News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Need to allow unlimited PMs for my moderators, but not "plain" members

Started by wynnyelle, March 08, 2012, 01:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You would do this by creating a new membergroup for the moderators ( unless your moderators are already all part of a special membergroup such as global moderators ) and then setting the PM limit in that group to 0 ( 0 is unlimited )
The group then can be used either as primary or secondary ( visible or hidden ) - that should make no difference.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Killer Possum

To add to what Aleksi said, to get there it's;

Admin > Members > Membergroups > Modify (on the group in question) > Max personal messages

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Oh, and it seems I only answered half of the question. You would then need to set the PM limits for the regular members, through the post count membergroups - seeing as "regular members" is not a membergroup you can edit.

Come to think of it, I think this is a slight flaw in the design.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

do you want to allow them to send unlimited pm's or to store unlimited pms? they are 2 separate settings.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Those who have moderation permissions do not have limits to sending PMs, and the limit is a forum wide setting that can be found in Admin -> Configuration -> Security and Moderation -> Anti-Spam -> Number of personal messages a user may send in an hour
(0 for no limit, moderators are exempt)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

wynnyelle

I tried that already. They are all set to 0 {unlimited messages} but they still can't send more than 10 an hour unless they are admins or global mods. I want to enable my moderators, assistant moderators and community assistant ranks to send unlimited PMs.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The number of PMs per hour limit is one limit for everyone, not including moderators and admins. You either need to give the members some moderation permissions to allow them to ovverride the limit, or edit code to allow certain membergroups to be treated like moderators and admins when sending PMs.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

wynnyelle

It is limiting my moderators too. How would I do code to override it?

Advertisement: