problems with displaying russian language posts after moving to another hosting

Started by yaniss, March 14, 2012, 09:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yaniss

Hi,

need help. Just moved my SM forum to another hosting account (to godaddy) moved db and files, all is working fine, except posts that ware in russian language are displayed with damaged encoding.

What can be the problem, where to search for solution?

thanks and
best
Y.

Kindred

check that the database encoding is correct... check that the moved forum is using UTF-8
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

yaniss

Kindred

in SMF, look in the server and language settings
for the mySQL, look in phpmyadmin...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

yaniss

Forum is using English UTF-8 and sql uses utf8_unicode_ci

I even tried to switch the forum language to russian, then all of the UI elements ware in russian, but old posts that ware in russian was still in some wrong encoding

Illori

can you check your backup from the original database and see if you can read the posts correctly there?

yaniss

yes I could for sure, but the domain name is gone now and I can't see the forum any more, but till the last minute when I made backup all was working

Illori

did you physically check the backup sql file? it does not sound like you did.

yaniss

Illori

yaniss

Illori

yaniss

Illori

then check your database to see that you can see them in phpmyadmin or similar, if you cant then your import was not done correctly.

yaniss

Horay!
I made db restore not with godaddy tool, but with phpmysql and now text is displayed as it should be!!!

but there is another problem, all attachments and avatars are not displayed. I checked the files are on the ftp but forum can't see them

MrPhil

When importing a backup (.sql) file, you have to tell phpMyAdmin what encoding the file is in. If you don't, the default it uses is usually Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1). You would need to explicitly tell it that the backup is in UTF-8 (assuming that's what it is) when doing the import (restore), otherwise it will translate each character from what it thinks is Latin-1, to UTF-8, when you wanted no translation at all.

Note also that MySQL's default is Latin-1 encoding for the database -- you need to explicitly set it up as UTF-8 during installation, or change it before importing any data. Finally, language support files (English or Russian) and the overall page encoding need to be consistent with the database (all UTF-8 in your case).

yaniss

Quote from: MrPhil on March 14, 2012, 11:43:08 AM
When importing a backup (.sql) file, you have to tell phpMyAdmin what encoding the file is in. If you don't, the default it uses is usually Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1). You would need to explicitly tell it that the backup is in UTF-8 (assuming that's what it is) when doing the import (restore), otherwise it will translate each character from what it thinks is Latin-1, to UTF-8, when you wanted no translation at all.

Note also that MySQL's default is Latin-1 encoding for the database -- you need to explicitly set it up as UTF-8 during installation, or change it before importing any data. Finally, language support files (English or Russian) and the overall page encoding need to be consistent with the database (all UTF-8 in your case).

thanks! this one I solved :)

now the attachment problem remains :S

yaniss

thanks, i already used this, and all setting seems to be correct
any other options on where should I look?

Illori

if the paths are correct and the files are on the server in the right spot there is no reason for them to not work.

Advertisement: