News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

End of life of SMF 1.0

Started by Norv, April 02, 2012, 07:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norv

In order to help focus development with the next generation of technologies and the best way to help evolve forum software, the SMF team would like to announce that we will be ending all support for our SMF 1.0 series software as of December 31, 2012. SMF 1.0 was released to the world in December 2004 and has been supported for more than eight years.

Anyone still using a 1.0 release should investigate migrating to SMF 1.1 or SMF 2.0, which will continue to receive support for the forseeable future. We highly recommend a migration to our 2.0 series as updates for the 1.1 series is limited to security updates only.

These days, the SMF 1.0.x line is very outdated, even though it still receives security patches. Hardly any sites still use it, and we rarely if ever receive support requests for it. Since it is almost completely irrelevant to SMF users these days, we have decided to recognize that it has reached the end of its working life, and put our effort towards other things that are more useful to our users.

Please note:
We will continue to support the SMF 1.1.x and SMF 2.0.x lines for as long as there is a significant need for them in the community.

For more information, please see:

Regards,

Simple Machines Forum Project
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Looking

Time to upgrade! I've been upgrading client sites and haven't done my own, looks like this is the message to get started!

青山 素子

Quote from: Looking on April 02, 2012, 07:56:40 PM
Time to upgrade! I've been upgrading client sites and haven't done my own, looks like this is the message to get started!

Wow, someone is still running 1.0 in production?
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

CountryLady

Wise plan, N. N. Onward and Upward into the future of SMF and it's heirs.

Thanks to all who worked with SMF 1.0 and in so doing led us to SMS 1.1 and SMF 2.0.

Good Work, Team!

agridoc

I started SMF with 1.01 about 7 years ago after testing several forum software.

SMF was releasing security fix patches for 1.0 until recently. This shows the respect for users and their choices.

BTW how about a Timeline page showing the history of SMF versions?
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod
Δeν αφιερώνω χρόνο για μηνύματα σε greeklish.

SleePy

aaah... You where supposed to end it on the 21st of december!
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

ApplianceJunk

Quote from: SleePy on April 02, 2012, 11:21:28 PM

Yes, all will be coming to a end then. ;)

Matthew K.

Yeah seriously, I thought that was the plan :P

Deaks

shame we didnt post on Sunday :P
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on April 03, 2012, 12:29:22 AM
Yeah seriously, I thought that was the plan :P
Thought so too...
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Crip

I received an Email..?

SM 1.0 is very popular even to this day , some refuse to Update 2.0 .. just my 2¢..
I have become comfortably numb!

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.
   - Abraham Lincoln -

TOTM Winner. | Demo Site1on1 Theme Support

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Crip on April 03, 2012, 05:54:11 AM
I received an Email..?

SM 1.0 is very popular even to this day , some refuse to Update 2.0 .. just my 2¢..
You are now confusing 1.0 and 1.1.

We are continuing to support 1.1.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Norv

Quote from: ApplianceJunk on April 02, 2012, 11:27:39 PM

Yes, all will be coming to a end then. ;)

Yes, I'm no fun, isn't it? ;D

But hey, look at it the other way around: after 21st it won't matter anyway!

Quote from: agridoc on April 02, 2012, 11:08:28 PM
I started SMF with 1.01 about 7 years ago after testing several forum software.

SMF was releasing security fix patches for 1.0 until recently. This shows the respect for users and their choices.

BTW how about a Timeline page showing the history of SMF versions?

You mean, including patches? Theoretically all information that such pages would contain exists publicly already... but they're not systematized this way. We could do that, if it's useful - and it probably is. Our archives are quite messy otherwise. It's good you can filter them, for the rest, there's nothing clear about the SMF releases in there, when and what type of release that was.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

agridoc

Quote from: N. N. on April 03, 2012, 09:39:36 AMTheoretically all information that such pages would contain exists publicly already... but they're not systematized this way. We could do that, if it's useful - and it probably is. Our archives are quite messy otherwise. It's good you can filter them, for the rest, there's nothing clear about the SMF releases in there, when and what type of release that was.

Maybe a SMF versions Timeline is something for the Docs Team. I don't believe is something that is needed but something that would be good to have. It needs quite some search to be made, after that maintaining would be easy.
  For Greek aeromodellers and our friends around the world  - Greek Button sets for SMF - Greeklish to Greek mod
Δeν αφιερώνω χρόνο για μηνύματα σε greeklish.

Fustrate

We've tried to get our history together in the past, but I don't recall it ever going anywhere. Every once in a while, a team member steps up to do it, then gets caught up in other things :P
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

gisfreak

same thought ,  ;D
Me fail English? That's unpossible.

sharks

I'm still using SMF 1.1.x across more than a dozen live forums and it's working very well, and with all the custom paid modifications that i have invested into it, which are unfortunately not compatible with SMF 2.0, i don't see myself upgrading to 2.0 any time soon. So, thanks a lot to SMF for keeping up the updates for 1.1.x. Actually, on my daily cyber trekking, i've seen more 1.1.x forums than 2.0.x but maybe it's just me.

Suki

Just to clarify, the end of life is for SMF 1.0, not 1.1.x.

1.1.x will still receive support.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Matthew K.

@Suki - Sharks understood that, which is why he said thanks for keeping it supported :)

Suki

I know, it wasn't directed to him, just a general reminder, that's all.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Advertisement: