navigation tag cloud, for extra pages and/or galleries

Started by brynn, January 13, 2014, 01:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
Subject:  navigation tag cloud that can be used on extra (Tiny Portal, et.al.) pages....or maybe could also be used in galleries

Message:  I suppose I might be willing to pay a nominal fee for such a mod, if it were a 1-time fee.

Version:  SMF 2.0.6, TP 1.107

Description:  Using TP, I made an extra page for my forum, which contains a large listing of links to tutorials (for Inkscape, vector graphics editor, which is the subject of the forum) (http://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php).  I'd like to put a navigation tag cloud on that page.  I apologize that I don't know enough about programming, to say whether this would have to work only for TP, or if it could serve other portal mods, and maybe even mods which just add extra pages, as well.  Maybe it could also work with gallery mods too.

I want to assign tags to each link (tutorial) listed on that page (or maybe to each list item?).  (For galleries, the tags would be attached to images in the gallery.)  The tags/keywords would be the subject of the tutorial, such as "flag", "button", "background", or iow, when you have completed the tutorial, you have a drawing of a certain subject.  The tags could also be the Inkscape tools or features used in the drawing, such as "gradients" for example.

So if someone wanted to learn how to use Inkscape gradients, they might click on "gradients" in the cloud.  This would give them a list of all the links (tutorials) which have the "gradients" tag.  Or if they wanted to draw web backgrounds with Inkscape, they could click on "backgrounds" and retrieve a list of tutorials (links to) which produce web backgrouds.

This is similar to Tagging System for Topics and Cumulus Congestus, except that these are both for adding tags to topics, and their tag clouds are for navigation in the forum.  What I want is to be able to put a tag cloud on a TP page which provides easy navigation to the lists on that page.

Again, this would be for SMF 2.0.6 and TP 1.107, (or maybe for other portal mods too).  Or might work for galleries too.

Permissions:  For me, this would only be for admins, as far as configuring the tag cloud.  But maybe another admin would want to allow senior members who have access to TP, to be able to use it.

As far as I'm concerned, all guests and members will have access to the tag cloud.  But I suppose it could be written so that only certain membergroups can see it (although again that's not how I would use it).

Feature Set:  I've spent a lot of time searching, to try and find instructions for how to make such a tag cloud.  And I have found some, but they all require more programming knowledge and know-how than I have.  So I thought maybe there might be an SMF mod for it.  But the existing ones are only for forum/topic navigation.  So thus, this request.

Anyway, from what I've learned, there needs to be a database or maybe 2.  I guess there would be a db of tags (keywords).  And there would need to be a way to assign the tags/keywords to whatever the admin wants to attach them to.  It seems like a lot of people want something that I would call a word cloud, which is based on how many times a word or phrase appears on a page.  So it seems like this potential mod could be made to do that as well.  Although my needs are slightly different -- I need to attach the tags to either links or list items.

And then there needs to be a program or script written to produce the tag cloud, based on how many times a tag/keyword is found, and I guess another one to produce the list of links/list items when someone clicks on a tag/keyword.

Summary:  As I've said, I don't have a lot of programming knowledge, so chances are, this isn't even a feasible request.  But I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.  So thanks for reading this, and for any questions or comments!

All best   :)

Advertisement: