News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Connection problems

Started by FLORAMARILLA, March 07, 2012, 09:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suki

your username in the forum is not the same  as the mysql user

go to your cpanel

create a new myslq user and password

save that user and password

select the newly created user  and add it to your old database with all privileges

enter repair_settings and in the mysql user enter the newly created user

do the same for password.

now you can enter your forum with the old forum username

I strongly suggest you to post in the Spanish boards.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

emmanova

Ok Im glad I found this so I dont have to open a new thread. A bit if story first.

I am a Reseller Hosting (meaning I got a shared server that I can resell spaces to host other people websites.) My previous hosting provider was Resellers Panel, website was running great there but I started to get hacked not only to my site but to a lot of sites I am hosting with them. Hacked in a way that they were getting into the root of each account. After a few weeks fighting with Reseller Panel and them telling me was my problem I decided to move my forum to Host Gator (well I was forced to, cause Reseller Panel suspended the domain and they didnt want to release it. So I created a full cPanel backup and HostGator restored it into their server. Nothing changed, exactly the same way it was at Reseller Panel it is now at Host Gator (no new addons)

Well site was working fine when out of nowhere I am getting the same connection problem. I though was something messed up on my settings maybe a hacker changed something, but by refreshing the site it went away so I let that pass. Days pass and site is working fine then out of nowhere again same connection error, sometimes refreshing works sometimes it doesnt. So is a random thing. Searching online for solutions, I went inside the SQL and deleted all the backup_"addons", inside SMF I ran database optimization, checked folder permissions, etc. The other thing I found is that when my forum goes down my main site doesnt, meaning I have a homepage with Wordpress installed at http://xecofl.com but the forum is installed at http://xecofl.com/forum so when the forum gives me the cannot connect to database is not the the whole site goes down cause I can access the home page.

Let me tell you about forum. Is an Automotive Event Forum for Florida, I barely have visitors because the members come check the events and leave, so normally I have between 2 to 4 members online per day. Only after we do an event is when I have maybe 7 to 10 members.

At this point I chat with Host Gator and you will never guess what they think is wrong. Ah never mind Im sure you guess it. Yes they say the problem is with my site and not the server. So here is there excuses so far:

Host Gator   -  My Answers
1. You may have permission problems - Already Checked and Im not
2. You are getting a lot of traffic - No I don't I created an htaccess that blocks every IP except United States so I can keep hackers away. Maximum users are 10, regular users are 2 to 5. Also I checked the bandwidth of the server and is around 4% to 7%
3. You may be using too much CPU - No, I checked the Status of the Server and eveything is Status OK, when the site is completly down.
4. Maybe an Addon is causing the problem - I dont think so because I had the same addons from the other hosting provider and never got this problem
5. You may want to enale caching - Why? I dont have that much traffic?

So after all this BS. I demand for them to tell me what the server is reporting when this goes down, since when the site goes down, I check the server and ecerything is Status OK. So I asked them to check the Server Log which I cannot see and tell me what is triggering the problem. Their answer is "there is no error in the Apache Log"

So my problem: Host Gator says I have to enable caching and that the problem is my site. These are my addons btw

1.   Google Member Map    2.0.10     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.   Admin Notepad    2.0.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.   SMF 2.0.2 Update    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.   Member Color Link    3.1     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.   Aeva Media    1.4c     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.   Tapatalk SMF 2.0 RC4/RC5/Final Plugin    3.0.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.   Treasury    2.10     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.   FB & Twitter Sharer Mod 2.0    2.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.   SimplePortal    2.3.4     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.   SMF Garage    2.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.   Gamer IDs    1.4     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

Thanks in advance guys!

Illori

please open a separate thread for your issue, this thread belongs to someone else.

emmanova

Quote from: Illori on March 10, 2012, 06:10:39 PM
please open a separate thread for your issue, this thread belongs to someone else.

Ok i don't get it. If i open a new thread with the same message and same problem I will get bombarded by "search the forum before create a new thread" now I get told create a new thread cause this one belong to someone else?

I'm getting the exact same error message SMS cannot access the database because the server is busy.

Illori

the way the support team works is 1 thread per person per topic, we dont want people to combine their issues into one topic or we cant make sure the issue is resolved and we cant easily track who we are helping so please open a separate topic.

Advertisement: