News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Simple Machines is expanding

Started by Norv, February 24, 2012, 02:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eliana Tamerin

This is awesome news for Simple Machines and for the future of SMF!
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Robert.

Grudge

Glad to see this is happening - this is something I was strongly in favour of doing but ran out of steam - I really hope it takes off.
I'm only a half geek really...

redone

Hopefully this works out well. Congrats on the progress.

~RedOne

Roph

Masterd

I was waiting for this for a long time.

Omega X

Quote* Better theming system. It will be easier and build, maintain, tweak, and customize great themes.

Excellent! I look forward to 3.0.

tbk22

=)

Adren

forum http://smcore.org display me after registration:
QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
You have been banned from this site.
This ban is not set to expire.

geek_andy

Quote from: Adren on February 26, 2012, 12:14:18 PM
forum display me after registration:
QuoteAn Error Has Occurred!
Sorry Guest, you are banned from using this forum!
You have been banned from this site.
This ban is not set to expire.

Might be better to post this in the Site Comments board (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=19.0)

Norv

Adren, I send you a PM. I made the message more clear, as well.

It's okay if you report on site comments eventually because we'll find it, although you're right too. :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

InfoStrides

Great news! Can't just wait to explore SMF 3.0....

sharks

I'm not being pessimistic, (well maybe i am, but who can blame me after waiting half a decade for 2.0 final?) but isn't all that code talk going to be a huge project which will require even more resources to develop than 2.0? I guess a sensible ETA for 3.0 would be seriously not before 2020. 3.0 doesn't seem to be a fork of SMF but something quite innovative, and all the years i've been here in this community, i've learned (painfully) to dread the word "innovative" as it either meant impossible to make or several years to release.

As for 2.0 and subsequently 2.1, why not concentrate the current efforts to fix all those hundreds of bugs from the tracker before moving on to develop 3.0. As an admin with several forums running on SMF software, i would be much more at ease knowing that most of the bugs are fixed, so even if it takes a decade to release 3.0, i'll be at peace and wait for as long as possible. Obviously, if it takes 10 years then i would most probably be using another forum software by then as the SMF software would have become outdated.

Honestly, this announcement feels like an incredibly risky move, knowing the gigantic/desperate problems and record-breaking lengthy development time that the SMF community suffered before 2.0 was finally ready. Don't get me wrong, i care a lot about SMF and i definitely love the ideas here, but without a rock-solid foundation and a sufficiently large number of developers on the SMF team, that project is going to cut all the air out of the current 2.0 and 2.1 project, making everything come to a stand-still and maybe even alienate many team members like before. Oh no... The nightmares are rushing back!

The SMF development team needs to rebuild itself and gather together all the great minds here before going in to tackle such an ambitious project for 3.0. I really want 3.0 but then i would rather just get constant updates every few months than wait 5+ years for an unfinished product. I believe that the average time for a new version should be 1-2 years at most, based on development time at all the other major forum software.

Fustrate

Just speaking for myself (as one of the developers for smCore and SMF 3.0), I don't see us competing with the other major forum software if we put off 3.0 and a new code base any longer. The more time we spend on 2.x, the more time we spend lagging behind the people who are writing modern, innovative code. That being said, 2.x still needs work to solidify it and squash the remaining bugs, and Spuds/emanuele/Antechinus are doing a great job from what I've seen.

As much as I'd love to see more developers working on both 2.1 and 3.0, we're working with what we've got. If more people come along to help out, which is what we want to encourage with a more open development model, then it would certainly speed things up. The biggest problems with 2.0 taking five years to reach gold were developer turnover, writing a custom WYSIWYG editor (which still has bugs, iirc - I don't use it), and feature creep. While we can't guarantee we won't run into any problems like those, as we can't predict the future, we can certainly try our hardest to watch out for them and get a solid product out in a far shorter amount of time.

* Fustrate likes the hard-hitting comments like yours, they make me want to write better/more code :P
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

IchBin™

Totally legitimate worries sharks! While there was a plethora of issues that plagued the development of SMF, we certainly aim and hope that we do not see those days again. As far as your concerns about continuing to work on the SMF2.x line, this is just not maintainable nor really feasible. SMF is already behind in development and present coding practices. The move to OOP programming and to have a core framework is very much needed. It really is the only way forward for SMF for a mountain of reasons.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Joshua Dickerson

sharks, expect to see bug fixes for 2.0 in a future release. We are not abandoning the 2.x line yet.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Nolt

Good news! Changes with SMF licence was a big step ahead and we see results now and in future :)

feline

Quote from: sharks on February 26, 2012, 04:12:43 PM
Honestly, this announcement feels like an incredibly risky move, knowing the gigantic/desperate problems and record-breaking lengthy development time that the SMF community suffered before 2.0 was finally ready. Don't get me wrong, i care a lot about SMF and i definitely love the ideas here, but without a rock-solid foundation and a sufficiently large number of developers on the SMF team, that project is going to cut all the air out of the current 2.0 and 2.1 project, making everything come to a stand-still and maybe even alienate many team members like before.
1+
Without a lot of new programmer with a very good know how in OOP and all other, this project is dead before starts. My 2 cent...

Advertisement: