News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How to install mods?

Started by adamanto75, March 31, 2012, 09:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamanto75

Hello everyone,

I am very new to this software and am still trying to figure it out. I've used oscommerce before and understand that when I install add-on's in oscommerce there is usually a readme.txt file that tells you how to install the add-on. And I see that you can download manual install instructions on the mod's download page, but when I click the "parse" it tells me that this mod is not supported with the 2.02 version of smf...

So my questions are:
where do I get the instructions to install mods?
Is there a way to automatically install mods?
Where do I ftp the mods to?

Thanks in advance

Joey

TheListener

The mod emulate link in my signature will help.

Ozzie

So my questions are:
where do I get the instructions to install mods?
Is there a way to automatically install mods?
Where do I ftp the mods to?

let's answer your questions. First off, you would download any module which is compatible with the version of SMF you are using and save them to a file somewhere on your desktop. ( http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/ )

Now if you go to admin control panel and click package manager you will see an option to download packages click that and at the very bottom of the page you will see package upload use that to browse to where you stored your download then upload it once it is uploaded, you should see an option to install it just click install and go ahead. If it throws any errors when you try to install if do not proceed and have a quick look in the forums for any advice regarding the modification.

2000+ games available to download

kat

Hi, Joey!

We wrote this, especially for you. ;)

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Package_manager

Remember my sig, too, woncha?

adamanto75

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help, I have one more question though when I'm uploading the package to my forum which file to I upload the install.xml file? Or a different one?

kat

Read it, again, mate. ;)

You keep it archived and go to Package Manager to upload/install it.

Make sure you have my sig burned into your brain, before installing ANY mods, too, woncha? ;)

Ozzie

what k@ is saying is you do not unzip the mod package you downloaded....... the package installer does all that for you when it is uploaded

2000+ games available to download

Advertisement: