News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Chat

Started by bdtcomp, April 01, 2012, 08:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdtcomp

Hi and April Fools to you all.  8)

I have a new chat, designed similar to a weight-loss forum, that went down due to finances, so I am hosting it, temporarily until the old site can get back on it's feet. One of the members suggested a Chat room, and I have done this experimentally on my website before. I think this is a great idea! And even more I saw 'Integrated Chat Mod' on Simple Machines and also 123 Flash Chat. I like the 'Integrated Chat Mod' as it looks like I could log in MIRC or on my Droid app.

I am using SMF 2.0.2 and good at doing edits on FTP, but if there is a package that can do the install manually would prefer. And I assume this is free, no server charges for the chat? I have a really great budget which is 'time and my wonderful wife' and zero cash!

TheListener

I would suggest ajax chat integration version 3.2.2 which can be found within the mods pages.

Various edits can be added to it such as a word filter, welcome etc.

bdtcomp

Quote from: Old Fossil on April 01, 2012, 10:42:11 AM
I would suggest ajax chat integration version 3.2.2 which can be found within the mods pages.

Thanks. My left side column with the navigation somehow doesn't show, I am not sure where the mods pages are?

TheListener

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=257973.0

Go to the top of the main page and look at the Customize link. That is where you will find the mods.

bdtcomp

Thanks, I have been busy getting our new site running, and have found the mods section. That sounds like it will be good. I found version 3.2.1.   :)

TheListener

Quote from: bdtcomp on April 01, 2012, 12:20:36 PM
Thanks, I have been busy getting our new site running, and have found the mods section. That sounds like it will be good. I found version 3.2.1.   :)

Version 3.2.1 will NOT work which is why I said 3.2.2

bdtcomp

Quote from: Old Fossil on April 01, 2012, 12:21:56 PM

The latest version I see is 3.2.1?

TheListener

Quote from: bdtcomp on April 01, 2012, 12:27:15 PM
Quote from: Old Fossil on April 01, 2012, 12:21:56 PM

The latest version I see is 3.2.1?

I also said to look through the mods pages for the current version.

bdtcomp

I have searched for 3.2.2 and not one item shown on smf. I saw on Google, a site with 3.2.2 and they offer a free trial. But as I said I am doing this as a favor for a group, that is trying to get it's feet back up, and I am on the cheap, by offering them free hosting, since I have plenty to spare, and it is just my wife and my time, which is considerable right now.  8)

bdtcomp

Old Fossil, Do you have a copy of 3.2.2?

TheListener

Quote from: bdtcomp on April 01, 2012, 07:51:14 PM

Old Fossil, Do you have a copy of 3.2.2?

Look for reply 8092

oops

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=257973.msg3144830#msg3144830

bdtcomp

Thanks, I have downloaded it, and am backing up the files, and then saving the databases, before trying an install!

bdtcomp

Well the message I got after trying to install, was that it failed or was corrupt for the version I had, 2.0.2. I guess I will have to wait!

TheListener

Quote from: bdtcomp on April 01, 2012, 09:38:33 PM
Well the message I got after trying to install, was that it failed or was corrupt for the version I had, 2.0.2. I guess I will have to wait!

Use the Mod Emulate link in my signature.

bdtcomp

I printed your instructions and am thinking I should put the forum in maintenance mode while I try this. Thanks!

bdtcomp

I am going to give up for the night. I got this message,

Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.

I will check to see whether I need to reinstall the files, I hope not. But it might work but I don't want to be up all night with this. Thanks, and maybe I will get this to work eventually!  8)

ishy

I'm using Blab! I tried out a few including the mod and it was by far the best.

I didn't integrate it, but what I did was put in a custom menu button (via the new menu editor mod) and a block in SimplePortal with the number of chatters:
Quote<script type="text/javascript" src="chat/online.php"></script> chatters are now online.</ br>
<script type="text/javascript" src="chat/online.php?mode=1"></script></ br></ br>

<a href="http://www.technochicks.net/forum/chat/blab.php">Go to the chat room</a>

bdtcomp

Thanks Ishy, I may try this!  :)

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: