News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Menu Editor Lite

Started by Matthew K., March 06, 2012, 01:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electricwildflower

Thanks i didn't think of doing it that way :)

electricwildflower

Not sure if anyone has asked or i am missing something but i got an idea for you.

When you add a button how about an option to add a button to other levels aswell example below.

you create a button called forum and in this a child button called general category and under general category a child button called shout out.

at the moment if i wanted to add a button under shout which is under general category i would have to enter forum actions and then enter general category actions so i could add a button under shout wouldn't it be easier to be able to pick where a button can go besides just on the first level if you get me.

would save alot of time for editing ?

Matthew K.

I do not intend on extending Menu Editor Lite any further. It was written specifically to be light-weight and small.

electricwildflower

I was thinking in the pro version if you ever decide to release it i understand about keeping things lite :)

Matthew K.

Yeah, that's definitely in the pro version.

Arantor

I'd quite like to see this pro version, even be willing to put some cash in.

FireDitto

Agreed! I don't have money to put forth atm (between jobs. ugh) but I am eager to see the Pro version, and get my mitts on it when it's available XD I love this mod so much haha.
Second Pass Weyr<br />An AU Pernse RPG<br /><br />SMF 2.0.6 with SP 2.3.5

Matthew K.

Did a little bit of work on Menu Editor Pro tonight just for fun. I began removing some inline CSS and I ended up doing a PSD and then implementing it for the icon selection system so it flows a lot more beautifully, I went ahead and attached a screenshot if anyone is interested.

Edit: I was still playing around with the layout, and came up with another design mockup in Photoshop.

FireDitto

That's really cool!

Will there be the ability to add our own icons to the collection? Or even images as the entire button as opposed to text? I see one of the options is to select Icon + Text. Ooh! Or would it be possible to use theme based images, so if you it calls the images from the individual themes so that they can look different on each layout?! That would be amazing!

I'm excited :D;;

Matthew K.

There's a dynamic image loader that pulls icon sets from a specific theme directory. Add a new directory that contains images and they are instantly available for selection. The dynamic part is what I've been working on - how to store the results efficiently and what not. As of now it's tied into the default theme only.

There are three display options: Icon | Icon + Name | Name + Icon

FireDitto

Would it be possible to work like, say, the display.template.php where if you put it into a new theme, it'll read it from that theme, but if you don't, it automatically reads from the default? That way, if someone (such as myself) wanted different images on a per-layout, we could take the time to personally create a folder in each Theme with the images using the same file name (similar to like the user badges), but if someone didn't, then it would automatically read from the default theme's source?

Those display options are great :D This is one of my favourite mods, I love it. Especially when you end up with so many mods that all want to put something in the menu x.x

On that. Is there any easy way to make the Menu read things like, if there are items on the Moderator list that require moderation (user groups, posts, etc) it'll show up? Similar to how there was an edit given on the previous page for the (#) to show up beside Personal messages? Or would that be getting into the complications? I'm no coder, so once you're outside of basic HTML it's all complicated to me :P

Matthew K.

Trust me, I knew what you meant...and believe me when I say that I know it works and could easily implement it. As of now, I'm not going to do so.

No.

pastorvictor

This looks like a really great mod. How could I install it manually? The package manager is asking me for FTP details and whenever I've give them to it, it breaks my forum; it messes with my site's permissions and then I have to ask my host to revert the changes to get my forums back up.

FireDitto

Quote from: Badboy on December 14, 2012, 10:02:54 AM
Quote from: FireDitto on December 14, 2012, 03:02:18 AM

What editing would be required to put the count for Personal Messages back in the menu? It's being heavily missed.

Thank you.

Quote from: Greybrow on May 01, 2012, 07:52:11 PM
I just love this menu editor. It made my life a lot easier.
But I wanted to have pm count on menu, so I hacked a bit and found a solution.

in Sources\menu_source\resources\main.php (should be line 899) change:
$buttons[$value['id_button']] = array(
'title' => $value['name'],
'href' => $value['href'],
'show' => true,
'target' => $value['target'],
'sub_buttons' => array(
),
'is_last' => $value['id_button'] == $menu_editor['last_button'] ? !$context['right_to_left'] : '',
'level' => 0
);
// Do we have Children?
if (!empty($menu_editor['children']['actual'][$value['id_button']]))
{
$buttons[$value['id_button']]['sub_buttons'] = array();
foreach ($menu_editor['children']['actual'][$value['id_button']] as $act => $sub_value)
{
// Introduce the Grandchildren - If we have any.
if (!empty($menu_editor['grandchildren']['actual'][$sub_value['id_button']]))
$temp[$sub_value['id_button']]['sub_buttons'] = $menu_editor['grandchildren']['actual'][$sub_value['id_button']];
else
$temp[$sub_value['id_button']]['sub_buttons'] = array();

// Actually add the Children!
$buttons[$sub_value['id_parent']]['sub_buttons'][$sub_value['id_button']] = array(
'title' => $sub_value['title'],

to:
// lets check if there are some unread pm and add the count if any
$title = '';
if ($context['user']['unread_messages'] > 0 && $value['href'] == $scripturl . '?action=pm')
$title = $value['name'] .' [<strong>' . $context['user']['unread_messages'] . '</strong>]';
else
$title = $value['name'];
// there goes the menu item
$buttons[$value['id_button']] = array(
'title' => $title,
'href' => $value['href'],
'show' => true,
'target' => $value['target'],
'sub_buttons' => array(
),
'is_last' => $value['id_button'] == $menu_editor['last_button'] ? !$context['right_to_left'] : '',
'level' => 0
);
// Do we have Children?
if (!empty($menu_editor['children']['actual'][$value['id_button']]))
{
$buttons[$value['id_button']]['sub_buttons'] = array();
foreach ($menu_editor['children']['actual'][$value['id_button']] as $act => $sub_value)
{
// lets check again if there are some unread pm and add the count if any to children
$title = '';
if ($context['user']['unread_messages'] > 0 && $sub_value['href'] == $scripturl . '?action=pm')
$title = $sub_value['title'] .' [<strong>' . $context['user']['unread_messages'] . '</strong>]';
else
$title = $sub_value['title'];
// Introduce the Grandchildren - If we have any.
if (!empty($menu_editor['grandchildren']['actual'][$sub_value['id_button']]))
$temp[$sub_value['id_button']]['sub_buttons'] = $menu_editor['grandchildren']['actual'][$sub_value['id_button']];
else
$temp[$sub_value['id_button']]['sub_buttons'] = array();

// Actually add the Children!
$buttons[$sub_value['id_parent']]['sub_buttons'][$sub_value['id_button']] = array(
'title' => $title,

It adds unread pm counter to menu item if you set it as internal link to personal messages.
I claim no copyright (it all goes to Labradoodle-360) and give no warranty that it works or destroys your forum.
But it works for me so I hope it helps.

How would I go about doing this, but for the Help Desk alerts?

sangham.net

Thanks for this mod! More than just helpful

A question. Is there a simple way to make it useable also if there are more languages used?

Matthew K.

Not in Lite. By the time Menu Editor Pro hits 1.0 or 1.1, it will contain fully translatable options.

sangham.net

Thanks a lot for the answer.

Matthew K.

Not a problem, thanks for posting :)

sangham.net

Would it be useful to have the menu and text of this mod in German as well? If so, maybe I am able to do this.

Advertisement: