News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

How can i remove Captcha from my website ?

Started by saanz, March 07, 2012, 04:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saanz

Hi all... I have forum created on SMF 2.x . Everything is working but am not getting users.  :(

Many times i see people registering in "Whos Online"..after after few minutes i find no extra users. I had even disabled email confirmation to get users but still wont get them . So i strongly believe it  might be the problem with captcha.. I tried to remove or disable it any how..but there is no option for the same. Though any how i made it the simplest captcha. My site is www.techdiscussion.in . Is there any one help me removing or disabling captcha completely /

Any help appreciated.

IchBin™

Admin > Configuration > Security and Moderation > Anti-spam . This is where you turn captcha on or off.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

MrPhil

If you choose to turn captcha off, make sure you have other anti-spam measures (such as user questions) enabled, or you'll be deluged with spam registrations. Captcha has become less useful due to smarter spiders and use of human spam farms, but you still need to use something. I wouldn't get rid of email validation, either, as that shouldn't discourage any real would-be member (unless the subject material is so sensitive that they could reasonably not want to give an email address).

Before disabling captcha, have you tried registering as a new user, to see if the process is working? Maybe you're missing the GD library or something, and no captcha is even showing up. Once that's working, you can tune it to an acceptable level of difficulty. See if there are other problems (such as outgoing mail not working) that might be interfering with registrations.

saanz

Quote from: MrPhil on March 07, 2012, 08:17:05 PMBefore disabling captcha, have you tried registering as a new user, to see if the process is working?

First of all thanks for your great info in the first para.. And yeah, i tried registering as a normal user with email address and it was working fine. was getting email confirmation as well. Just the problem was with the captcha.even i need to make 4 to 5 attempt to pass the captcha. So i believe that the problem was captcha why people were getting rid of registeration process. Like i need to try 5 to 6 times here on this forum while submitting this post.

Anyways, all helps appreciated heartly. Thank you guys.

Advertisement: