News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

updated to 2.02 and getting this error...

Started by DarkAngel612, March 22, 2012, 04:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel612

Quote from: K@ on April 17, 2012, 06:05:43 AM
I may have already asked this...

What version of PHP do you have on the server?

Could it be either a bit old or a bit new?

(I'm fishing, here, as you may have noticed) ;)

PHP: 5.2.17
Apache: 2.2.17
MySQL: 5.0.95-community with localhost via UNIX socket <-- from myPHPadmin page
MySQL client version: 4.1.22
Operating System is Linux

They have recently update c-panel too

mods installed:
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

MrPhil

Looking through the code in Sources/Subs-db-mysql.php, I see something odd. In most functions, $connection is an optional parameter, with a default value of null. If null, the $db_connection global is used instead. In smf_db_error(), $db_connection is (re)set to the output of mysql_[p]connect(), but if it comes back null (call failed), it gets set to false. That must be where the "is a boolean" error message is coming from.

It would appear to me, based on this admittedly brief examination, that sometimes database error handling is leaving the connection ($db_connection) as false instead of null or a valid connection value. Just a thought, but anyone having chronic troubles with "second parameter expected to be a resource, but is a boolean" might try changing the $db_connection = false; to $db_connection = null; and report back whether matters improved.

If the intent was to kill the whole database connection due to unrecoverable errors, it probably could have been handled better. At the least, the code setting $db_connection to false should have been commented as to what's going on, and perhaps a message to the user!

kat

[Beach Boys mode]

Oh, wouldn't it be nice!

[/Beach Boys mode]

DarkAngel612

I forgot to add that I had a full error_log yesterday and today so far not a single error_log shows up.
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

DarkAngel612

well that stupid mysql error is back almost daily again and am wondering if it is a c-panel thing with the latest upgrade many hosts have done to c-panel everywhere.

I did get a notice that there is a version of c-panel that is not going to final as yet---they thought it would be soon but changed their minds--due to a bug...really a bug??? wonder what set them a clue...lol

I hate gremlin bugs they are so hard to pinpoint.

kat

Apologies for not reading this whole thread through. You may have already answered this...

Are you on shared hosting?

If you are, it could be that the sever's getting hammered by someone else and you're suffering, as a result of that.

DarkAngel612

all our forums are on our VPS server...and only this forum is misbehaving

kat

Bugger. I remember you saying that, now. Poo.

I'm out of ideas. Could one of those other installations be hammering the server, in some way?

Shoutbox set to "Real time", Chat room?

DarkAngel612

shoutbox is thru TP and has been there forever , security mods also were in place prior to 2.0. the security mods are on all the forums as they have been  so the others should also be having this error issue but nope only this forum is.

tis weird but I will just continue deleting the file and let it do its thing. nothing is going on with the forum...**sighs**

kat

On my forum, I have error-reporting disabled. ;)

SMF Arcade...

DarkAngel612

you mean the setting in admin for that error log area?

do you think that may stop the error_log on the server, which is where it shows up and never in the admin section?

kat

Ah. No, I think that'll keep chugging away. I believe that that's totally independent of SMF.

That makes me wonder, though. Is there anything in the SMF error-log that might give us any clues about this?

DarkAngel612

just undefined this or that is all that is ever there and also telling me that this user or that one is considered a spammer and to notify administrator. other than that nothing else.

TheListener

Quote from: DarkAngel612 on April 23, 2012, 10:38:40 PM
just undefined this or that is all that is ever there and also telling me that this user or that one is considered a spammer and to notify administrator. other than that nothing else.

Are you able to copy some of the errors and post them within a quote code?

DarkAngel612

From earlier in the month:

PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  server in /home/thefanta/public_html/attic/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 622

PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  utf8 in /home/thefanta/public_html/attic/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1257

PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  utf8 in /home/thefanta/public_html/attic/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1259

PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  server in /home/thefanta/public_html/attic/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1279

PHP Warning:  preg_replace() [<a href='function.preg-replace'>function.preg-replace</a>]: Compilation failed: invalid UTF-8 string at offset 8 in /home/thefanta/public_html/attic/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 1279

PHP Fatal error:  Cannot use string offset as an array in /home/thefanta/public_html/attic/Themes/default/Wireless.template.php on line 1516

today's error and for the record---no huge error_log on server with mysql taken over it either...lol

8: Undefined variable: settings
File: /home/thefanta/public_html/attic/Themes/default/TPsubs.template.php(114) : eval()'d code
Line: 47

8: Undefined variable: settings
File: /home/thefanta/public_html/attic/Themes/default/TPsubs.template.php(114) : eval()'d code
Line: 47

I also have disable template on but I think for some reason it does not behave and the mod no longer works for installing it either

MrPhil

Those "undefined index" errors have shown up a number of other times, usually associated with Simple Portal. Have you posted on your portal's (TP?) support thread?

DarkAngel612

yuppers but why this forum only and when before 2.0 I used it then too 5+ yrs with no problems

2.0 just being really mean to me with this forum and not the others on our server...lol

Advertisement: