News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Automatic Newsletter for SMF2

Started by HoverClub, March 31, 2012, 12:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naijacrux

hello, i have been searching for help on this mode, i have the one for wordpress that can import emails directly to server rather than adding one by one, i have email list of over 200000 plus old members from my other site and want to import the emails to this newsletter at once, i have been adding one after the other but it too large . please i need help on how to import or add the email list of about 200000members at once to my site http://www.naijacrux.com [nofollow]

Kindred

This newsletter mod uses the SMF memberlist, AFAIK....   importing your emails would have to be done as creating a new forum member for each and every email address.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bob123

This mod needs mods. I contacted the original mod author and he is not. What does that mean?, he did not author the mod, he paid to have it coded. I asked him for the coders name and he did not even remember. He was totally disinterested in doing any modifications or updates.

Why has no one made any better newsletter mods over the years as after all simple machines is pretty popular, I just don't get it.

I can say this if there is anyone out there who knows a decent coder who knows simple machines and would like to pay to have a decent newsletter mod built, or this newsletter modded/updated, we should talk as I would be in for paying for a better newsletter mod or having this newsletter updated.

I need a manual send newsletter option and I need a members list added that would list forum members and newsletter members side by side with a checkbox for deleting members. I would just delete all newsletter members who were not also forum members. Also I don't see why this newsletter did not just use the forum members table and pull email addresses from that, it did not need to ad another mysql table for newsletter member email addresses. I guess the guy who paid to have it coded wanted that feature.

On my forum I have it set to allow new members if they confirm their email address, it seems all new forum members are automatically signed up for newsletter membership. I require new members to make an introduction post right away after they become members, it is in my terms of service. I go in once per week and delete all the forum spammers who have signed up but have made no introduction post. Not sure why but the forum spammers only sign up, they never post anything, once I did have one of them post spam links right away, but only once so my delete new members with no post gets 99% of the spammers who sign up.

In phpmyadmin I have easily found the newsletter table that holds all the newsletter subscribers, I deleted them all. I'll make a forum post telling my members to re-sign up if they want the newsletter. Only problem, I'll need to go in and delete all newsletter members every 6 months to 1 year so eliminate the spammers who signed up but who's accounts were deleted but who's newsletter subscription was automatically added due to being new members. I'm not going to remember to take each spammers email address and go into the newsletter unsubscribe option and manually remove them, what a pain.

Robert

bob123

Quote from: Kindred on August 11, 2016, 07:14:55 PM
This newsletter mod uses the SMF memberlist, AFAIK....   importing your emails would have to be done as creating a new forum member for each and every email address.

If this is true, then why is there a new mysql table specifically for the newsletter added and on my forum the forum spammers can be deleted from my forum membership but remain as newsletter subscribers?

Given this, there could be a way to ad newsletter members and not at the same time ad forum members, though there is no way to do that sort of thing now, it would need to be custom coded.

That could be one of the updates added to this newsletter, a textbox specifically for adding newsletter subscribers in bulk, one member email address per line.

Robert

naijacrux

Quote from: bob123 on August 24, 2016, 05:14:15 PM
Quote from: Kindred on August 11, 2016, 07:14:55 PM

If this is true, then why is there a new mysql table specifically for the newsletter added and on my forum the forum spammers can be deleted from my forum membership but remain as newsletter subscribers?

Given this, there could be a way to ad newsletter members and not at the same time ad forum members, though there is no way to do that sort of thing now, it would need to be custom coded.

That could be one of the updates added to this newsletter, a textbox specifically for adding newsletter subscribers in bulk, one member email address per line.

Robert

Please I will be grateful if you can help me on this issue.how [nofollow] can I access phpmyadmin table for this newsletter and import the 200000plus email once.this is urgent and important to me.I don't know why mod op fail to update this mod for mass email option and email import option .the subscription plugin on WordPress has really help my WordPress website traffic.when I import the 200k email to my WordPress,my rank goes up from 700k to 369k within 1week.traffic increase. I need someone who can explain how to import my subscribers list to this SMF mod once.

naijacrux

Quote from: bob123 on August 24, 2016, 05:06:07 PM
This mod needs mods. I contacted the original mod author and he is not. What does that mean?, he did not author the mod, he paid to have it coded. I asked him for the coders name and he did not even remember. He was totally disinterested in doing any modifications or updates.

Why has no one made any better newsletter mods over the years as after all simple machines is pretty popular, I just don't get it.

I can say this if there is anyone out there who knows a decent coder who knows simple machines and would like to pay to have a decent newsletter mod built, or this newsletter modded/updated, we should talk as I would be in for paying for a better newsletter mod or having this newsletter updated.

I need a manual send newsletter option and I need a members list added that would list forum members and newsletter members side by side with a checkbox for deleting members. I would just delete all newsletter members who were not also forum members. Also I don't see why this newsletter did not just use the forum members table and pull email addresses from that, it did not need to ad another mysql table for newsletter member email addresses. I guess the guy who paid to have it coded wanted that feature.

On my forum I have it set to allow new members if they confirm their email address, it seems all new forum members are automatically signed up for newsletter membership. I require new members to make an introduction post right away after they become members, it is in my terms of service. I go in once per week and delete all the forum spammers who have signed up but have made no introduction post. Not sure why but the forum spammers only sign up, they never post anything, once I did have one of them post spam links right away, but only once so my delete new members with no post gets 99% of the spammers who sign up.

In phpmyadmin I have easily found the newsletter table that holds all the newsletter subscribers, I deleted them all. I'll make a forum post telling my members to re-sign up if they want the newsletter. Only problem, I'll need to go in and delete all newsletter members every 6 months to 1 year so eliminate the spammers who signed up but who's accounts were deleted but who's newsletter subscription was automatically added due to being new members. I'm not going to remember to take each spammers email address and go into the newsletter unsubscribe option and manually remove them, what a pain.

Robert

lease I will be grateful if you can help me on this issue.how [nofollow] can I access phpmyadmin table for this newsletter and import the 200000plus email once.this is urgent and important to me.I don't know why mod op fail to update this mod for mass email option and email import option .the subscription plugin on WordPress has really help my WordPress website traffic.when I import the 200k email to my WordPress,my rank goes up from 700k to 369k within 1week.traffic increase. I need someone who can explain how to import my subscribers list to this SMF mod once.
Modify message

luuuciano

Today I saw that the "main" server email account is receiving bounced newsletters........ and that is not a "public" email account, is the one that is created by default, something like [email protected] (being username the server account username....)
(in fact, in cpanel is even named as just "username" email account... it has NO @domain.com section...)

Is this possible? because I think that the delevery should be done using the email that is configured in the smf admin?

There is any way to force which email will be used when sending newsletters?
No me agradan los foros que no te dejan borrar TU PROPIO usuario, como por ejemplo smfsimple.com.
E incluso te mandan emails no solicitados, de los cuales, quizá, no puedas escapar porque NO te dejan posibilidad a deshabilitarlos (a menos que NO te tengan en su lista negra).

Westwegoman

I found where someone else had this problem but didn't see a solution, unless I overlooked it.

2: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, boolean given
File: /Themes/default/Admin.template.php
Line: 903

The code from that line is:
<option value="', $option[0], '"', (($option[0] == $config_var['value'] || (!empty($config_var['multiple']) && in_array($option[0], $config_var['value']))) ? '

HoverClub

Robert - that is (almost) a complete lie, I AM the mod author!  This was my reply to your requests:
QuoteHi

Unfortunately I don't have the time to do any of this work.  I'm not a pro coder and only release mods that I use on the sites I operate on a use-it-or leave-it basis - to reduce support commitments I don't add functionality that I don't have a direct use for.

I'm not part of the coding scene at all so I'm not aware of anyone  else who may be able to help you - sorry!

Arantor

How *dare* you make something and give it away for free, and then not update it for things you never want or need yourself, just because you're a hobbyist and built what you needed and thought it would be nice to share - and be expected, years later, to keep working on it long after it did everything you needed.

This sort of attitude is what I stopped writing mods and eventually removed all my mods, it seemed easier to deal with the small group of 'the mod's gone' complaints vs the much larger number of complaints about how mods I wrote for my use, or for a specific person and decided to share should be partially or totally rewritten to suit someone else.

Shambles

Quote from: HoverClub
This mod needs mods. I contacted the original mod author and he is not...

Robert - that is (almost) a complete lie, I AM the mod author!

I very much doubt he'll hear you, as that post was over 2 years ago and he hasn't visited since ;)

HoverClub

Quote from: Sh@mbles on October 11, 2018, 02:30:41 PM
I very much doubt he'll hear you, as that post was over 2 years ago and he hasn't visited since ;)
Yeh - I realise that but I was checking the thread for any fixable bugs before I released an update and that comment pi$$ed me off more than a bit!

Shambles

dend

Hi

Mod does not install with an error:

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, but the modification could not be parsed

avwebsites

Just FYI:

I got a similar error, running SMF 2.0.15.

I followed the instructions, which didn't help, although I do not know where the temp folder is supposed to be. I'm new with SMF, so maybe it is hidden somewhere.  At any rate, was not able to get it installed.

(btw, looks like a great mod to keep people engaged)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

avwebsites

...I played around with it a bit more, and got it installed OK.  What I did is unzipped the files into a folder, and the uploaded the folder with all of the files into the Package folder.  I couldn't get the package to show up in the "browse packages" section, but finally the package manager "found" it.

naijacrux

@op,please help,this mod no longer sending newsletter, it  works when i was using smf 2.0.13 but since i installed smf 2.0.15 its not working,i am also using the news mod latest version,i  have the mails in queue but its not sending out any newsletter.

my forum email is working,test mail works fine, what could be the cause of this,i have tried php, smtp,nothing works.can you tell the maximum emails that must be in queue before this mod send out newsletter, could it be that i have many mail in queue,i have upto thousands of members

please check attached mail queue

HoverClub

There is some issue with your hosting I would say - probably limits email rate (100 per hour is common) to avoid being listed as a spam source, and the site is sending more than that (only way I can explain why there are nearly 95000 emails in the queue!).  Check the queue after a while to see if the oldest emails get sent (removed) if not then there is an issue with the SMF sendmail process.  If they do get sent then the problem is with the host.  Alternatively, you could delete the oldest in the queue or just delete all of them from the database mail_queue  and watch what happens 

naijacrux

Quote from: HoverClub on May 10, 2020, 04:50:33 AM
There is some issue with your hosting I would say - probably limits email rate (100 per hour is common) to avoid being listed as a spam source, and the site is sending more than that (only way I can explain why there are nearly 95000 emails in the queue!).  Check the queue after a while to see if the oldest emails get sent (removed) if not then there is an issue with the SMF sendmail process.  If they do get sent then the problem is with the host.  Alternatively, you could delete the oldest in the queue or just delete all of them from the database mail_queue  and watch what happens

Thank you for your response.the sendmail on the smf is working perfectly.i have sent newsletter directly from the newsletter section to group members and it worked.i have also ran testmail php it worked.i have also sent email from my cpanel Using the forum email linked to the forum and it worked .It is the automatic newsletter mod that is not sending out. I have even empty the queue and ran the newsletter again it only went to queue and mails were not sent out. I also noticed that the queue processing is not complete the length should be more than that. The queue process always stops have way. No mail is being sent out. The hour limit of my hosting is 180 per hour and I have sent mail to send only 3 per minute and 3 per page load yet not mail is going out from the automated newsletter mod. I tried smtp and php none is sending. What could be causing this mod not sending out emails.i just checked the queue again nothing is going out. Does the queue have limit can't it handle large members despite setting it to run 3 mails per minutes I am aware it can span for weeks so I only set newsletter to run only after 31 days due to large members. Yet the mod isn't sending emails out. Please help

KittyGalore

Quote from: naijacrux on May 10, 2020, 06:22:01 AM
Quote from: HoverClub on May 10, 2020, 04:50:33 AM

Thank you for your response.the sendmail on the smf is working perfectly.i have sent newsletter directly from the newsletter section to group members and it worked.i have also ran testmail php it worked.i have also sent email from my cpanel Using the forum email linked to the forum and it worked .It is the automatic newsletter mod that is not sending out. I have even empty the queue and ran the newsletter again it only went to queue and mails were not sent out. I also noticed that the queue processing is not complete the length should be more than that. The queue process always stops have way. No mail is being sent out. The hour limit of my hosting is 180 per hour and I have sent mail to send only 3 per minute and 3 per page load yet not mail is going out from the automated newsletter mod. I tried smtp and php none is sending. What could be causing this mod not sending out emails.i just checked the queue again nothing is going out. Does the queue have limit can't it handle large members despite setting it to run 3 mails per minutes I am aware it can span for weeks so I only set newsletter to run only after 31 days due to large members. Yet the mod isn't sending emails out. Please help
Hi so i installed this mod on my test forum and installed ok. So what's the next step to get this to be added to the mail queue ans so on. I will test it and see if it works for me or not.
SMF Curve 2.0x

Advertisement: