News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[Help] Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted

Started by Nitesh Kunnath, March 23, 2012, 03:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitesh Kunnath

When I send a PM, I get this error sometimes
Anyone know what it maybe ? Or anyone experienced such error before ?

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 826064718 bytes) in /Sources/Subs-Package.php on line 2955

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It means that a part of the script is trying to use more memory than your PHP settings allow.
The PHP Memory limit would seem to be 128M, which really should be more than enough for most purposes, so there is a high probability that there is something wrong with your forum.

What mods have you installed? Do you get errors in your logs?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 23, 2012, 03:51:12 AM
It means that a part of the script is trying to use more memory than your PHP settings allow.
The PHP Memory limit would seem to be 128M, which really should be more than enough for most purposes, so there is a high probability that there is something wrong with your forum.

What mods have you installed? Do you get errors in your logs?
I am getting this error in logs
the Gplus login errors

and rest all are either incorrect password or Banned member login errors !!!

So, where might be the issue ?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Can you give me a list of all the mods you have installed at the moment?
Can you give me a copy of the Subs-Package.php file mentioned in the error?

Come to think of it, I really don't understand why that file would ever come up related to PMs....
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Nitesh Kunnath

Deleted

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Thanks - Try to hang in there, I'll get back to you once I'm in front of my own computer, unless someone else takes over from here before that. ( I'm at work at the moment, and with very limited resources at my disposal )
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 23, 2012, 05:57:54 AM
Thanks - Try to hang in there, I'll get back to you once I'm in front of my own computer, unless someone else takes over from here before that. ( I'm at work at the moment, and with very limited resources at my disposal )
its okay, fine :)
I will wait !!!

Kermit

Huh you have a bunch of installed mods there ,about gplus error you may want to ask better the mod author,as he might give better support than we would and regarding memory problem it's really hard to say,especially as the problem not permanently occurs,you can try to disable some big mods one by one,so you will see which mods possibly causing that memory problem
My Mods
Please don't PM/mail me for support,unless i invite you
Formerly known as Duncan85
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

A. Einstein

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: Kermit on March 23, 2012, 07:12:19 AM
Huh you have a bunch of installed mods there ,about gplus error you may want to ask better the mod author,as he might give better support than we would and regarding memory problem it's really hard to say,especially as the problem not permanently occurs,you can try to disable some big mods one by one,so you will see which mods possibly causing that memory problem
Or may I increase the memory limit ? Any drawbacks on doing this ?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If you increase the limit, and current limit was hit by a misbehaving script, it will only make matters worse to allow it to grab more. You need to try and find the reason it takes so much memory, and not keep giving more.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 23, 2012, 09:05:40 AM
If you increase the limit, and current limit was hit by a misbehaving script, it will only make matters worse to allow it to grab more. You need to try and find the reason it takes so much memory, and not keep giving more.
Any other way round to check the memory leak ?
Disabling each mod and waiting for the error to get displayed is too long process as the error is reported by one of the members of my forum. Even I noticed such error 2 days back.
So, If I disable one mod and wait for 2-3 days to get the results and so on..it will take me some months to get find the exact issue.

MrPhil

What changes did you make (mods installed, etc.) just before these errors started? 128MB of memory is an awful lot to burn through, so I agree that merely increasing the amount (if your host will let you) is probably not going to solve the problem. By any chance is this an absolutely huge forum (hundreds of thousands of members)? Does it only happen with sending PMs to a large number of members? In that case, SMF might not be able to hold all the necessary data in memory at once.

Why do you have to wait for a member to report a problem? Doesn't this show up in your SMF Error Log and/or your site error_log files? Does it only happen to some members, or can you replicate it acting as a normal member?

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: MrPhil on March 23, 2012, 11:28:33 AM
What changes did you make (mods installed, etc.) just before these errors started? 128MB of memory is an awful lot to burn through, so I agree that merely increasing the amount (if your host will let you) is probably not going to solve the problem. By any chance is this an absolutely huge forum (hundreds of thousands of members)? Does it only happen with sending PMs to a large number of members? In that case, SMF might not be able to hold all the necessary data in memory at once.

Why do you have to wait for a member to report a problem? Doesn't this show up in your SMF Error Log and/or your site error_log files? Does it only happen to some members, or can you replicate it acting as a normal member?
It isnt showing up in Error Log..... It happens only to some members at some point of time... Even I experienced such error 2 days back... I dont have any idea from when this issue surfaced. And the forum is moderate in size holding 44467 Posts in 2670 Topics by 4575 Members

MrPhil

If you don't think you did anything (installing a mod, etc.) and you aren't aware of your host making any changes (PHP level etc. -- ask them), that leaves the possibility of a hacker changing your system to spew spam or something. Get a listing of the dates and times of all your files and see if any have suspiciously recent "last modified" timestamps. Look in those files to see if there's any odd code added (especially at the very beginning or very end of the file).

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: MrPhil on March 23, 2012, 04:23:13 PM
If you don't think you did anything (installing a mod, etc.) and you aren't aware of your host making any changes (PHP level etc. -- ask them), that leaves the possibility of a hacker changing your system to spew spam or something. Get a listing of the dates and times of all your files and see if any have suspiciously recent "last modified" timestamps. Look in those files to see if there's any odd code added (especially at the very beginning or very end of the file).
OMG...thanks a lot... I am checking out now !!!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Are you absolutely sure that the error in your first post is triggered by PMs? The file seems fine on first glance, and the functions in it should not have any part in private messages.
I would follow MrPhil's advice, and check the files just to be sure - but do you have access to your server's error log?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 24, 2012, 03:51:19 AM
Are you absolutely sure that the error in your first post is triggered by PMs? The file seems fine on first glance, and the functions in it should not have any part in private messages.
I would follow MrPhil's advice, and check the files just to be sure - but do you have access to your server's error log?
yup, I have access to server error logs....

Below are the logs created :
Deleted

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Those would appear to be unrelated, but if and when you see the original error - it might be a good idea to see the server log if there is something related to that.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Nitesh Kunnath

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 24, 2012, 05:33:33 AM
Those would appear to be unrelated, but if and when you see the original error - it might be a good idea to see the server log if there is something related to that.
okay, I will keep an eye on it...thanks for the info and help over this. I am worried if my forum is hacked :(

Advertisement: