Add Group Permissions to allow editing of Custom Profile Fields

Started by rpalmer68, April 03, 2012, 06:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpalmer68

I'd like to request that the changes detailed in the post below are added to SMF 2.x as I believe it adds some much needed functionality.

Custom profile fields are great, and I use them extensively, but I need a group of members to be permitted to edit some of them but I don't want them having Admin access.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=463821.msg3238753#msg3238753

Thanks

emanuele

mmm...I stumble upon the same request recently.
I've to say I don't know why the edit permission was wired to admins and not linked to the permission "profile_extra_any".
Any idea?

Reference topic: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=491956.msg3454012#msg3454012

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

emanuele

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

realJedi

Hello and thank you for your kind help, emanuele.

It seems as if my request is technically a little different, as I don't just want to set permissions to edit these fields, but (based on the usergroups) who actually is abled to view the fields. Maybe this should match the problem as well, so I hope to hear about eventual official improvements soon because the rest of my tech-team would hate me for the necessarily manual implemented changes :D

Greetings

Booda

Arantor

It's not going to happen in 2.0, reasonably unlikely in 2.1.

emanuele

Quote from: realJedi on March 29, 2013, 09:51:23 PM
It seems as if my request is technically a little different, as I don't just want to set permissions to edit these fields, but (based on the usergroups) who actually is abled to view the fields. Maybe this should match the problem as well, so I hope to hear about eventual official improvements soon because the rest of my tech-team would hate me for the necessarily manual implemented changes :D
Oh, sorry, I misread the post. :)

Both are related anyway.
In terms of access I wouldn't give a full permissions based system to view them (I don't know if it would be so useful), but I would give another level:
* everyone
* allowed to profile_extra_any and admins
* admins only

Anyway, even if this would be implemented in 2.1 (and since I consider it a bug I would say it makes sense) I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it (there is still no beta, so even if one would be out today, I think there would be at least something like 9 months of testing (i.e. beta+RC) before a release) and go with a mod or a manual modification. ;)

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

Advertisement: