *will* be replaced over time. It's just that we can get going faster if we don't have to write a whole database layer right off the bat.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

David111567

Is there a rough ETA on any of this?

Deaks

Nope all we will say is that it be ready when its ready
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

IchBin™

Quote from: David111567 on March 06, 2012, 06:31:01 PM

We never put any dates out there for stuff that is done on volunteer time. If I were to hope, I'd hope that we could see a beta by next year. But that is just me "hoping". :) Inbetween now and then though, we should see SMF 2.1 for sure.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Night09

Quote from: IchBin™ on March 06, 2012, 09:19:13 PM
Quote from: David111567 on March 06, 2012, 06:31:01 PM

We never put any dates out there for stuff that is done on volunteer time. If I were to hope, I'd hope that we could see a beta by next year. But that is just me "hoping". :) Inbetween now and then though, we should see SMF 2.1 for sure.

If your still at it after 21st December then take as long as you like  ;) , if your not still at it after this date I doubt it matters!  ;D ;D

IchBin™

Night09

Hehe read that properly it contradicts itself! Without the extra day it would be 514 days ago! You cannot subtract days to equal a future date. Im sure that a few noted scientists have also worked the date aspect out for authenticity but irrespective of the consequences in any way shape or form or nothing as it likely will be. :)

Fustrate

Quote from: IchBin™ on March 07, 2012, 01:59:34 PM
*GASP*

*snip*

Incorrect. The Mayan calendar is extremely precise, unlike the Gregorian calendar, and therefore does not need leap days.

The whole thing's a load of crock anyways, but leap days aren't a reason why.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

IchBin™

Man you guys take things way to seriously....

/topic kill

NanoSector

Great news, looking forward to yet another great release of SMF :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Night09

Quote from: IchBin™ on March 07, 2012, 02:30:39 PM
Man you guys take things way to seriously....

/topic kill

Its your fault, im blaming you and denying it all lol I just joked! :D  Im sure we will all be fine on the 22nd ;)

We are all looking forward to when this super duper new build finally hits the world and hope you all have some enlightening times along the way. :)

Dragmire

Quote from: Fustrate on March 06, 2012, 11:13:43 AM
We're only using their YAML parsing component - PHP doesn't have YAML built in like it does with JSON, but it's a very good configuration format.

We also have a few components from Zend Framework in there, which *will* be replaced over time. It's just that we can get going faster if we don't have to write a whole database layer right off the bat.

Thanks for the answer. I guess I just checked the topic on yml and quickly get into some false conclusion :lol
Also, I saw Twig templates and some code organisation that reminded me of Symfony :)

Eudemon

MetalMusicMan

Thinking about SMF 3.0 makes me very excited!  I don't think I'll ever switch to 2.0, it's just not really much different in terms of functionality, only in the code.  But if 3.0 has new features, that would be awesome!  I'd like to see a Xenforo-esque approach to certain things while still maintaining what makes SMF great :)

"How'd you get to be so smart?"
"Trial and error."

-- Duncan MacLeod, Highlander (S1E20)

Admin of MetalMusicMan.com

Deaks

actually there is a masive difference in functionality between 1.1.x and 2.0.x  ... also your site gives a nice big error message at top
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Michael McNamara

It sounds very exciting but also a lot of work... good luck!

I like the theme you are using on smCore... Dziner Studio puts out some very classy themes.

Cheers!

Advertisement: