News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Adding "skip to next page of thread" arrows

Started by therealkickers, December 20, 2011, 01:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

therealkickers

Hi!

We would like to place arrows (<< or >>) or simple gifs left and right to the page index of an existing thread so that people can click to skip only to the next page of postings.

A mod "Nex Topic 1.2" had been discussed in a different thread, but installing this mod doesn't work (all except of one "tests failed, install should be aborted")

So is there any way to include these arrows either with a different mod or simply be editing the existing code?

Thanks for any help!
Christoph

kat

Have a look above your post, to the right.

Just above the "Print" button.

Something like that?

(Except where it takes you, that is).

therealkickers

Yes, exactly this.
In fact, I have had a thread to remove this particular link (to browse between different threads), but that' exactly what would be great to have to browse the pages of each thread by skipping one page backwards or forwards (as long as it has got more than one page of course).

kat

Well, this is gonna be an adventure, for me. ;)

I'm no coder, by any stretch of the imagination.

Luckily, though, I have a gorgeous host, who's given me loads of space for a test forum.

I'll have a fiddle-around, with that, to see if I can figure-out how to do this.

Gimme a while, though, woncha? ;)

kat

OK. I'm assuming it's something to do with this:

<div class="nextlinks">', $context['previous_next'], '</div>', template_button_strip($normal_buttons, 'right'), '

Just got to figure-out what/who/when/why/how, now.

therealkickers

Oh well, err, yes. I would have guessed this as well. Making sense.
...Honestly. I have not the slightest idea  :)
I have checked all my standard-try-to-change-it-there-files for this line of code - nada.

I rely on god...ah, cat.

Thanks a lot for taking this adventure :-)
If there's anything I can help you with on your journey, sire, just let me know and I'll be by your side.

Thanks,
Christoph

kat

I'm having to do bits of this, when I get the time, I'm afraid. Busy at this time of year, as you might guess.

If and when, I'll give you a wave.

'course, if a coder notices this and wants to speed the whole process up, I doubt either of us'd complain. ;)

It's how the code communicates with the database that confuzzles me.

therealkickers

Christmas break hereby officially admitted.

Seriously. If and when - always much appreciated.
Thank you!

Christoph

therealkickers

Hello!

I just want to ask, if this maybe is solvable somehow. We would really love to get those arrows and would again offer a small donation, if someone could send use a fix or code snippets.

Thanks a lot!
christoph

Advertisement: