News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Email not arriving

Started by EmailProbs, February 26, 2012, 11:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmailProbs

Hello Forum,

I've setup SMF forum 2.0.2 on my CentOS + Apache + PHP + MySQL server and I'm trying to create user accounts. Everything seems to work fine, no errors are generated and I get a nice message saying I should check my inbox. Problem is, no message shows up.
In the mail settings I've configured localhost and port 2525 for the mailserver. On this port is running the Java based JES server. This server works, when I sent messages manually with telnet the messages do show up. Its running on port 2525 because I don't want to run the server as root (which would be required for a lower port and Java can't downgrade). There are no reported errors on the webpage or in the admin error log. What should I do?

Netstat output:
# netstat -antp
Active Internet connections (servers and established)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address             State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:3306              0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      14430/mysqld
tcp        0      0 :::8080                     :::*                        LISTEN      20339/httpd
tcp        0      0 :::22                       :::*                        LISTEN      14310/sshd
tcp        0      0 :::8443                     :::*                        LISTEN      20339/httpd
tcp        0      0 :::2525                     :::*                        LISTEN      2408/java
#

I use iptables to redirect traffic from 80 to 8080, 443 to 8443 and 25 to 2525. The redirecting only works for incoming packets from eth0. The server itself uses lo so I tell SMF to connect directly to 2525. Telnet accepts this so PHP should to.

I also read through the code to find out where mail is actually sent and I've found the smtp_mail() function. It creates its own socket so I don't see why it shouldn't just work.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jurgen

EmailProbs

I think I found the problem. The code sends the HELO command in the smtp_mail() function. It expects the server to respond with 250 response code. But JES returns with "554 Active Security Context rejects the HELO command".

Ugh.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Were you able to fix this?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: