News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SSI & SMF 2.xxx something different ?

Started by jayc, February 25, 2012, 01:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayc

Is there anything different in 2.0 when attempting to work with SSI?

I try to put up a new page with require SSI at the top, and when I browse to it or to the existing ssi_examples.php  in the SMF directory I get a whole buncha undefined statements.

This is a partial listing there are actually a lot more.

Notice: Undefined index: html_headers in /home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/Sources/Load.php on line 1821
Notice: Undefined index: name in /home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/Sources/Subs-Portal.php on line 1407
Notice: Undefined index: template_dirs in /home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/Sources/Load.php on line 1839
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/Sources/Load.php on line 1839
Notice: Undefined index: default_theme_dir in /home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/Sources/Load.php on line 1863
Notice: Undefined index: theme_dir in /home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/Sources/Subs-Portal.php on line 730

Since the ssi_examples.php came with the major upgrade it seems to me that I must have a setting wrong some place, I am kinda clueless at this point what my next steps should be. Any pointers appreciated

jayr

Anti Bot: Are You Human/Bot? 3.0 - Stop Spammer 2.3.9 - SMF Links    2.4 - SMF Gallery Pro - Aeva Media    1.2 - Ultimate Profile - SimplePortal 2.3.2 - RSS Feeder    1.1.5
[email protected]

IchBin™

It's more than likely something wrong in your page, or something like a mod causing the problem.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

jayc

Quote from: IchBin™ on February 25, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
It's more than likely something wrong in your page, or something like a mod causing the problem.

Since the ssi_examples.php came with the SMF distro I am using I am pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with the page.

I can try uninstalling all the mods and see if that makes a difference.

All those undefined statements/warnings make me think that I should be loading/calling something before ssi.php.

da Hobbit
Anti Bot: Are You Human/Bot? 3.0 - Stop Spammer 2.3.9 - SMF Links    2.4 - SMF Gallery Pro - Aeva Media    1.2 - Ultimate Profile - SimplePortal 2.3.2 - RSS Feeder    1.1.5
[email protected]

IchBin™

You said you are putting SSI into the page. That is the page I'm referring to. Not the examples page. There's no need to call something before SSI.php in your file. If those variables are undefined, something else is going on inside your page, or inside SMF (which is likely from a mod install causing problems.)

jayc

Quote from: IchBin™ on February 25, 2012, 06:07:31 PM
You said you are putting SSI into the page. That is the page I'm referring to. Not the examples page. There's no need to call something before SSI.php in your file. If those variables are undefined, something else is going on inside your page, or inside SMF (which is likely from a mod install causing problems.)

Text always leads to confusion, I created a file called newPage3.php in my SMF directory, its contents are:
<?php
require("/home/hobbit/public_html/SMF/SSI.php");
?>

You can check out what this page brings up at http://www.hobbitsworld.com/SMF/newPage3.php [nofollow]

I will try tuning down the mods one at a time, but it is a little hard to understand how a mod could be causing problems of this nature without many people being aware of it. SSI seems to be popular, and I have pretty much minimum mods installed.

Thanks for your time
[email protected]

IchBin™

Try your page with no mods installed on a test site. What I would find hard to believe would be that this wouldn't have already been reported if it was an smf problem.

jayc

Quote from: IchBin™ on February 26, 2012, 01:56:13 AM
Try your page with no mods installed on a test site. What I would find hard to believe would be that this wouldn't have already been reported if it was an smf problem.

I gotta say you hit the nail on the head right outta the box, I tried a whole buncha things (which I don't regret because I learned alot) but took you last suggestion and looked at ssi_examples.php on a couple other sites where I use smf and it looked like I expected it to.

Back on the troubled site I started turning off mods (which I normally hate to do because it almost always seems to introduce new problems.

When I turned simple portal down ssi_examples.php looked ok, when I turned it back on ssi_examples.php looked bad again.

I checked the other sites and I am using simple portal 3.3 on them, on the troubled site I was using simple portal 3.2.

Upgraded the troubled site to simple portal 3.4, checked ssi_examples.php and looked good, checked my newPage2.php file and it looks good.

Now I can get back to the original problem I was working on several days ago when someone suggested that I see if using SSI would solve it.

Thanks very much, I probably would not have been able to resolve this one without your suggestion that I check the mods

Vegas Jay
[email protected]

IchBin™

No problem jayc! Glad you figured it out. And good for others to know that SP fixed it in the latest release. :)

Advertisement: