News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

character display problem - why would this be happening

Started by wynnyelle, March 10, 2012, 05:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

http://warriorcatsrpg.com/index.php?topic=406818.new#new

Screenshot shown here. Please--I need some responses and help here. Someone to hire, or to just tell me what is wrong and how to fix it.

Please, anybody. Thanks!

Eudemon

hmm, try run a maintenance -> database -> Convert HTML-entities to UTF-8 characters ?

live627

Eudemon

it could also be the viewer's pc doesn't have the unicode of that character installed (well this usually happen to old browsers

wynnyelle

it suddenly started happening after we did a server reconfiguration. these people were not getting it before then.

Eudemon

MrPhil

Back up your database before running any conversions! Note that I doubt the suggested fix will help at all.

If you could give us a sample of "wrong" name and what it's supposed to be, we could be of more help.  You said there was a major server change? Have you checked that the page has the correct encoding, and that the server is sending it with that encoding and not overriding it to another encoding? That is, if your page is supposed to be UTF-8 (and the <meta> tag says so), do a browser View > Character Set Encoding and see if that's what's actually being displayed. I have seen servers configured to override UTF-8 requests with Latin-1.

If the page display is OK, might the database server been changed? Is it still holding text data in the correct encoding? Remember that MySQL's default is Latin-1, so if the database was recreated as part of this configuration change, and you forgot to change it to UTF-8, that could be a problem.

Advertisement: