Why is Google activating an account ?

Started by hackrishna, March 18, 2012, 12:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackrishna

I used to see Google bots appearing in the online list a long time ago. But from last week i noticed there are three to four Google bots at a time! I hope that is normal too.

But just now in 'who's online', i saw a Google bot activating their account ? Why is this so ? Is everything normal ?? Does this happen in Forums ??

TheListener

This is nothing to be concerned with.

It does happen.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It is normal to see up to 5, sometimes temporarily even more Google bots. The sections the bots try to access, by following links or trying out links that they "assume" to be there, will show up in your whos online as valid actions, even though the bots will not have been able to access the sections or actually use them.

It's the same with guests, a guest may show up as reading a topic they have no access to, even though in reality they are only seeing a "register or log in" notice.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

hackrishna

Quote from: Old Fossil on March 18, 2012, 12:45:57 AM
This is nothing to be concerned with.

It does happen.

Thank you Old Fossil :)

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 18, 2012, 12:50:15 AM
It is normal to see up to 5, sometimes temporarily even more Google bots. The sections the bots try to access, by following links or trying out links that they "assume" to be there, will show up in your whos online as valid actions, even though the bots will not have been able to access the sections or actually use them.

It's the same with guests, a guest may show up as reading a topic they have no access to, even though in reality they are only seeing a "register or log in" notice.

Yeah i have seen guests on boards where i haven't set permissions for them to access  :D BTW ... Thank you for the reply :)

Advertisement: