News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Automatic Newsletter for SMF2

Started by HoverClub, March 31, 2012, 12:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoverClub

Double compression probably.
Admin->Configuration->Server Settings->General and clear enable compressed output option should do the trick.

Kreator

I subscribed to my own newsletter, however when I got the email there was nothing.

the preview shows all the boards/Topics, but this is not in the received email  just

get_news
To unsubscribe from this newsletter please click here

any fix??

HoverClub

Current version seems to work fine.  Try re-downloading and installing again (it won't overwrite any subscribers unless you choose to do so).  If it still doesn't work then let me have your site and access and I'll take a look

swordsman1

This is a great mod. I get tons of users join, post for a while, only to then forget about the forum never to return. Periodically I would create a reminder newsletter for all members, manually creating a list of recent topics in an attractive html layout. But creating an HTML newsletter by hand every few weeks is such a bind. This mod essentially does that automatically which is wonderful.

My suggestions for improvement are as follows.

An option for all members to be joined by default. I have thousands of dormant members who no longer visit who I'd like to send it to and I'm sure they would appreciate getting it (if not they can click the link to immediately unsubscribe).

Instead of a list of Latest Posts it would be better to have Recently Updated Topics. Otherwise posts from a popular topic will swamp out all other topics. And have them grouped into their individual boards rather than all mixed together.

Can the subscribe/unsubscribe line be moved off the homepage as it just adds unnecessary clutter in quite a prominent position. Instead have a newsletter link among the existing menu items at the top, to link to a seperate page with the options to subscribe/unsubscribe.

Have a section in the newletter for a customised message to tell the recipients whats new since the last newslettter etc.

Rafferty

Great mod, well done. I just got my first auto newsletter through my email with a couple of problems:

1. The Title is blank

2. As per the attachment, left hand icons are not displaying.

Hope these can be fixed.

As a final suggestion, Id like to see an admin function to add subscribers.
Don't Follow me I got No Idea what I'm Doing

HoverClub

Quote from: swordsman1 on May 05, 2012, 10:51:25 AM
An option for all members to be joined by default. I have thousands of dormant members who no longer visit who I'd like to send it to and I'm sure they would appreciate getting it (if not they can click the link to immediately unsubscribe).
I'm not a fan of unsolicited email (i.e. spam!) and doing this would risk the forum server being branded as a spam source.

QuoteInstead of a list of Latest Posts it would be better to have Recently Updated Topics.
The list actually shows the newest post in the most recent topics.  Not sure if a recipient would be much interested in a board title - it's the subject that's the key thing I would reckon.

QuoteCan the subscribe/unsubscribe line be moved off the homepage as it just adds unnecessary clutter in quite a prominent position.
I'll put this on the list - maybe a selection of places could be added.

QuoteHave a section in the newletter for a customised message to tell the recipients whats new since the last newslettter etc.
You can use the news fader to do this - just add your what's new as the latest news fader item and it will appear in the newsletter (you don't need to have the news fader enabled on the forum for the last itme to be included in the newsletter).

Quote from: Rafferty on May 06, 2012, 11:47:23 PM
1. The Title is blank
2. As per the attachment, left hand icons are not displaying. [/quot]
1. Do you mean the title in the email body?  If so it uses the current theme Logo image URL - if there isn't one then nothing will show.
2. Check the settings on your email client - it's probably blocking inline images.

Rafferty

The Email Subject is blank

I use Mozilla Thunderbird, cant find any inline settings. Other similar emails seem to display properly however, just not this one.

Also didnt mention before, see attached shot. the forum stats not appearing fully

HoverClub

There is something wrong with the text strings or theme on your forum - try removing and re-installing the mod.  Several text strings seem to be missing (some of them are installed with the mod so shouldn't be missing unless deleted after the mod was installed).

Thunderbird also has problems showing HTML emails from other sources in my experience.  The newsletter displays fine in Outlook, etc.

swordsman1

Quote from: HoverClub on May 07, 2012, 03:42:41 AM
Quote from: swordsman1 on May 05, 2012, 10:51:25 AM
I'm not a fan of unsolicited email (i.e. spam!) and doing this would risk the forum server being branded as a spam source.

It would be no more spam that the existing SMF newsletter facility which allows you to send newsletters to all existing members. As there, if members have chosen not to receive announcements then they shouldn't get newsletters. On top of that they can also unsubscribe after receiving the first newsletter.

Rafferty

Quote from: HoverClub on May 07, 2012, 06:18:01 AM
There is something wrong with the text strings or theme on your forum - try removing and re-installing the mod.  Several text strings seem to be missing (some of them are installed with the mod so shouldn't be missing unless deleted after the mod was installed).

Thunderbird also has problems showing HTML emails from other sources in my experience.  The newsletter displays fine in Outlook, etc.

Its the standard default theme. The newsletter also displays fine when reviewing. Ive re installed the mod and Ill see how I go. Possibly another mod interfering with it?

Thanks

HoverClub

Quote from: swordsman1 on May 07, 2012, 06:45:18 AM
It would be no more spam that the existing SMF newsletter facility which allows you to send newsletters to all existing members. As there, if members have chosen not to receive announcements then they shouldn't get newsletters. On top of that they can also unsubscribe after receiving the first newsletter.
May be - however, it's against my religion to allow unsolicited mail - sorry  :)

swordsman1

Quote from: HoverClub on May 07, 2012, 02:41:50 PM
Quote from: swordsman1 on May 07, 2012, 06:45:18 AM
May be - however, it's against my religion to allow unsolicited mail - sorry  :)

Thats a shame. I don't think anyone else would consider the current SMF newsletter facility of sending newsletters to all members as immoral!

HoverClub

Quote from: swordsman1 on May 07, 2012, 03:10:35 PMThats a shame. I don't think anyone else would consider the current SMF newsletter facility of sending newsletters to all members as immoral!

Difference is that one is manual (recipient has not explicitly given consent) and this mod is automatic (recipient HAS consented).  I'm sure if you sent an SMF news mail every week to every member then you'd get some complaints  ;)

swordsman1

Quote from: HoverClub on May 08, 2012, 03:24:48 AM
Difference is that one is manual (recipient has not explicitly given consent) and this mod is automatic (recipient HAS consented).  I'm sure if you sent an SMF news mail every week to every member then you'd get some complaints  ;)

No, with SMF manual newsletters the owner can send newsletters to members with or without their consent, by clicking the tickbox to observe their announcement preferences. Similarly with this mod I'd envisage a button in the admin section to add them to the newsletter subscription list only if they have opted to receive announcements. And just as with manual newsletters the recipients can easily cancel if their don't like getting them. So I don't really see the problem.

I won't press it any more though, it's your mod. :)

!RFAN

Quote from: !RFAN on April 10, 2012, 11:13:42 PM
after installation i got this error after redirection:

function ModifyNewsltrSettings($return_config = false) { global $txt, $scripturl, $context, $settings, $sc, $modSettings, $smcFunc; // get list of boards... $result = $smcFunc['db_query']('', 'SELECT id_board, name FROM {db_prefix}boards'); $boards = array(0=>$txt['newsltr_includeall']); // include all boards while ($row = $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($result)) $boards[$row['id_board']] = $row['name']; // get total subscribers $result = $smcFunc['db_query']('', 'SELECT COUNT(*) AS c FROM {db_prefix}hcb_newsletter'); $c = $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($result); $count = $c['c']; $smcFunc['db_free_result']($result); $config_vars = array( array('check', 'newsltr_stats'), array('check', 'newsltr_news'), array('check', 'newsltr_events'), '', array('int', 'newsltr_topic_count'), array('check', 'newsltr_use_perms'), array('select', 'newsltr_exclude_boards', $boards, 'multiple'=>true,), array('desc','newsltr_prev', 'text_label'=>'[' . $txt['newsubscribe_mod_preview'] . ']'), array('desc','newsltr_subscribed', 'text_label'=> $count . $txt['newsubscribe_mod_subscribed']), array('desc','newsltr_delete', 'text_label'=>'[' . $txt['newsubscribe_mod_delmail'] . ']'), ); if ($return_config) return $config_vars; $context['post_url'] = $scripturl . '?action=admin;area=modsettings;save;sa=newsltr'; $context['settings_title'] = $txt['newsubscribe_mod_title']; // Saving? if (isset($_GET['save'])) { checkSession(); $save_vars = $config_vars; saveDBSettings($save_vars); redirectexit('action=admin;area=modsettings;sa=newsltr'); } prepareDBSettingContext($config_vars); }
Fatal error: Call to undefined function ModifyNewsltrSettings() in /home/XXXX/public_html/Sources/ManageSettings.php on line 219

HoverClub

Does the mod install without any file mod errors showing before you click "Install Now"?  Do the mod settings work OK after the installation (Admin...Configuration->Modification Settings->Newsletter)?  If not, it isn't installing properly (give me a link and access and I'll take a look).  If it does work then I can't explain why the settings file hasn't been updated just after install (maybe a server file cache someplace hasn't been updated quickly enough?).

toolbox

Great mod.
Only problem is keep getting this error in the log since installing, any ideas please ?

http://www.cwht.co.uk/cwht/cwht-forum-2012/index.php?http://www.cwht.co.uk/cwht/cwht-forum-2012/ [nofollow]
8: Undefined variable: news_ltr
File: /xx/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/xxxxxxxx/cwht-forum-2012/Themes/default/languages/GoogleMap.english.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 121

Thanks.

HoverClub

No idea why I'm afraid.  Where did the GoogleMap fle come from (a mod?)?   The only template file modified is BoardIndex.php - if you want to send me your copy I'll take a look.

toolbox

GoogleMap is a mod and with this uninstalled the error then shows as BoardIndex.php.

Have found that it only happens when a person looks at our main front page without being logged in.

Advertisement: