Why don't support Simplemachine Mobile devices ?

Started by feline, March 27, 2012, 01:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feline

It's easy and simple to see a SMF forum on Mobile devices .. (see our Site), why don't support SMF that?

NanoSector

Most mobile browsers can take desktop sites these days.
Also there's WAP2 if you need it.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

TheListener

I can easily view my forums and smf on my android phone and itouch.

NanoSector

Quote from: Old Fossil on March 27, 2012, 01:36:45 PM
I can easily view my forums and smf on my android phone and itouch.
So can I. My HTC HD2 (running Android 4.0.3) has a 4.3" screen and my iPod touch (running iOS 5.1) has a 3.5" screen.
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

feline

NanoSector

Quote from: feline on March 27, 2012, 01:41:17 PM
Not any one have a tablet pc  ;)
That's not a tablet PC, that's a smartphone which almost anyone has (or you must be ancient).

TheListener

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on March 27, 2012, 01:42:10 PM
Quote from: feline on March 27, 2012, 01:41:17 PM
Not any one have a tablet pc  ;)
That's not a tablet PC, that's a smartphone which almost anyone has (or you must be ancient).

That's possible Kiddo. Anyone older than me is ancient.

bloc

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on March 27, 2012, 01:35:10 PM
Most mobile browsers can take desktop sites these days.
Also there's WAP2 if you need it.
WAP2 doesn't really look good other on older phones, for which it was made. Smartphones/tablets are a breed that deserve its own  templates, simplified but still rich in looks.

Problem really, is that while you can use something like SMF4mobile(which isn't free :P ) it should NOT be a separate theme, but using the same styles as the theme - but with a simpler layout. That requires a switch to other templates or other subtemplates(to reduce downloading things in the main templates that are not wanted on the smartphone/tablet)

As for detecting mobile devices..I advocate assuming smartphones/tablets FIRST(that means touch devices that use the whole width), then check for desktop browsers since they are easier to sort out(and SMF already does it). Maintaining the growing list of smartphones etc. is a tedious task, and the list will be massive in years to come.

Antechinus

Yes that's defo the way to do it if starting from scratch.

青山 素子

Quote from: Bjoern "Bloc" Kristiansen on March 27, 2012, 04:23:31 PM
Maintaining the growing list of smartphones etc. is a tedious task, and the list will be massive in years to come.

Well, there's WURFL, but because of commercial theft of the data, the new license on it is very restrictive. Sad, too. It's a really good resource.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: