How do I get rid of coding stuck at the top of my forum?

Started by CS Sentinel, March 18, 2012, 02:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CS Sentinel

Hey Guys, I recently started using SMF and I think I may have made a mistake by "Deleting" the "Add Warning to Visitors" mod BEFORE uninstalling it and now the code is stuck above the main logo at the top of the page.  If you would like to view what I'm talking about please visit my forum:  The CS Sentinel Relic Forum (thecssentinelrelicforum.net)

It gave me a message that I am just now realizing that it said "The you are about to delete is currently installed!  If you delete it, you may not be able to uninstall it later."

I would greatly appreciate any help that you guys could give me on how I can remove this code from there.  I even reinstalled the mod and uninstalled it again hoping that would wipe it away but it did not.....now I am up in arms and don't know where to go from here??  :-\ :-\

THIS PROBLEM WAS SOLVED BY LEX!  ;) ;) 8)

pkrack

Buddy you havent provided the link to your forum. Any how go to themes folder and click on the theme which you are using. I assume you are using default. So click on default folder. There search the file index.template.php and click edit.
When you open the file, search for the mod code which will be surely have some comments. Remove that snippet and then check.
Another simple way is deleted index.template.php and remand index.template.php~ by removing ~ from the end. But i think that the second option will not work because you have installed mod after deleting the warning mod due to which the backup of index.template.php will also have that code.
              If your forum is completely fresh then i suggest reinstalling it.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: CS Sentinel on March 18, 2012, 02:41:59 AM
Hey Guys, I recently started using SMF and I think I may have made a mistake by "Deleting" the "Add Warning to Visitors" mod BEFORE uninstalling it and now the code is stuck above the main logo at the top of the page.
Reupload the deleted package to your /Packages/ folder, and the package manager should be able to uninstall it then.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

CS Sentinel

Quote from: pkrack on March 18, 2012, 03:02:11 AM
             Buddy you havent provided the link to your forum. Any how go to themes folder and click on the theme which you are using. I assume you are using default. So click on default folder. There search the file index.template.php and click edit.
When you open the file, search for the mod code which will be surely have some comments. Remove that snippet and then check.
Another simple way is deleted index.template.php and remand index.template.php~ by removing ~ from the end. But i think that the second option will not work because you have installed mod after deleting the warning mod due to which the backup of index.template.php will also have that code.

Okay I went back and added the link to my forum

CS Sentinel

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 18, 2012, 03:03:10 AM
Hey Guys, I recently started using SMF and I think I may have made a mistake by "Deleting" the "Add Warning to Visitors" mod BEFORE uninstalling it and now the code is stuck above the main logo at the top of the page.
Reupload the deleted package to your /Packages/ folder, and the package manager should be able to uninstall it then.

Yes it did uninstall it, however the coding is still showing at top of my forum above my logo, check it out:  (www.thecssentinelrelicforum.net)  It is hard to see unless you highlight it with your mouse pointer

CS Sentinel

Quote from: pkrack on March 18, 2012, 03:02:11 AM

Well it isn't entirely brand new I've been using it for two weeks and have built up several members and posts...

CS Sentinel

pkrack

Hm i am checking your forum and if i can do, i will do it for free

pkrack

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The code showing up would most probably be in Modifications.*yourlanguage*.php, and most probably in a wrong place within that file.
If you could grab all your /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.*.php files, and attach them here - I can take a look at them.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: pkrack on March 18, 2012, 03:17:09 AM
ok. It seems to be easy.Pm me your ftp details
Offering to help is OK, but I would request that in the future, you accompany your requests for any login details with a link to A reminder about admin / ftp passwords... - Specially in cases where any login details might not even be necessary.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

pkrack

@Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen ok. Sorry for that. I asked  him in pm to provide the files if he can.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That's fine. We just hope to make sure everyone understands the possible risks involved, and gets a fair chance to make an informed decision on who and when to trust with their login details. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

pkrack

Ask your webmaster to remove following lines from managesettings.php
2025 // Adk warning to
visitors
2026 array('check',
'adkwv_enable'),
array('select',
'adkwv_elevation', array
('top' => $txt
['adkwv_top'], 'bottom'
=> $txt
['adkwv_bottom'])),
2028 array('text',
'adkwv_height'),
2029 array('text',
'adkwv_background'),
array('large_text',
'adkwv_user_code', '6"
style="width:98%'),
2032 );

pkrack

In themes / default / languages / modifications.english.php remove these lines upto the next end comment
// Adk warning to visitors

$txt['adkwv_enable'] = 'Enable Adk warning to visitors';
$txt['adkwv_background'] = 'Here you can choose the background color example #006699<br />Or leave it empty if you wish to not display a color.';
$txt['adkwv_elevation'] = 'Here you can choose whether to display up or down';
$txt['adkwv_top'] = 'Up';
$txt['adkwv_bottom'] = 'Down';

sorry for my late response due to network problem. I was unable to remove those lines via forum admin panel as sources folder cant be accessed and you were unable to copy the files and paste them here. I hope you may get your problem solved. If you still get struk the tell us. :-)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If the mod is already uninstalled, I believe the language files are the only ones left - and most probably the unnecesary text is after the closing tag of the file.
We've made arrangements with the OP, that if they are unable to fix it, and can provide me FTP access, I'll fix it for them.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Illori

if you remove those lines and the mod that needs them is still installed, you will get errors, just find the ?> and move it to the very end of the file on a separate line from the rest of the text in the file.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

pkrack, I deleted your double post. I believe it was a mistakenly posted in the first place, but just letting you know.

Everyone, I'm waiting for the OP to get back to me later - as they don't even have access to the files themselves at the moment. Let's just wait for now. ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

pkrack

@lex he has deleted the mod without uninstalling it so i guess  that no code has been removed. I already asked for ftp but i think that buddy is not comfortable in sharing his ftp details. And thanks for removing my duplicate post
@ILLORI he mentioned that he has deleted the mod. It means its still installed but with files missing

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: CS Sentinel on March 18, 2012, 03:06:56 AM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 18, 2012, 03:03:10 AM

Yes it did uninstall it, however the coding is still showing at top of my forum above my logo, check it out:  (www.thecssentinelrelicforum.net)  It is hard to see unless you highlight it with your mouse pointer

Also, the OP does not know their FTP credentials, hence we are waiting for them to find the info and get back to me.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: