News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

What is a good setting for 'Maximum emails to send per minute' ?

Started by ApplianceJunk, April 01, 2012, 05:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApplianceJunk

Under the mail setting there is a option to set the maximum emails to send per minute.

I checked with my host and we have no email sending limits.

Mail type is SMTP.

Maximum emails to send per minute is set at zero and I did not have Enable Mail Queue checked.

When I sent out a newsletter (just a few lines of text) this morning to a member group with only 130 members it took about 4-5 minutes.

The page would auto refresh right away, but the percent it showed that was sent increased very slowly with each page reload.

Would enabling the mail queue and setting a maximum email per minute speed that up or does that sound about normal the way it is?

With 'enable mail queue' not check is it already sending them at the max speed?

Thanks,

pkrack

Mail queue does not effect the speed of the mails. It only stop them for some time (if set) and send them number by number. I guess that your host has limited sending mails per second as they have given you  unlimited mails per second which can black list their server ip .

NanoSector

I'd set it to something like 25. JMHO though, may seem that you can have more send at once, this just seems a reasonable amount.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

ApplianceJunk

Thanks for the replies.

I don't send out many 'newsletters', but the ones I have sent are always just a few lines of text.

I'm using SMTP now with my new host to send them.

With other hosts I have used in the past I used PHP.

When I have sent them in the past with PHP it's been to all members, 10,000+

Back then with PHP and 10,000+ members it took around 15-20 minutes of the page auto refreshing to send them.

With the resent newsletter being sent out to only 130 members using SMTP and taking 4-5 minutes I feel it's going to take for ever if I try to send a newsletter out to all my members again someday.

I asked my current host and was told there are no restrictions on sending email that I would be best to look in the SMF docs or ask here.

So I was just wondering what would be my best option before I tried sending emails again someday.

We currently have 12,909 members. Sending out 25 emails/minute would take over 8 hours, if I did the math right.

Is that how long everyone else takes to send out newsletters through there forum using SMTP?

Thanks,

NanoSector

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on April 02, 2012, 11:33:20 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I don't send out many 'newsletters', but the ones I have sent are always just a few lines of text.

I'm using SMTP now with my new host to send them.

With other hosts I have used in the past I used PHP.

When I have sent them in the past with PHP it's been to all members, 10,000+

Back then with PHP and 10,000+ members it took around 15-20 minutes of the page auto refreshing to send them.

With the resent newsletter being sent out to only 130 members using SMTP and taking 4-5 minutes I feel it's going to take for ever if I try to send a newsletter out to all my members again someday.

I asked my current host and was told there are no restrictions on sending email that I would be best to look in the SMF docs or ask here.

So I was just wondering what would be my best option before I tried sending emails again someday.

We currently have 12,909 members. Sending out 25 emails/minute would take over 8 hours, if I did the math right.

Is that how long everyone else takes to send out newsletters through there forum using SMTP?

Thanks,

I never send out emails. My community is as dead as the box beside me :P

You probably can have it at 100 to 200 but I wouldn't go higher then that.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

pkrack

I have a suggestion for you. Connect your mail system with gmail or yahoo and try sending mails. If it get delayed then its problem in smf. If it got delivered at once, its problem with your host.

Roph

Is there a reason you're going for SMTP instead of the standard mail()?

My mail queue settings are for 500 per minute tops, 30 max per page load. When mass mailing my 22k users I don't get any forum slowdown, and it's done in under an hour.

Since your appear to be running cPanel/WHM, have a look around WHM's mail settings. By default I believe there is a limit set of something like 500 mails per domain, per hour.

Advertisement: