Maybe off-topic but need some feedback on if use SMF or not?

Started by mdp, March 10, 2012, 09:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdp

Hello,

I have been asked by this riding motorcycle club to bring the website back.  There are about 48 members in the group and the goal of the website is to simply have a way for members to keep in touch via mailing list, add/remove events, polls, etc.  We paid 5 years in advance for the domain name and want to use free webhosting.  www.awardspace.com is our choice at the moment, but it allows one mysql database for free hosting.

Personally, I like SMF because it is easier for me to work with it from past experience although out of loop for few years.  Although most unlikely going to use forum but obviously the main script to work with additional scripts such as CMS and etc?  Is it possible to integrate few SMF Scripts into one mysql??

Thanks!
-Ken

LiroyvH

Stuff like SimplePortal uses the same database as SMF.

But... Seriously, if you want to be sure your site will work and that it is stable and wont be able to disappear from one day on another, get a paid host. You can get a paid host for like $30 USD per year... Perhaps even less if it's only a very small forum.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

mdp

Quote from: CoreISP on March 10, 2012, 09:06:47 PM
Stuff like SimplePortal uses the same database as SMF.

But... Seriously, if you want to be sure your site will work and that it is stable and wont be able to disappear from one day on another, get a paid host. You can get a paid host for like $30 USD per year... Perhaps even less if it's only a very small forum.

Thanks for the reply and I can't get paid hosting without member's approval, and beside we will hardly miss anything since it will mainly be used for mailing list and update event info, that's all.  The organization have voted to go from official club to independent and they chose me to maintain contact among members, and we are planning to blow money away paying everyone to eat out every month until money is gone then treasure/auditor position will be purged.  Nobody wanted to commit to meeting or fund raising event but to just ride.  I'm not going to pay anything out of my pocket. Thanks for your advice but you can understand my stance on this. 

Deaks

I would suggest looking at the Free Host and Hosting section on this forum, the 2 that I would suggest looking at is PCTweakr (Bigguy) and GCSolutions(Tumbleweed) both are known on this forum, both have good reputations and both care for there clients.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

kat

Quote from: Runic on March 11, 2012, 11:37:28 AMboth have good reputations and both care for their clients.

I'd agree with that! (Except for the "there" thing. ;)

IchBin™

Doesn't sound like he's looking for a free host, as he already said he found one.

mdp, if all you are looking for is something to manage a mail list and something to track events, isn't SMF too much for what you are needing? SMF foremost is a forum. It's calendar events are pretty limited compared to other calendar lists and stuff. And it's definitely not a mail list server. If I were you I'd look at using some other service for what you are seeking. Just my $.02.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Advertisement: