[Request] Multiple attachments at once !!!

Started by Nitesh Kunnath, March 16, 2012, 03:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitesh Kunnath

I searched the Mods site of SMF and around all SMF modification sites like SMF hacks, SMF packs, etc but couldnt get a mod which could do this job.

Is there any mod to attach multiple files at once ? Like a flash based attachment option when a user click on browse and he/she be able to select multiple files from the browse window. Its difficult to attach each single file in each attachment field. I wanted something like, after clicking on the attachment field, it should be able to select multiple files to be uploaded at once.

Please accept this request and include this feature in future SMF releases.

Kindred

well, flash is not the best way to do anything on a site anymore... (yes, apple has killed it)

I can see this as being a little bit useful - but only in certain circumstances. Most forums don't seem to have a trouble with the way attachments are handled (single selection) and this is the first request for this that we have seen...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: Kindred on March 16, 2012, 08:24:41 AM
well, flash is not the best way to do anything on a site anymore... (yes, apple has killed it)

I can see this as being a little bit useful - but only in certain circumstances. Most forums don't seem to have a trouble with the way attachments are handled (single selection) and this is the first request for this that we have seen...
Many forums running SMF are actually in need of this feature but as it isnt termed to be that important feature (without this too the work is done). So none bothers to make a voice supporting this feature.
Yes, flash is discontinued...so maybe HTML5 could replace it ?
The said feature makes a valid point to look after as many other forum platforms are offering it. I dont want SMF to lag behind anymore. I love SMF a lot and its developers and team who is working behind SMF platform !!!

If it cant be implemented as core default, atleast a plugin should be made available !!!

Kindred

well, I agree that it could be useful - but only in certain circumstances.... I can count on one hand, the number of times over the last 8 years that I have run a forum, that I would have any use for this....
(which is not to say it's a bad idea, just one that I don't think is as "needed" as you think)

That being said, I'll let the developers weigh in... but it's unlikely to be a feature for the next release.

If you would like to encourage a mod author to try to make a mod/plug-in for it, then please - by all means - post in the mod requests board. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

hackrishna

Hey i support that Request! I was thinking to ask the same to Arantor, and Die ..you posted it here  :D

Quote from: Kindred on March 16, 2012, 08:45:52 AM

If you would like to encourage a mod author to try to make a mod/plug-in for it, then please - by all means - post in the mod requests board. :)

Rather than being included in some Mods, it would be better if it will be present in the Future releases :)

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: hackrishna on March 16, 2012, 11:52:14 AM
Rather than being included in some Mods, it would be better if it will be present in the Future releases :)
Yup, There is nothing wrong if its being implemented in future releases as it wont add up any load to the forum software by any means. Instead, it will enrich the SMF platform more better.

hackrishna

It would be Epic and something must needed for advanced users, i guess. Also those, running Forums of images/gallery will be benefited for uploading multiple images at a once. It wouldn't be much difficult for developers of SMF, implementing Flash uploader :)

pushkardua

Yeah!!! It Would Be Better If Such Mods Are There!!!

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: hackrishna on March 16, 2012, 12:18:29 PM
It would be Epic and something must needed for advanced users, i guess. Also those, running Forums of images/gallery will be benefited for uploading multiple images at a once. It wouldn't be much difficult for developers of SMF, implementing Flash uploader :)

Quote from: pushkardua on March 16, 2012, 12:29:34 PM
Yeah!!! It Would Be Better If Such Mods Are There!!!
Hope we can see this feature in SMF 2.1.0 :)

Kindred

unlikely at best.

I suggest that you request a mod. This may be considered for future, future releases... but a mod is more likely to happen in any timeframe that you would want.

Honestly, as I said...   in  8 years of running and 10+ years of using forums, I have had maybe ONE case where this would have been useful... and even then, I got around it just fine by attaching the images one at a time.
(You can have multiple attachments, you just can not select them into the attachment option  "all at once")
Слaва
Украинi

IchBin™

Not to mention if a mod is made, and it is shown that it is indeed useful and wanted by the community, it's more likely to have a chance at making it into he core.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Upakul

Quote from: Kindred on March 16, 2012, 03:01:05 PM
unlikely at best.

I suggest that you request a mod. This may be considered for future, future releases... but a mod is more likely to happen in any timeframe that you would want.

Honestly, as I said...   in  8 years of running and 10+ years of using forums, I have had maybe ONE case where this would have been useful... and even then, I got around it just fine by attaching the images one at a time.
(You can have multiple attachments, you just can not select them into the attachment option  "all at once")
No seriously 10+ years doesnt matter. Forums has changed a lot in 10 years.

I am running a mobile forum where I uplaod 50+ wallapaers everyday and without this mod its a big pain to
add 50+ attachments in threads ONE BY ONE!

SMF needs some good features, a good mobile version NOT WAP (curve mobile is really poor)

and SMF needs good features which do not harm the forum load and multiple attachments at once will only add up to the list. wont harm anyone.

You are telling to use MODs in SMF when u yourself know properly how hard and painful it is to add mods to smf. If one clashes with other > forum down instantly.. all mods are written into the original forum files which is a BIG ISSUE. So do not recommend mods please.

emanuele

There are several different use cases for a forum, in mine for example I have attachments disabled at all using only external resources.

BTW, I have to thank you all for this feature request because while I was trying to implement a multi-upload using uploadify I discovered a rather nasty bug in SMF that Spuds fixed! :D

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Kindred

Upakul,

I disagree with your contention that experience does not matter.

I'd also like to point out that - while your instance was indeed frustrating, you are the exception, not the rule...  MOST forums do not need 50 files uploaded to a single post. (and if I was running a forum that did need something along those lines, I would not use a post - I'd use something like the aeva gallery or download mods.)

I did admit that a multi-upload would be useful. I merely clarified that it would be useful only to a limited set of forum. Most forums wouldn't need it. -- this is why we suggested a mod.

Additionally... I disagree with your statement about mods.  In my test forum, I had 160+ mods installed... with minimal manual edits done.

(mobile versus wap is a completely different topic and doesn't belong in this discussion)

finally... it does look like one of the smf devs has taken an interest (which is the point of this board, after all) but I still feel that this would be better as a mod first.

BTW: to die2mrw007 and pushkardua - Flash is probably a BAD way to handle multi-uploads these days....
Слaва
Украинi

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: Kindred on March 17, 2012, 06:16:12 AM
Upakul,

I disagree with your contention that experience does not matter.

I'd also like to point out that - while your instance was indeed frustrating, you are the exception, not the rule...  MOST forums do not need 50 files uploaded to a single post. (and if I was running a forum that did need something along those lines, I would not use a post - I'd use something like the aeva gallery or download mods.)

I did admit that a multi-upload would be useful. I merely clarified that it would be useful only to a limited set of forum. Most forums wouldn't need it. -- this is why we suggested a mod.

Additionally... I disagree with your statement about mods.  In my test forum, I had 160+ mods installed... with minimal manual edits done.

(mobile versus wap is a completely different topic and doesn't belong in this discussion)

finally... it does look like one of the smf devs has taken an interest (which is the point of this board, after all) but I still feel that this would be better as a mod first.

BTW: to die2mrw007 and pushkardua - Flash is probably a BAD way to handle multi-uploads these days....

I still disagree with the point to make it as mod and not include it in core. I just wish to know what harm it will do if its provided in Core. We can have it as option in admin panel whether to use flash uploader or basic one.

Just see this screenshot (an SMF 1.xx running forum having flash uploader)

Kindred

die....   I never said it would do any HARM in the core...   I said it would probably be faster and better to request it as a mod at this time.

See...   this is how we sometimes evaluate features which may or may not be desirable to add to the core product. If they are popular as mods, then there is a good chance that it is worth adding them to the core....   if not, then it is clear that they are minimally used features and are better left as mods.

THINK about it...  if we added every single "oh that would be neat" feature request, then suddenly we have code which is 200 time bigger than it needs to be with all sorts of potential for conflict and errors within the base code - all for features that less than 1% of the admins actually even use.  That's called BLOAT.

I am not saying that your request is unreasonable nor that this feature WOULD be bloat...    but consider the fact that sometimes a mod is the best way to evaluate the usefulness of an enhancement or feature.
Слaва
Украинi

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: Kindred on March 17, 2012, 07:26:42 AM
die....   I never said it would do any HARM in the core...   I said it would probably be faster and better to request it as a mod at this time.

See...   this is how we sometimes evaluate features which may or may not be desirable to add to the core product. If they are popular as mods, then there is a good chance that it is worth adding them to the core....   if not, then it is clear that they are minimally used features and are better left as mods.

THINK about it...  if we added every single "oh that would be neat" feature request, then suddenly we have code which is 200 time bigger than it needs to be with all sorts of potential for conflict and errors within the base code - all for features that less than 1% of the admins actually even use.  That's called BLOAT.

I am not saying that your request is unreasonable nor that this feature WOULD be bloat...    but consider the fact that sometimes a mod is the best way to evaluate the usefulness of an enhancement or feature.

I see...thanks for the explanation Kindred :)
I do agree with you.

BTW, you said, someone accepted this request to work upon...who is that developer ? and can we expect it to arrive in SMF mods section ?
I did posted this in mods request thread too...but there wasnt anyone interested to work upon this. Sad :(

niko

Probably easiest way to do this in SMF 1.1 and SMF 2.0 is to simple add "multiple" attribute to attachment inputs on Post.template.php of every theme.
It works since it upload exactly the same way as it would when you selected files in different boxes.

No flash required but Internet Explorer isn't supported (can only select one file, so it doesn't break). Also it lets you select more attachments than allowed.
Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)
Mods: SMF Arcade, Related topics, SMF Project Tools, Post History

WIP Mods: Bittorrent Tracker || SMF Wiki

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: emanuele on March 17, 2012, 05:38:27 AM
BTW, I have to thank you all for this feature request because while I was trying to implement a multi-upload using uploadify I discovered a rather nasty bug in SMF that Spuds fixed! :D
ooh, I do see Spuds as an active developer in SMF. Great work buddy :)

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: niko on March 17, 2012, 07:49:18 AM
Probably easiest way to do this in SMF 1.1 and SMF 2.0 is to simple add "multiple" attribute to attachment inputs on Post.template.php of every theme.
It works since it upload exactly the same way as it would when you selected files in different boxes.

No flash required but Internet Explorer isn't supported (can only select one file, so it doesn't break). Also it lets you select more attachments than allowed.
Internet Explorer is used only to download Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and other browsers nowadays ;D
LOL, very rare percentage uses IE :P

Advertisement: