Ease of Use

Started by Garrett, March 16, 2012, 11:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrett

My Forum is based on Model Ts. On another Model T Forum, I recommended to upgrade their forum software and they said they like it the way it was, pretty much that it was ease of use.

As an administrator, I'd like to see more information.

1- Have category descriptions, like MyBB does.
2- Have a better default theme. I don't like the core theme nor the gradient theme. (Core theme is default in 1.0, Gradient is default in 2.0)
3- Eliminate Curve themes. Don't like them.
4- Goes with 2 & 3 on themes. Don't use buttons like 2.0 and 1.0 have.
5- Keep the drop down menu.
6- Quick Editing - Have a part where you can simply edit your post from the topic without accessing the edit page.
7- Ease of use. This means to allow a 100-year old person to quickly learn how to use it. (Though noone on the Model T forum is 100 years old, but using that as a metaphor.)
8- More easy to use BBC Button system.
Owner, Garrett's Websites
Website Designer and proud SMF User since 2010

Kindred

well, from your list, 2,3,4 and 5 are all extreme personal preference involving themes...
Themes are, of course, all personal choice....   we like both the Core and the Curve themes. That's why we used them as the default for 1.1.x and 2.0.x. If you don't like them... then find a theme you do like.    Why should we change the default theme (just because you, personally don't like it?0 when it is simple as a single click for you to install a different theme in it's place?

1- category descriptions...   six of one, half a dozen of another...   but not a bad idea.

6- we already have that as a core feature. click the little icon at the bottom right of your post...

7- ease of use?   huh? unclear statement....

8- huh? how much more simple can the BBC buttons get?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

Quote from: 1912RamblerFan01 on March 16, 2012, 11:09:09 PMallow a 100-year old person to quickly learn how to use it.

I'm quite close and I'm incredibly thick, yet I find it pretty simple (Except the admin panel which I detest, I have to say).

emanuele

Quote from: ModelTFan01 on March 16, 2012, 11:09:09 PM
Where should the description be displayed?

2- Have a better default theme. I don't like the core theme nor the gradient theme. (Core theme is default in 1.0, Gradient is default in 2.0)
3- Eliminate Curve themes. Don't like them.
4- Goes with 2 & 3 on themes. Don't use buttons like 2.0 and 1.0 have.
...wouldn't be easier (and more helpful to say what you like instead of what you don't? :P

5- Keep the drop down menu.
Not in the plans to remove it.

6- Quick Editing - Have a part where you can simply edit your post from the topic without accessing the edit page.
As pointed out by Kindred lready exists.

7- Ease of use. This means to allow a 100-year old person to quickly learn how to use it. (Though noone on the Model T forum is 100 years old, but using that as a metaphor.)
Can you give few examples of where SMF is more difficult to use/understand?

Can you explain better?

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

MrPhil

Quote from: emanuele on May 13, 2012, 08:25:03 AM
Where should the description be displayed?
I would presume on the front page where the categories and boards are listed, to add descriptions to the categories in the same manner as the board descriptions.

Can you explain better?
I suspect that the OP doesn't know how to use the WYSIWYG feature, and is objecting to seeing the BBCode tags. @ModelTFan01, is this the case? WYSIWYG is turned on by the button that looks like [ + mouse pointer + ]. I don't use it myself, as I detest it (and WYSIWYG in general), but I understand that some people can't live without it. Each member on your forum can turn WYSIWYG "on" by default, via their profile. I don't think there is a way to turn it on by default for everyone, but that should be a SMOP in the new user setup to default it "on". If it's not in the new user setup pages, it could be added there (a bit more work).

Arantor

Quote1- Have category descriptions, like MyBB does.

And now it does.

Quote2- Have a better default theme. I don't like the core theme nor the gradient theme.

Purely subjective. But the purpose of a default theme is to be a canvas upon which new things are done, so it is intentionally a little bland compared to some out there.

2.1 does have a new theme. Some will hate it. Some will like it. It's like Marmite.

Quote3- Eliminate Curve themes. Don't like them.

Can't be done, just about all themes in 2.x base on Curve.

Quote4- Goes with 2 & 3 on themes. Don't use buttons like 2.0 and 1.0 have.

What does that even mean? But in any case, buttons are pretty much essential, so no. There are all kinds of usability matters concerning buttons that should not be changed.

Quote5- Keep the drop down menu.

Kept.

Quote6- Quick Editing - Have a part where you can simply edit your post from the topic without accessing the edit page.

Already core.

Quote7- Ease of use. This means to allow a 100-year old person to quickly learn how to use it. (Though noone on the Model T forum is 100 years old, but using that as a metaphor.)

Again very subjective.

Quote8- More easy to use BBC Button system.

There's a new editor in 2.1.

I think we're as done as we're going to get on this one.

Advertisement: