News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Group

Started by iMadness, March 24, 2012, 08:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iMadness

Hi, just a suggestion:
Do you think there should be a group, where people can PM a person (or any group member) with a link to their support thread, and it will get handled, either directed to the SMF lead, or the person who gets a PM?
That way support gets to people faster?
/discuss

Kindred

No....

1- certain people's pm boxes would get overfilled... See the signature on most of the team members?
2- you would then be waiting until the single person gets around to addressing your issues. With a forum post, any user with knowledge is able to offer support
3- the entire point of a support forum is to provide support for everyone...   Maybe someone else had he same problem? If so then, without a forum post, they would have to also ask for individual support... Instead of reading your post it's the same problem and being able to find the solution.

So, basically... N
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

iMadness

I know what you mean, but at the same time, it would give better, more personalized support.
I made this thread, mainly because I've been waiting for my errors to be "serviced" xD

Suki

It would be unrealistic to offer personalized support for everyone that visit this support forum.

Even with a team of 100 people, it will still be extremely difficult to address every single user in a personal level.

There is the charter group where you get support from the team but even at that, it is not one to one support.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Douglas

Quote from: iMadnessI know what you mean, but at the same time, it would give better, more personalized support.
Personalized support is already available. Where?  By becoming a Charter Member.
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Matthew K.

All of the team and friend responses here so far are accurate. You should be thankful there's FAST...FAST free support, and free software, period?

Kindred

Plus.. What wait?

Every thread you have started, that I can see, has someone who seems to be working with you.
Additionally, do note that we only have a few people who know much about converting from mybb
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

iMadness

Well, not to bash, but on the MyBB support forums, I've gotten much faster more accurate replies...
And paying $50 for support that I would get with mybb, would turn me away.

Maybe I should rephrase, a mod made, so unreplied to threads in X forum (SMF 2 support, conversion, etc), get posted in a "Support" forum, that only supoort leads can see, so people who haven't gotten help, would be seen. And get a reply.

Kindred

again.....

we have already explained how things work.

there are dedicated support forums.
the support team reads those dedicated support forums.
the team actually has a list of threads which are awaiting response....

So, we actually have pretty much what you are suggesting
(of course, we don't close off that support forum for other users to see, since it is quite possible that some user other than the team may also have an appropriate answer)

Of course, what you are suggesting seems to depend on having a 24/7 paid staff ready to answer every question.
Sorry... SMF doesn't have that.
Sorry if you think myBB has better support. I'd argue the point that -- probably your questions over there did not require quite ans much knowledge. (and BTW: I've looked at the myBB site... I see that there are unanswered and/or in process questions over there just as mcuh as here.)

(and no one said that you are required to donate to SMF...   we give free support just the same. The charter members are given access to a helpdesk ticket system as a thanks for their donation... but we still support every other user just the same. (and even charter members may need to wait until a staff member with the knowledge to answer their question sees it and has the time to answer)
Слaва
Украинi

iMadness

Eh, I see what you mean.
I've ran forums for a few years, and I hate seeing threads without replies... because I know said person has no idea what they're doing..
And I would attempt to answer them on my own, but again, I've been with mybb for 2 years, so I have no real idea how the coding works, and probably couldn't help with anything but installation.

image2all

I support  your suggestion. I think that there should be a Group.

Kindred

Obviously, either a spammer or someone who didn't bother to read the thread and answers
Слaва
Украинi

kat

Spamtard. Guaranteed.

I'd even go as far as suggesting the name's removed or changed, so that search-engines don't get it.

青山 素子

Quote from: iMadness on March 25, 2012, 09:23:17 AM
I've ran forums for a few years, and I hate seeing threads without replies... because I know said person has no idea what they're doing..
And I would attempt to answer them on my own, but again, I've been with mybb for 2 years, so I have no real idea how the coding works, and probably couldn't help with anything but installation.

If you want to see the tools used by the team and other community members who like to help, go to the group membership area of your profile and join "Community Support Helper". You'll see a new box at the top labeled "Community Support Helper Resources" with a bunch of fancy links to support topics in need of replies, the same tools used by team members.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Matthew K.

The support team also has a support topics queue of topics...

Advertisement: